Opinions on west facing...

autumnleaf

Reaction score
Don’t be pressured by the agent. Also must think down the road when you try to sell. Direct West facing units may not be easy to find buyers
And many will avoid it due to our climate.

Hmm.... agent say someone offered... must make a decision soon.

The unit is an old unit high floor with a big balcony, almost exactly west facing with no other blocks to block the sun.

I was theorizing, if the balcony faces the west, won't be it redundant? Will the floor be too hot to step on anyways?

Mainly the living room and dining room area will face the west (and the side of 1 common room)

Hot living room vs hot rooms... any difference?

dnsfpl

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
most impt the wall got kana west sun or not

view around 5-6pm to feel the heat

but this period not good time lar

best during may to july, if bearable then can consider lor

crystal535

Reaction score
I've also have a query on the same issue. If my windows facing NW, and master bedroom wall gets the West sun. Will that be alright? Or it will get to warm during night still?

Reaction score
West facing is a lethal mistake of the architect guy
A qualified architect should angle every unit so that none will have west facing unit/window/wall
Or a barely pass mark for him if he made the smallest unit west facing so that the price will forever be lowest

Reaction score
Can sun your pillows, clothing and herbs.
You get an awesome view of the sunset, if on high floor.
Solar films helps a lot in cutting down the heat.

Nothing can save the fengshui of a unit facing the west. Never heard from any fengshui master promoting west facing cos it’s simply unnatural.

I won’t even pay half a south facing unit’s price to buy a west facing unit

kimurayuki

Reaction score
I think BTO flat windows facing west means all their rooms(living, common and master) are also facing afternoon sun too.
But I guess for older flat, if it’s facing west, the corridor in front can at least buffer the heat from the west sun, correct me if I’m wrong?

West facing is a lethal mistake of the architect guy
A qualified architect should angle every unit so that none will have west facing unit/window/wall
Or a barely pass mark for him if he made the smallest unit west facing so that the price will forever be lowest

bolster

Master Member
Reaction score
Facing west.

1. Very very Difficult to sell.
2. No wind. Unless you switch on aircon Everyday.
3. Very hot.Takes very Long to cool down.
4. Try study in the bedroom facing the west sun. You regret.

Last edited:

sgpropertyblog

Reaction score
Hmm.... agent say someone offered... must make a decision soon.

The unit is an old unit high floor with a big balcony, almost exactly west facing with no other blocks to block the sun.

I was theorizing, if the balcony faces the west, won't be it redundant? Will the floor be too hot to step on anyways?

Mainly the living room and dining room area will face the west (and the side of 1 common room)

Hot living room vs hot rooms... any difference?

which project are you looking at? there is no other units available for sale there? just a friendly reminder, there is no such thing as a perfect house .. there bound to be something that is less attractive about the unit, just need to weigh if the pros can outdo the cons ?

balcony face west, then you wont be able to enjoy the balcony during the afternoon.. probably can dry your laundry there ? but then again, i'm pretty sure you can install ziptrack/balcony screen to block to sun?pls dun quote me as certain project don't allow ya..

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My previous house is facing west. Evening time is the worse, even the wall is hot.
Aircons full power also need sometime to cool down. But that cost lots of $$!

Not to forget other items in the house facing long term high temperature environment.

Unless you work 3rd shift all the time. Facing west is no no with Singapore type of weather.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Facing west.

1. Very very Difficult to sell.
2. No wind. Unless you switch on aircon Everyday.
3. Very hot.Takes very Long to cool down.
4. Try study in the bedroom facing the west sun. You regret.

My experience is worse if bed room facing west.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nothing can save the fengshui of a unit facing the west. Never heard from any fengshui master promoting west facing cos it’s simply unnatural.

I won’t even pay half a south facing unit’s price to buy a west facing unit

Talking about fengshui. There is always a solution as long as you are willing to pay!

Hot_Dog

Master Member
Reaction score
My main door is facing 293 degree. The afternoon sun shines onto my corridor around 3pm and then shine 1/2 of my exterior wall and windows of my living room and common bedroom between 4pm and 6:30pm. I usually pull down the blind before going to work.
Not so bad with having that blackout blind and all my windows with UV filter films, the moment I come home, I just open the top windows and ceiling fan able to cool down the room.
Good thing having slight West-facing unit is the living room is brighter. UV rays help to kill germs and thus prevent molds

Wa you can grow some plants at the corridor too:s12:

Reaction score
Talking about fengshui. There is always a solution as long as you are willing to pay!

Fengshui has big has small one
Facing west is a BIG fengshui drawback
Whatever small crystals you put inside your house are just small fengshui items to salvage the lethal mistake. Effect is minimal.

iphone1s

Reaction score
Fengshui has big has small one
Facing west is a BIG fengshui drawback
Whatever small crystals you put inside your house are just small fengshui items to salvage the lethal mistake. Effect is minimal.

If HDB want you to face west, or face the suay direction, what can you do, right? :s13:

jnashville

Banned
Reaction score
i also initially wanted to buy a facing west hdb unit as it faces the park connector.. wife objected it even though have nice unblocked view. After seeing the comments here, heng didnt buy.

bought a north south facing with unblock view. currently living in it and enjoying the strong breeze blowing in from the north as my living room and all bedrooms facing north. every room is cooling due to the breeze. no hot sun in the morning or evening. loving it.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i also initially wanted to buy a facing west hdb unit as it faces the park connector.. wife objected it even though have nice unblocked view. After seeing the comments here, heng didnt buy.

bought a north south facing with unblock view. currently living in it and enjoying the strong breeze blowing in from the north as my living room and all bedrooms facing north. every room is cooling due to the breeze. no hot sun in the morning or evening. loving it.
Bro, NS facing will also get west sun, just not as bad as facing west directly.

NiShiZhu

Banned
Reaction score
My first house was a west facing 4 bedder. It took me less than 2 months to find buyer as the unit has breath-taking view. But I must admit in the afternoon at around 3-4pm, I need to draw the curtain to block the heat.

But if u ask me to choose between 1) facing very close to your neighbour or 2) facing west sun but comes with nice view, I will still go for the latter.

petetherock

Reaction score

I have a true NS facing home and compared to my old home it’s a huge difference
My monthly electric bills also attest to this
I also don’t need to draw my curtains all the time

jnashville

Banned
Reaction score

Hmm i dont. maybe my unit abit north east but more to the north, i am at the extreme corner right of the block so never kena the sun. maybe my neighbour to my left will get it but his unit will block the west sun for me hehe

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.