Advice needed for first COE car

MitsuLancer

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm 30 this year and I should be getting my driver license in a few months time.
Because of my expanding family and the need to ferry them around, plus I do not want to throw in too much money into a car, I'm considering to get a COE car, probably a 5 years renewed.
I'm looking at 2009 Mitsu Lancer EX 1.5a OR Toyota Rush 1.5a.
Would any kind souls work out a detailed estimated monthly damage just to enjoy this luxury? (less away the monthly instalment)

Some factors to note:
-Parking in hdb, non sheltered.
-Office free parking.
-Probably drives 4 times per week.
-age 30, new drivers license.

Appreciate any kind advice! :):)

jayz89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Family car dont get lancer la pls leh.

Go for a more reliable coe car for family.

Conan1986

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
-HDB parking $110 (sheltered)
-road tax $756 and increase 10% every year
-petrol probably 1 time per week est. $70
-Insurance crazy expensive cause new driver, comprehensive should be in the range of $3k and up, 3rd party maybe 1.7k and up.
-Maintenance around $130 for routine oil change, but other repairs and parts may cost more depending on your car condition, suggest budget $800/year in case of repair needed.
-Tyres around $400 to $600 per 50000km.

If you're just driving A to B 4 times per week, likely won't hit 10k mileage every 6 months, maybe 8 or 9 months den will hit 10k for servicing.

For first car, getting COE car to gain experience is always a good idea, but getting a good one is also important to save yourself from the hassle of time wastage for repair so ask for more experienced friends to go viewing etc before putting the money down. Don't fall into the trap of car dealers of placing deposit then find out a lot of problem with the car. Also, just close your eyes on the dings and scratches you accumulate since it's a learning car for you. Drive safe most important.

Last edited:

MitsuLancer

Reaction score
Thank you for the write up. I'm looking at the below details, average monthly, appreciate if you could correct me if i'm way off:
250 insurance (considering comprehensive $3k)
210 petrol
60 road tax
80 season parking (unsheltered)
100 cashcard (erp and misc parking)
100 setting aside for maintenance

LouisSaha

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
If only rush n lancer ex. I will opt for lancer ex. Preferred sedan car.
Low maintainance for lancer ex. Drove this car last time for about 2 years.

Quite a solid car. Body is quite heavy, about 1300kg.
My petrol about 90 plus full tank. After discount maybe 80 plus.
1 month pump about 3-4 times. Rounded up to 250$.
Quite good n stable to drive. Decent pickup but not too bad for a bread and butter car.

Iandao

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Must also take into consideration the build of your family members.. :o

Aaron_soh80

Banned
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm 30 this year and I should be getting my driver license in a few months time.
Because of my expanding family and the need to ferry them around, plus I do not want to throw in too much money into a car, I'm considering to get a COE car, probably a 5 years renewed.
Would any kind souls work out a detailed estimated monthly damage just to enjoy this luxury? (less away the monthly instalment)

Some factors to note:
-Office free parking.

U dun consider any repair cost?coe car sure need to change some spare part..

MitsuLancer

Reaction score
that's information very useful. thank you. I heard the lancer EX has a lag in pickup, partly due to the weight, but on the other hand, it's means better in handling. May I ask how for $250 petrol, how many KM are you covering?

PsyClick

Reaction score
I test drived Coe lancer. Decent power and comfort. Enough for small family. I am considering too :)

Sent from HUAWEI HMA-L29 using GAGT

LouisSaha

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
that's information very useful. thank you. I heard the lancer EX has a lag in pickup, partly due to the weight, but on the other hand, it's means better in handling. May I ask how for $250 petrol, how many KM are you covering?

Not really lag in pickup. Is actually decent.
My 43 litres full tank for lancer ex 1.5 can drive up to 650-680km.

PsyClick

Reaction score
I done my calculation
If your family can fit into normal rides like Honda jazz or maybe a Hyundai avante, brand new will be the most cost effective as you mostly not concern about maintenance. But yes if scratches and dings your heart pain pain

Sent from HUAWEI HMA-L29 using GAGT

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about setting aside $100 every month for maintenance...
Do bear in mind 5 year Coe car cannot be renewed further. Once Coe up, it's scrap.

As for expenditure per month quite easy.

Season Parking - 110-500 * 12 = $1440-6000depending if you park in town, I used to pay $350 for town parking.
Road tax - 642 * 110%= 706.2, 770.2, 834.6, 898.8, 963. Increase 10% every year up to 50%
Vehicle inspection yearly - $70+
Tyres $300 assuming 20K mileage a year
ERP $360 for casual weekend drives
Servicing twice a year $400
Petrol $300*12 = $3600

In short, you calculate monthly just divide all the sums above divide by 12, exclude your misc repairs and stuff not listed here.

Year 1 953.02/mth
Year 2 958.35/mth
Year 3 963.70/mth
Year 4 969.05/mth
Year 5 974.40/mth

Add on your installment for the car you're looking at - assuming full loan - $800/mth.

Year 1 1,753.02/mth
Year 2 1,758.35/mth
Year 3 1,763.70/mth
Year 4 1,769.05/mth
Year 5 1,774.40/mth

bh10101

Reaction score
think everyone heart will also pain pain :s12::s12:

I done my calculation
If your family can fit into normal rides like Honda jazz or maybe a Hyundai avante, brand new will be the most cost effective as you mostly not concern about maintenance. But yes if scratches and dings your heart pain pain

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I hate the Ex, really no power, handling is so so.

Be realistic, you're buying a family BnB car, for the older Ex, you're looking at 11-12km/Litre.

Most older cars auto should get you anywhere between 11-12.

xeneryx

Reaction score
I’m in the same situation as you.

Currently comparing between coe lancer or coe fit.

I’m still in a dilemma!
Worrying about the expenses and all.

kingsen

Reaction score
I bought mine from direct owner. He has past servicing record receipt at reputable shop. Hope u guys managed to find one such seller.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using GAGT

andyhtc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Some factors to note:
-Office free parking.

Mitsubishi Lancer is a lot cheaper. I recommend you go for around 10 year COE as COE is likely to start go up quite a lot this year (already started in last round of COE bidding).

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.