jq75

Honorary Member
Reaction score
tML0vJI.jpg

whats this abt?

BeyondTheSky

Reaction score
Hi all masters here,
I need enlightenment.. my goldfishtank suddenly milky after i do water changes few days ago.. i afraid its bacteria bloom.. previously is ok clear but algae really fast grow.. culprit is my MIL like to on the light too long.. hence i take off the light for these few days.. I don’t know if I accidentally kill too much those goods bacteria bcos i squezze the filter to hard to clean the dirts or what but then today i found my filter pipe like stuck with these small transparent jelly look like.. :s22: is this eggs??
62-F9-A968-85-BE-434-E-8-F19-D2-DB7595-C810.jpg

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
Hi all masters here,
I need enlightenment.. my goldfishtank suddenly milky after i do water changes few days ago.. i afraid its bacteria bloom.. previously is ok clear but algae really fast grow.. culprit is my MIL like to on the light too long.. hence i take off the light for these few days.. I don’t know if I accidentally kill too much those goods bacteria bcos i squezze the filter to hard to clean the dirts or what but then today i found my filter pipe like stuck with these small transparent jelly look like.. :s22: is this eggs??
62-F9-A968-85-BE-434-E-8-F19-D2-DB7595-C810.jpg

Those are gf eggs.
What filter u using?

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
Shiruba HOB pf1000..
Oh no.. my tank very small 10 gallon only and a bit crowded.. i dont think these egg will hatch 😅 is the milky water because the gf lay eggs?

Yes. The water will turn milky when the gf lay eggs.

What type of gf you keeping?

BeyondTheSky

Reaction score
Yes. The water will turn milky when the gf lay eggs.

What type of gf you keeping?

Ryukin gf.
Any suggestion what should i do with the tank ? Do normal water changes and cleaning as usual?
How long till the water will be back normal?
The other gf will eat the egg / fry? 😳😱

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
Ryukin gf.
Any suggestion what should i do with the tank ? Do normal water changes and cleaning as usual?
How long till the water will be back normal?
The other gf will eat the egg / fry? 😳😱

Ryukin can grow very big.
your 10G tank is too small for their potential size esp if you are keeping a few of them.

unless you can keep the eggs in another tank, else, most if not all will not survive.

just do water change should be able to clear the milky water but they will keep laying eggs during the cooler weather.

Miltah

Reaction score
Any expert? :o

Pond use or home use?
Pond u get natural UV already, but helps with green water n some bacteriacidal effect
Won’t clear diatoms or string algae

New tank .. best not to use until cycled. Some medications will require u to off the UV light

UV light also diminish effect with use. Most manufacturers will recommend bulb replacement every 6-12 mths

Last edited:

BeyondTheSky

Reaction score
Ryukin can grow very big.
your 10G tank is too small for their potential size esp if you are keeping a few of them.

unless you can keep the eggs in another tank, else, most if not all will not survive.

just do water change should be able to clear the milky water but they will keep laying eggs during the cooler weather.

i don't have other tanks.. :(
this all fishes is a gift that my daughter get from her uncle..
i know the tank is too small for 5 pcs of it.. :(
but i have no strength to do the water changes for bigger tank.. lift the water bucket is very heavy.. :s13:

do i need to manually pick the eggs to move it ? or just move it all with the plants or where the eggs attached to ?

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
i don't have other tanks.. :(
this all fishes is a gift that my daughter get from her uncle..
i know the tank is too small for 5 pcs of it.. :(
but i have no strength to do the water changes for bigger tank.. lift the water bucket is very heavy.. :s13:

do i need to manually pick the eggs to move it ? or just move it all with the plants or where the eggs attached to ?

hope you super charged your HOB filter as gf is a super waste producer and a HOB filter is the worst filter to use in its stock form.
can go youtube to see how to super charge a HOB filter.

with a good filtration sys, you can don't need to do as freq WC as possible.

there is no need to remove the eggs as they will be eaten up. they are super sticky. so very difficult to get rid off esp you got stones and wood in the tank.

GF is best keep in a bare tank. :)

BeyondTheSky

Reaction score
hope you super charged your HOB filter as gf is a super waste producer and a HOB filter is the worst filter to use in its stock form.
can go youtube to see how to super charge a HOB filter.

with a good filtration sys, you can don't need to do as freq WC as possible.

there is no need to remove the eggs as they will be eaten up. they are super sticky. so very difficult to get rid off esp you got stones and wood in the tank.

GF is best keep in a bare tank. :)

yeah i modify the filter with some sponge, carbon and ceramic rings (cmiiw) ?:s13:
been a year with this filter so far so good, i just shake abit the filter weekly on the dirty water when i clean them.. and change the carbon each month .. :s13: they poop really alot honestly..
and not help with all the eldery and kids super excited to over feed them daily.. :(
i add another sponge filter inside the tank.. for bacteria to grow ?
because i think it not do any cleaning job at all :s22:

Last edited:

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
yeah i modify the filter with some sponge, carbon and ceramic rings (cmiiw) ?:s13:
been a year with this filter so far so good, i just shake abit the filter weekly on the dirty water when i clean them.. and change the carbon each month .. :s13: they poop really alot honestly..
and not help with all the eldery and kids super excited to over feed them daily.. :(
i add another sponge filter inside the tank.. for bacteria to grow ?
because i think it not do any cleaning job at all :s22:

you can add a sponge filter.
the key feature of any filter is to grow beneficial bacteria. secondary feature is removing the poo.

WC is a must as too much NO3 built up will also kill the fish.

as you tank is small, remember to fill up as much water as possible.
don't let too much water evaporate.

MrTheROCK

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Pond use or home use?
Pond u get natural UV already, but helps with green water n some bacteriacidal effect
Won’t clear diatoms or string algae

New tank .. best not to use until cycled. Some medications will require u to off the UV light

UV light also diminish effect with use. Most manufacturers will recommend bulb replacement every 6-12 mths

For home use :o

To kill bacteria :o

Miltah

Reaction score
For home use :o

To kill bacteria :o

How big is the tank? Frankly for the price of most sterilisers I think it’s an overkill

The cheaper option is if u have sump and just throw a submersible Uv light in the last sump .. these are usually only $30-50

BeyondTheSky

Reaction score
you can add a sponge filter.
the key feature of any filter is to grow beneficial bacteria. secondary feature is removing the poo.

WC is a must as too much NO3 built up will also kill the fish.

as you tank is small, remember to fill up as much water as possible.
don't let too much water evaporate.

i did use WC for the tap water when i do water changes, 1 bottle last me a year.. usually i will keep the water at least one night before..
i don't know though if the WC have expiry date or shelf life.. :s13:
also use API stress coat..

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
i did use WC for the tap water when i do water changes, 1 bottle last me a year.. usually i will keep the water at least one night before..

WC is water change.
not water conditioner.

sorry for the miscomm. :o

for GF, need to do large WC at least 2x a week.

Miltah

Reaction score

Put some money plant and u can try seachem purigen 100ml packet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.