[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiery84

Reaction score
anyone here using 8 TB seagate barracuda as a nas drive? The pricing for this hdd seems cheapter than most 8TBs.

alphonse

Reaction score
Hi all, I am having a DS218 with 2x 8TB HDD.

How can I tell if I am using both disk? e.g. 1x8TB for data and 1x8TB for backup??

I'm just worried that I'm only using 1 disk. Then no redundancy liao...

7QqELKi.png

Both hard disks are being used. It is configured as SHR with 1 drive fault tolerance which is like raid 1.

kentona

Reaction score
Hi all, for those using Synology and macbook, can I know if there are issues with your macbook photos located in the nas?

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am not into nas but minor flamebait spotted.

it is not about buying any ext hdd rather it is about getting a wd red from inside one.

how does 5400rpm hdd be less durable? common sense means they use less power therefore less heat and quieter and their lifespan can turn out to be longer than drives that spin at higher rpm not to mention it is less expensive too.

That is not how we measure reliability of drives. Enterprise drives operate at 10-15Krpms, dissipating more heat, generally still end up more reliable. While we can argue that those price range are different, they are still after all hardwares. Hence we can only truly ascertain the durability of hard drives through statistics, not simply just decide base on heat generated and or other factors on their own. The quality and design of the harddisk matters too.

Besides the way how harddisk are used also matters. In my case, my NAS hardly shutdown, since I am also connected to surveillance cameras writing all the time to the harddisk, my harddisks generally is running without hibernation 24x7. Despite that they still works flawlessly typically more than 4years and some stretching into 6years. In fact, I had to upgrade them because I ran out of spaces, not because they are damaged.

You can refer to the Backblazer 2019 report. While the top most failure is a 7200rpm harddisk, the one trailing behind is immediately a 5400rpm harddisk. Unless the rest in the stats are all only 5400rpm harddisks, then the statement of placing 5400rpm harddisks are more durable might be statistically true. :)

Last edited:

chercm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i understand that ds918 can run vm on them , is it able to support running 2 vm - window 10 and the other server os?

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am having a DS218 with 2x 8TB HDD.

How can I tell if I am using both disk? e.g. 1x8TB for data and 1x8TB for backup??

I'm just worried that I'm only using 1 disk. Then no redundancy liao...

7QqELKi.png

u r using both. is on redundancy mode.

acechub

Reaction score
That is not how we measure reliability of drives. Enterprise drives operate at 10-15Krpms, dissipating more heat, generally still end up more reliable. While we can argue that those price range are different, they are still after all hardwares. Hence we can only truly ascertain the durability of hard drives through statistics, not simply just decide base on heat generated and or other factors on their own. The quality and design of the harddisk matters too.

Besides the way how harddisk are used also matters. In my case, my NAS hardly shutdown, since I am also connected to surveillance cameras writing all the time to the harddisk, my harddisks generally is running without hibernation 24x7. Despite that they still works flawlessly typically more than 4years and some stretching into 6years. In fact, I had to upgrade them because I ran out of spaces, not because they are damaged.

You can refer to the Backblazer 2019 report. While the top most failure is a 7200rpm harddisk, the one trailing behind is immediately a 5400rpm harddisk. Unless the rest in the stats are all only 5400rpm harddisks, then the statement of placing 5400rpm harddisks are more durable might be statistically true. :)

you have taken my post out of context. i am refuting an earlier post containing the line 'Those drives are 5400rpm and won't be as durable for 24/7 operations.' not as a statement that 5400rpm hdd are more durable but rather how can it be less durable than other rpm hdd in the same grade & tier.

2019 & backblaze stats still a thing? stats are easily manipulated & misinterpreted. take them with a grain of salt.

https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/...bility-myth-the-real-story-covered/index.html

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you have taken my post out of context. i am refuting an earlier post containing the line 'Those drives are 5400rpm and won't be as durable for 24/7 operations.' not as a statement that 5400rpm hdd are more durable but rather how can it be less durable than other rpm hdd in the same grade & tier.

2019 & backblaze stats still a thing? stats are easily manipulated & misinterpreted. take them with a grain of salt.

https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/...bility-myth-the-real-story-covered/index.html

honestly, i don't believe in backblze

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i understand that ds918 can run vm on them , is it able to support running 2 vm - window 10 and the other server os?

yes and no

1. depends on amount of ram you have
2. ur CPU will maxed out if u are trying to do something intensive.
3. i won't really suggest win os as it is resource intensive on the NAS.

glidingqy

Reaction score
My DS415+ just kaput.

Orange blinking LEDs then auto power off.

If I were to get the DS918+ can I just swap my drives over and not lose data?

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
no issue as long is same brand, same os.

mainly is same OS.

My DS415+ just kaput.

Orange blinking LEDs then auto power off.

If I were to get the DS918+ can I just swap my drives over and not lose data?

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
dont understand why my drive all got error... even i did not do anything E#@#@#@#@

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
i use Synology DS416.

at first is 2 toshiba 4tb has bad sector
now got 1 red has problem also... sian

i get the 8tb first than repair..
i think the wd red one, just need to repair.. but 2 toshiba 4tb really got bad sector..

Is your NAS a DIY one or Synology? And what HDD too?

Last edited:

stam

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone know where and how much to buy the synology surveillance license? I have more than 2 cameras, need additional license for 1 more camera. Thanks.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i use Synology DS416.

at first is 2 toshiba 4tb has bad sector
now got 1 red has problem also... sian

i get the 8tb first than repair..
i think the wd red one, just need to repair.. but 2 toshiba 4tb really got bad sector..

I guess you are really unlucky.

In my case:

Current:
DS418
4x 2TB Toshiba 7200rpm HDD (same batch) from Tradepac

Past:
DS414

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
my is 4tb from Tradepac..

ur is 2tb :p

tio bad sector, scan still can reuse a not ?
i havent scan yet... but the os say got 20+ bad sector.

I guess you are really unlucky.

In my case:

Current:
DS418

Past:
DS414

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.