Random screen hangs/sys restarts when gaming

SkiBlu3

Reaction score
Recently been having random screen hangs or quick hang and auto restart on my system. This triggers during gaming only.

No issues with PC during normal use. Event logs dont show any specific error and sometimes nothing is logged just before restart.

Is this likely cpu/mothernoard issue?

Godeau

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Things to check or try:

Reseating your ram (try different ram slots, or just 1 stick at a time)

Download hwmonitor and check your cpu temp when you game, might be a case of dried thermal paste overheating your cpu

It could also be your psu that is aging and causing problems, not supplying enough power under loads

SkiBlu3

Reaction score
Things to check or try:

Reseating your ram (try different ram slots, or just 1 stick at a time)

Download hwmonitor and check your cpu temp when you game, might be a case of dried thermal paste overheating your cpu

It could also be your psu that is aging and causing problems, not supplying enough power under loads

Will event log show cpu overheat warning if it is truly a case of dried thermal paste? Or can i only monitor using HWmonitor

SkiBlu3

Reaction score
Nope, I do not overclock.

Sys spec:
Asrock B85m pro with i5-4460 and 2x4gb crucial value ram
650w superflower leadex psu and rtx 2060 gpu

I checked bios right after i had to restart a couple of times and each time CPU and mb temps are well below 60 deg.

One thing i do notice is often after a freeze or auto restart, power to my usb ports (kb and mouse) seem to be lagging. My kb and mouse only power up after the windows loading screen is shown, so basically i am unable to go into bios right after restart.

Rashkae

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Quite old parts... Honestly, could be your motherboard dying liao.

tsteo77

Reaction score
Recently been having random screen hangs or quick hang and auto restart on my system. This triggers during gaming only.

No issues with PC during normal use. Event logs dont show any specific error and sometimes nothing is logged just before restart.

Is this likely cpu/mothernoard issue?

If the problem not due to overheat, maybe due to bugs with your softwares (driver, win 10 or game).

vironix

Reaction score
Off topic, Doesn't the 4460 bottleneck the rtx 2060?

Sent from the anal hair of Thanos using GAGT

Xethos

Reaction score
Nope, I do not overclock.

Sys spec:
Asrock B85m pro with i5-4460 and 2x4gb crucial value ram
650w superflower leadex psu and rtx 2060 gpu

I checked bios right after i had to restart a couple of times and each time CPU and mb temps are well below 60 deg.

One thing i do notice is often after a freeze or auto restart, power to my usb ports (kb and mouse) seem to be lagging. My kb and mouse only power up after the windows loading screen is shown, so basically i am unable to go into bios right after restart.

Maybe try using software like MSI Afterburner to monitor the temperature while you game. Because temperatures would surely have dropped when you restart your PC. I mean usually if you alt tab out of games, the temperature will drop really fast, if the processor or graphics card is not utilised.

Pocoyoz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can use benchmark software to test?
Furmark, heaven unigine....

Event viewer any critical error ?
Sent from Amazon using GAGT

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.