maid wants to travel instead of returning to home country for home leave

Victoria2017

Reaction score
My maid has almost completed her 2-year contract. When discussing about the contract renewal, she asks if I can allow her to divide her 15-day home leave into two parts- during the first part, she will travel to resort like Thailand beach to enjoy a holiday, and during the second parts which is months later, she will return to home country for family reunion. She says her friends’ employers (who are westerners to my knowledge) allow them to do so.
I wonder if such practice is legal or not. Is there any guidelines set by MOM? Appreciate it if anyone can give me some advice

JAson1980

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you mean I need to pay the four air tickets for her two overseas journeys? A bit uncomfortable about that, especially considering I’ve paid her salary higher than the market value

No ba, i think you are obliged to pay for her tickets home, not for her tickets to holiday.

invigo79

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No ba, i think you are obliged to pay for her tickets home, not for her tickets to holiday.
This is correct. You dont need to pay for her air ticket to Thailand.

Sent from Home using GAGT

mummy1234

Banned
Reaction score
These maids keep comparing local hirers to expat hirers and expect local hirers to follow expat standards. When locals don't get expat pay.

mummy1234

Banned
Reaction score
Don't spoil market, must be strict with the maid. If they want expats, let them go and look for expats but if you don't sign transfer letter, they also cannot transfer.

Cryophoenix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need to be strict, not just with maid, but employees in general.

When I’m the boss, I usually don’t allow my employees to take overseas leave. Only local leave is allowed. Not happy can go find new job. :s12:

Victoria2017

Reaction score
That is a valid question. I am also very concerned about it. Will employer be held accountable for hefty medical bills , etc if helper is injured or falls sick during the overseas trip?

Juz curious, f anything happen to her on holiday, will it get employer into trouble?

mummy1234

Banned
Reaction score
Do you mean I need to pay the four air tickets for her two overseas journeys? A bit uncomfortable about that, especially considering I’ve paid her salary higher than the market value

No need to, don't be a carrothead. Just follow contract.

mummy1234

Banned
Reaction score
When 2 year contract up. Maid will always try their luck esp if they know u like her and want her to stay.

mummy1234

Banned
Reaction score
My previous maid found work in Russia on her own devices. Despite the local agency and my efforts to find her a higher paying local employer.

mummy1234

Banned
Reaction score
There r maids who found work in Europe after working here. Ultimately, they want to find a place to migrate to and bring their family over.

genie.

Reaction score
This situation probably occur more with Filipinas. I noticed Filipinos tend to think of themselves as more "Westernized" than other nationalities. They like to consider themselves as more "Americanized". Their ultimate aim is to end up in the US.

The domestic helpers from other nationalities (Indonesia, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, etc) tend to be more family oriented and domesticated. They want to go home.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.