Wechat wallet

zzxxzzxx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how about instarem, revolut, ofx etc.?

Instarem do not deal with end user in China.
Only for businesses.

Most remittance companies needed to China ID.
Thou I have never asked if I can xfer to my own account.

Sausage

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone got the wechat wallet to appear? I changed to chinese but it still does not appear in my options

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI 7 using GAGT

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone got the wechat wallet to appear? I changed to chinese but it still does not appear in my options

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI 7 using GAGT

Just ask someone with proper WeChat account to send RMB1 red packet to you and then follow the instructions.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
tried leh. cannot accept the red packet

That is correct. You asked how to activate the wallet function and that was the way.

But then you will not be able to top up by yourself since you will not be able to receive red packets or receive transfers without linking to a China bank card.

It is easier to use Alipay now. Activate Tourpass first, then ask others to transfer to you. Then you can use both Tourpass prepaid account (up to RMB 5000, valid for 90 days) and Alipay balance (limit unknown, valid for long time).

If you still want to use WeChat Pay, go to 3rd party top up services. Not so sure how they work though.

pustefix

Reaction score
also to note that Didi cannot be linked to tourpass, only alipay wallet.

Just came back from Yunnan and Didi is working with my tourpass. I used the didi mini program from Alipay, after setting start and destination, I need to prepaid a certain amount. During payment you can select the Shanghai prepaid card which is tourpass. The unused amount will be refunded back to you after the trip.

senght

Reaction score
Hi anyone knows how to transfer unused funds from Alipay wallet back to the credit card?

Velton

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't go for the top-tier banks to open the account. Your best bet will be the rural banks as there are less stringent. Try not to open them in top-tier cities too. Very likely to get rejected.

And yes, to open a bank account, a local Chinese SIM card is required. It's used for SMS verification.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That is correct. You asked how to activate the wallet function and that was the way.

But then you will not be able to top up by yourself since you will not be able to receive red packets or receive transfers without linking to a China bank card.

It is easier to use Alipay now. Activate Tourpass first, then ask others to transfer to you. Then you can use both Tourpass prepaid account (up to RMB 5000, valid for 90 days) and Alipay balance (limit unknown, valid for long time).

If you still want to use WeChat Pay, go to 3rd party top up services. Not so sure how they work though.

BTW, some prior reports say that you can use WeChat PC version to top up by receiving red packets or transfer from others. You can give that a try.

bjornng

Master Member
Reaction score
hey guys! i will be heading to shanghai tomorrow, and i have linked my cc to wechat pay. my wechat wallet as 0 yuan.

i was thinking, is it possible if i can use the cc linked to wechat pay, to pay for didi rides? i have already linked didi to wechat, though i was only able to select cash.

i wasn't able to link my cc to didi directly - it was stuck in the loading screen for ages.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hey guys! i will be heading to shanghai tomorrow, and i have linked my cc to wechat pay. my wechat wallet as 0 yuan.

i was thinking, is it possible if i can use the cc linked to wechat pay, to pay for didi rides? i have already linked didi to wechat, though i was only able to select cash.

i wasn't able to link my cc to didi directly - it was stuck in the loading screen for ages.

Yes you can use Singapore CC to pay for Didi within WeChat app.

Me -- Wechat Pay -- Powered by Third-Party Operator --Ride Hailing.

That is the Didi Mini program (滴滴出行微信小程序).

bjornng

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes you can use Singapore CC to pay for Didi within WeChat app.

Me -- Wechat Pay -- Powered by Third-Party Operator --Ride Hailing.

That is the Didi Mini program (滴滴出行微信小程序).

Ohh okok! Would it be possible for me to book via Didi app directly ? And link it to WeChat pay for the payment?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ohh okok! Would it be possible for me to book via Didi app directly ? And link it to WeChat pay for the payment?

Not so sure about this one. You can try it.

By right you can link your SG CC in the Didi app but not so sure why you are not able to do that.

bjornng

Master Member
Reaction score
Not so sure about this one. You can try it.

By right you can link your SG CC in the Didi app but not so sure why you are not able to do that.

Thanks. Yeah it’s pretty weird. It doesn’t load past.

Anyway, it’s quite user unfriendly for me. For eg, yesterday I kept facing the error which says daily payment limit reached, when j never did any. Suddenly, I was able to pay for one. And right now, I’m following the same method I did yesterday for successful payment, and it says daily payment limit reached again (>24hours already). Honestly feels like a hit and miss for it.

Edit: Now my payment account is frozen for trying to input my card too many times. Seriously.....I’m still pending a payment to Didi!

Last edited:

ongxiang

Reaction score
1. Yes you can have wechat wallet on international version of wechat, but if you signed up with a non china phone number you'll have to ask someone with WeChat wallet to send you some money or angbao to activate it.

2. If you don't have China bank card, the only way to top up is to ask someone to transfer money to you. There's also 3rd party services where you pay them in SGD and they'll send you money via wechat.

*But since last year, foreigners without a China bank cards no longer able to receive funds in wechat wallet. You still can spend it though with your balance left in your wallet, just can't receive any funds unless u open a bank account in china. You may want to consider using Alipay as foreigners still able to receive funds without China bank card currently, provided you have done real name authentication with your passport and selfie from app settings.

Hi, I have a few questions about this.

1) is it possible to have wechat wallet in the international version of wechat?

2) if 1) is possible, how can I top up the wallet while I am in Singapore & have no China bank card and etc.

carpediemon

Reaction score
tried and tested method

Hi All, reluctant to share this because had been trying to top up since last year and was restricted by the changes to their banking act. short of flying to china to open a bank account, there seems to be no way after months of trying...

looked through forums and websites and gave up after months of finding a loophole. recently wechat opened up to partner with the pay merchants like visa and mastercard and i believe it opened up a way. not the most eager to share as the more ppl know about this, the more its faster they close this loophole. but i remembered the struggle and frustrations last year when i couldnt top up so just want to help here.

first of all, my rationale for not using alipay instead is because all my frens are on wechat platform and asking all of them for their alipay account is a little troublesome. and i use it mostly to send hongbao to my frens in china so less about being able to purchase stuff in the mainland.

anyways gonna give a clue here, i tried all the methods mentioned here and one of them worked, so if you need the top up badly, go read some of the suggestions here. I was successful from another source but i see someone here mentioned the same method.

the setup is you need definitely to activate your wallet by binding a credit card, then next for the i-bank card step notification, i got around it by another way.

thks.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi All, reluctant to share this because had been trying to top up since last year and was restricted by the changes to their banking act.
anyways gonna give a clue here, i tried all the methods mentioned here and one of them worked, so if you need the top up badly, go read some of the suggestions here. I was successful from another source but i see someone here mentioned the same method.

Other than 3rd party top up services, the only reported working workaround is to use Wechat PC version to receive transfer from others with proper Wechat account. Not so sure if it is working or not.

Last edited:

SibehHL

Reaction score
Seriously if reluctant to share perhaps it’s best not to share.

Don’t ask for monetary rewards either; read forum rules.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.