Free upgrade to Win 10 from 7/8/8.1 still available

Mem2003

Reaction score
This method still works on year2020.
If you have Product key (Retail Box type) for Windows 7/8/8.1, you can Clean install on the NEW PC with Windows 10.
For first time Clean install, you can activate using the Product key after finished installation win10, Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account.
Subsequent re-install Win10 on the same PC, it will be AUTO activated.

FYI:
Windows 7 support will end on January 14, 2020.
Windows 7 can still be installed and activated after end of support.
Windows 8.1 support will end on January 10, 2023.

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
Just to clarify, I heard many facing issues for those who upgraded from Windows 7/8 to Windows 10 as compared to those who bought their devices with Windows 10 already installed ?

donetus

Reaction score
i would suggest doing a clean install instead .. or upgrade the current OS and once it's activated, do a clean install .. clean isntall will roughly take less than 30minutes. :)

Just to clarify, I heard many facing issues for those who upgraded from Windows 7/8 to Windows 10 as compared to those who bought their devices with Windows 10 already installed ?

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
i would suggest doing a clean install instead .. or upgrade the current OS and once it's activated, do a clean install .. clean isntall will roughly take less than 30minutes. :)

thanks a lot !

lanzhu60

Reaction score
thanks a lot !

Hi all , previously I tried using the ms media tool to upgrade win 7 to win 10 and encounter an error "the installation failed in the safe os phase with an error during boot operation " and happened few times.

Can I knw how should I proceed ?
-reinstall win7 , upgrade to win10 , reinstall win10
Or
-upgrade using win10 iso file and reinstall win10 ?

origamii

Reaction score
after upgraded to window 10 which gives u a new product key for window 10.
If i reinstall window 10 on a new pc can i still use back the upgraded window 10 product key?

uncle_josh

Reaction score
Recently my 12 year old Intel Core 2 Quad pc up lorry
So get the Ryzen CPU and mobo from Amazon SG and perform Windows 10 installation.
Windows 10 auto get activated.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.