How to remove built-in furniture?

rimeblade

Reaction score
Hello all,

My built-in wardrobe, table, and bed frame are around 5 years old, and they are yellowing and getting really ugly, so I want to get rid of them.

I read that some people have got contractors to remove and dispose the furniture for them. Is there any companies you guys recommend?

or is it possible to DIY?

Thanks in advance!

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How come only 5 year's and its yellowing? I was living in my previous house for over 20 years & none of the built in furniture discoloured. Just wear & tear only.

I hope you realise once your hack it all away, what remains is gonna look like crap including the floor, walls & ceiling. Fine if you are intending to replace with new built-in furniture otherwise its really gonna look sh*tty.

I would not dream of DIY cos you literally have to hack & smash but be my guest.

petetherock

Reaction score
If it's just the veneer, you can replace that and it will look nice again. The MDF / plywood frames should be ok.

alvineb

Reaction score
I just did that haha, got a resale flat n the previous owner did some really hideous looking built in cabinets in the living room. 1st thing i did was to rip it all out. Plain and simple, just use a penknife and run it along the cabinets adjoining the walls, basically run the entire length of the cabinets with the penknife. Next is where the mess starts lol...i got some part time workers to help rip it out with crowbar n basically just pull it out from the wall. What u have after this, screw holes behind, damaged paint work and wall plaster, well actually thats all, just come scrubbing and cleaning, putty the holes,or just spend some money get painters to come in give it a new coat of paint (plaster if possible, looks way better). Good luck n have fun hehe.

Chalkycliffs

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can diy dismantle kitchen cabinets?

If you are handy with tools, yes, but you will still have to get rid of the broken up materials by paying a professional disposal company.

If it is wood/timber material, not a problem to separate the nails/screws, glue, etc. Hammers and saws can easily break them apart.

But if the counter-top material is natural stone/solid-surface, etc... then that is heavier and harder to DIY dispose.

zheng

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you are handy with tools, yes, but you will still have to get rid of the broken up materials by paying a professional disposal company.

If it is wood/timber material, not a problem to separate the nails/screws, glue, etc. Hammers and saws can easily break them apart.

But if the counter-top material is natural stone/solid-surface, etc... then that is heavier and harder to DIY dispose.

can get town council bulk disposal it?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.