View Single Post
Old 18-01-2020, 03:21 PM   #1
simranuq

Post Is DigiPen Singapore good for BSc in Computer Science?

I want to get a B.Sc. in Computer Science. On 14th Jan 2020, I went to Singapore Institute of Technology's open day. There I learned about DigiPen Institute of Technology Singapore. The claims they made sounded very attractive. Especially, their claim on $4000 a month starting salary for their fresh graduates made me interested to dig a bit more about the institute. What I found after digging does not look very promising. I found the followings:

1) Most of their computer science instructors are not Ph.D. holders and do not have any prior teaching experience. Therefore, in terms of paper and apparent qualification, they are not even close to NUS, NTU, or SUTD instructors.

2) The institute is accredited by Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). ACCSC is mainly for professional training institutes and not for regular universities. Moreover, only new, small sized and low-profile schools in USA take this accreditation.

3) Seems like only a handful of companies are hiring DigiPen Singapore students. Moreover, 90% students are not working in a company relevant to their degree.

4) Seems like DigiPen Singapore degree is not appreciated by NUS, NTU, SMU and SUTD for post-graduation.

So, I am really confused now. I want to do Ph.D. in Computer Science in future. But also want a good starting salary after graduation. Can anyone suggest me whether DigiPen Singapore degree will be helpful to achieve my dream? Honest and constructive suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by simranuq; 18-01-2020 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: To increase readibility
simranuq is offline   Reply With Quote