Transfer files between 2 PCs within same network

shiroyuki03

Reaction score
Hi all,

i am wondering how to transfer files between 2 PCs under the same network, using Asus RT88U. When i used Starhub default router, Linksys iirc, i am able to transfer files. what settings should i look at for my RT88U?

usually if print and file sharing service is enabled, automatically i should be able to transfer files between both PCs.

my settings: private network, both
enabled print and file sharing services

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

megaweb

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What OS are your PC running? If using MS Windows OS, just enable NetBIOS protocol and use file sharing in Window Explorer.

giraffey

Reaction score
Hi all,

i am wondering how to transfer files between 2 PCs under the same network, using Asus RT88U. When i used Starhub default router, Linksys iirc, i am able to transfer files. what settings should i look at for my RT88U?

usually if print and file sharing service is enabled, automatically i should be able to transfer files between both PCs.

What error are you getting when trying to establish a connection or sending a file to the other?

Most likely reason is would be when you change a router, the ip addresses of each of the machines could change if you didnt fixed the IPs of the PCs. First, try step, If you are using any saved shortcuts to connect to each PC, delete them and recreate them again. Second, if it still fails, check if both PCs are visible to each other. Ping test, etc. If still fails, disable security softwares such as firewalls, antivirus on both PC and router (some routers have security features that block certain traffic by default)

cstanhwz

Master Member
Reaction score
Plug a storage drive into the RT-AC88U USB port to use as network storage.

Transfer from 1st PC to this network storage.

From the 2nd PC, access this network storage to copy the files.

As a matter of fact, all PCs can access this network storage.

shiroyuki03

Reaction score
the error message i encounter is just unable to connect to the pc under Network window.both router has same ip address range.

there isnt any saved connections. what i did was connect 2 PC to network 1 (RT88U), can see but cant communicate. change to network 2 (Linksys), can see and can communicate with each other. no settings changed during this period. anti virus running, firewall is up for both connections but how come im able to communicate via network 2 and not network 1? although both is different router. one RT88U and the other Linksys.

strange isnt it?

shiroyuki03

Reaction score
thats right, if any PC in this network and provided its private, i should be able to see the PCs. however, i am able to see but am unable to communicate with each other. transferring files to that external drive on router, not such a feasible idea.. would prefer to transfer directly over the wifi as they are much faster. also i want to test how fast is my internal local connection..

cstanhwz

Master Member
Reaction score
If you are using wifi, do you have AP isolation enabled in the wifi options of the Asus?

Godeau

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
however, i am able to see but am unable to communicate with each other.

Your pc firewall is probably blocking access.. you need to create a whitelist for that local ip address and vice versa for both computers

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Can you see both PCs under network devices ?
If you can't see both, check your settings.

shiroyuki03

Reaction score
Can you see both PCs under network devices ?
If you can't see both, check your settings.

yes i can see. however when i try to access it, it says Windows cannot access ______. Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise......

shiroyuki03

Reaction score
Your pc firewall is probably blocking access.. you need to create a whitelist for that local ip address and vice versa for both computers

But how does it explain that when i used linksys router to communicate, it works. when switch over to RT88U, i am not able to. no settings were changed during the switch.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes i can see. however when i try to access it, it says Windows cannot access ______. Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise......

I assume you are referring to the name of the PC right ?
Maybe can try changing the PC name, reboot and see if it helps ?

Godeau

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But how does it explain that when i used linksys router to communicate, it works. when switch over to RT88U, i am not able to. no settings were changed during the switch.

Perhaps on your linksys's dhcp ip configurations it was already whitelisted in your pc(s)? Can see but cannot access means that there is something blocking you from accessing it, be it on your endpoint(the computers), or your router itself

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The easiest way is to enable network sharing, set shared folders and you will be able to copy files.

For your firewall, it is better to declare your home network as private secured network so that you don't have firewall blocking the IPs.

Check your firewall network settings, may be you have difference setting for your 2 routers.

If still cannot work, it is very hard for the rest to help you to troubleshoot further.

======

The next easiest way is to transfer via FTP.

Install FTP server on your PCs, if you are sitting infront PC1, on your file explorer, type

ftp://ip_address_of_PC2:port_no

you will be able to see PC2, and you can drag and drop file to and from PC1/PC2.

Using FTP will bypass many network/firewall configuration problems.

shiroyuki03

Reaction score
The easiest way is to enable network sharing, set shared folders and you will be able to copy files.

For your firewall, it is better to declare your home network as private secured network so that you don't have firewall blocking the IPs.

Check your firewall network settings, may be you have difference setting for your 2 routers.

If still cannot work, it is very hard for the rest to help you to troubleshoot further.

======

The next easiest way is to transfer via FTP.

Install FTP server on your PCs, if you are sitting infront PC1, on your file explorer, type

ftp://ip_address_of_PC2:port_no

you will be able to see PC2, and you can drag and drop file to and from PC1/PC2.

Using FTP will bypass many network/firewall configuration problems.

hmm you got a valid point there.. i need to go back and declare it.. thanks for the tips!

uncle_josh

Reaction score
Try this : File sharing over a network in Windows 10

Hi all,

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.