Reliability of A class vs 1 series

Hein

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am looking at getting an A class (A200) or a BMW 1 series (Maybe X1). Anybody having any major issue on one of these cars that I should be aware? I really want to get one of these 2 models(I like both) and thinking of which model will be more reliable...

sinistral

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
X1 is not 1 series though.

Just do coin flip loh, both are endless money pits :)

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am looking at getting an A class (A200) or a BMW 1 series (Maybe X1). Anybody having any major issue on one of these cars that I should be aware? I really want to get one of these 2 models(I like both) and thinking of which model will be more reliable...

1 series use 3 cylinders engine. I would not consider it.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

my opinion, don't flame me

A class
4 cylinder, mercs more common = slightly cheaper maint, more reliable in fact, 3 years warranty from AD, got carplay, android auto, sat nav and etc

1 series
3 cylinder, bmw is well known for very very expensive maint. 5 years warranty if from AD (iirc), only its HU for navigation, more unique = more special

you choice, really.

bboyirving

Reaction score
in terms of reliability, mercedes wins for sure. best to go down to test drive both cars and see which one u like more.

Hein

Reaction score
Thanks... .But I am now comparing the 2L 4 cylinder engine of the BMW vs the 1.3L of the Merc... Overall reliability actually, not just engine

eric16

Reaction score
For BMW, the 5 years warranty include oil leaks and engine mounting etc..

for wear and tear parts, can do at outside workshop. As long as original BMW parts are used, warranty will be intact. Save a lot of $$, eg: a pair of brake pads + labour cost $600 at PML, outside workshop cost $200. Aircon filter $135 at PML, $35 from Stockist (Eng soon) self change.

Servicing oil change have to be done at PML to keep warranty. Every now and then PML have promo for oil change service. Buy 3 oil change at price of 2. So 3 / 4 cylinder engine cost $650 for 3 oil change. After warranty, oil change at outside workshop is $180, almost same price as Jap cars.

You need to know where to go to service your BMW. So it's not true BMW cost a lot more more more to maintain, just need to do some homework and being savvy.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For BMW, the 5 years warranty include oil leaks and engine mounting etc..

for wear and tear parts, can do at outside workshop. As long as original BMW parts are used, warranty will be intact. Save a lot of $$, eg: a pair of brake pads + labour cost $600 at PML, outside workshop cost $200. Aircon filter $135 at PML, $35 from Stockist (Eng soon) self change.

Servicing oil change have to be done at PML to keep warranty. Every now and then PML have promo for oil change service. Buy 3 oil change at price of 2. So 3 / 4 cylinder engine cost $650 for 3 oil change. After warranty, oil change at outside workshop is $180, almost same price as Jap cars.

You need to know where to go to service your BMW. So it's not true BMW cost a lot more more more to maintain, just need to do some homework and being savvy.

If u put savvy to savvy, mercs is still cheaper.

The comparison must be equal. You cant use bmw savvy vs standard pricing for mercs to make your comparsion bro.

Needmysleep

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

you are comparing 2 slightly different classes of cars - one is a hatchback the latter an ' SUV ' ( the X1) .The X1 is not a 1 series.
Reliability is very owner dependent unless you get a lemon.
Drive 15 k kms without seeing the inside of a service centre for oil change and there goes your reliability.

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Both no auto tailgate, fail my criteria of being a conti. :s13:

Friend driving the new A200 since Nov, quite nice, but I don't like the round a/c vents, very ... uncle.

X1 I drove before, power packed, but that's about it. It's rather bare inside, no features, nothing fancy unless you're a cruise control fan.

I'll take the A200 in this case.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Both no auto tailgate, fail my criteria of being a conti. :s13:

Friend driving the new A200 since Nov, quite nice, but I don't like the round a/c vents, very ... uncle.

X1 I drove before, power packed, but that's about it. It's rather bare inside, no features, nothing fancy unless you're a cruise control fan.

I'll take the A200 in this case.

The round vents looks like plane turbine. Damn nice imo.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yea i feel it look good too. Are you going through PI or AD?

AD doesn't have rear vents, but provides better aftersales, hard for them to run.
PI have rear vents provides not as good aftersales but cheaper in terms of total cost, installment, loans insurance, etc. MIght run road

PI have full premium package, AD doesn't
AD can update MBUX system easily (still quite lousy in terms of update). PI cannot must pay a lot outside for 3rd party

both stand to benefit a certain groups of segments.

Last edited:

sylves

Reaction score
AD doesn't have rear vents, but provides better aftersales, hard for them to run.
PI have rear vents provides not as good aftersales but cheaper in terms of total cost, installment, loans insurance, etc. MIght run road

PI have full premium package, AD doesn't
AD can update MBUX system easily (still quite lousy in terms of update). PI cannot must pay a lot outside for 3rd party

both stand to benefit a certain groups of segments.

Thanks for the summary batniss, think i already made up my mind. Question is to choose which PI

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.