The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

vsvs24

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any recommendation of spectacles shop in Pasir Ris ? Need to bring my father in wheelchair to make reading glasses so can't go far.

I went to shopping mall next to Pasir Ris MRT to check. They have 4 spectacle shops :
Owndays
Spectacle Hut
Capitol Optical
Eyes Palace

Don't know which one to go. He is budget conscious and don't really care about frames or lens type. Just want to be able to read small prints on newspaper.

Thanks.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I dk about eyes palace but I think out of the 4,
own days cheapest, also don’t need to use those high index that they recommend.
If you want it even cheaper you can request for uncoated lenses which is a lot cheaper but still does it’s function.(not all shops does this though so ask them first).

Any recommendation of spectacles shop in Pasir Ris ? Need to bring my father in wheelchair to make reading glasses so can't go far.

I went to shopping mall next to Pasir Ris MRT to check. They have 4 spectacle shops :
Owndays
Spectacle Hut
Capitol Optical
Eyes Palace

Don't know which one to go. He is budget conscious and don't really care about frames or lens type. Just want to be able to read small prints on newspaper.

Thanks.

vsvs24

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you want it even cheaper you can request for uncoated lenses which is a lot cheaper but still does it’s function.(not all shops does this though so ask them first).

Grateful for your advice. Thanks !

vsvs24

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Made the spectacles at Owndays for $98. Very efficient. Just have to wait 20 minutes to collect. Thanks again. :s13:

joesph

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Owndays
Spectacle Hut
Capitol Optical
Eyes Palace

Thanks.
buy daiso two pairs if eyes different. go mall make!? x. hdb...

Sent from Samsung SM-G975F using GAGT

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Those frame has a lower durability rate, when removal of lenses and fitting newly cut lenses, there is a higher chance of breaking.
If it doesn’t break then phew, but if it does, the lens will go to waste and who will bear the responsibility..?
Some pros and cons to it. Though I do accept frames like this but the quality really gg when I edge lenses into them.

buy daiso two pairs if eyes different. go mall make!? x. hdb...

Sent from Samsung SM-G975F using GAGT

sarduakar2000

Reaction score
Hi guys, does anyone has any recommendation to make progressive lens? Is there a significant difference between branded lens vs those lens from ownsday for example. The price difference is quite big. Can someone kindly advise?

Reaction score
Hi guys, does anyone has any recommendation to make progressive lens? Is there a significant difference between branded lens vs those lens from ownsday for example. The price difference is quite big. Can someone kindly advise?

Ownday lenses are definitely not as comfortable as branded ones.

But, it should also not cost so much for lenses of the same quality of branded ones. Look out for local brands that make similar quality progressive lenses, but at a lower price point.

Best to find a shop that recommend lenses to you based on your needs.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hey, what’s your budget range and any rough idea what is your prescription now?

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score
Using Hoya lenses. Hate it a lot. It gets smudges very easily. Worst part is that it is hard to make it 100% clean all the time even with detergent washing. Will avoid their lenses in future and try the Zeiss instead.

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score
I wearing Crizal lens now. Lots of scratches.

Any advice how to better take care of my lens? I usually use my t-shirt and towel to wipe them.

I was reading what's the differences between different indexes of lens and one of the advantages of high index is scratch resistance.

Does higher index means I can clean my lens using my t-shirt or towel?

Many do not know the proper ways of cleaning lenses and the shop staff will not tell u also since the longer u use the lenses the poorer their business.

One should
1) flush ur lenses with running water (this is to remove any dust etc. on the lenses before you do any cleaning as it will scratch the lenses)
2) use mild or diluted detergent to clean the lenses with ur fingers.
3) flush it clean with running water.
4) flush it with slow running water to get rid of the water residue on the lenses.
5) if necessary, dry the lenses with tissue paper by soft touching the lenses (not wipe)

If u do these all time with ur lenses, u can hardly find scratches on ur lenses even years of usage.

KeytoFreedom

Master Member
Reaction score
Is there big difference between the anti blue light coating / transition for a branded lenses and a cheap pair, ie is the higher price worth paying for?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
You forget to mention washing your spec cloth at least once a week with soap and not to ever use your clothing to wipe your lenses.

Many do not know the proper ways of cleaning lenses and the shop staff will not tell u also since the longer u use the lenses the poorer their business.

One should
1) flush ur lenses with running water (this is to remove any dust etc. on the lenses before you do any cleaning as it will scratch the lenses)
2) use mild or diluted detergent to clean the lenses with ur fingers.
3) flush it clean with running water.
4) flush it with slow running water to get rid of the water residue on the lenses.
5) if necessary, dry the lenses with tissue paper by soft touching the lenses (not wipe)

If u do these all time with ur lenses, u can hardly find scratches on ur lenses even years of usage.

Darkshadows

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know about smartbuyglasses? I chanced upon this website while looking to get my short-distance glasses done online. I'm looking for designer frames only.

At the moment I find their price the cheapest (with lens and delivery) for designer frames. Can anyone share your experience with them and do you recommend smartbuyglasses? Thanks!

Last edited:

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know about smartbuyglasses? I chanced upon this website while looking to get my short-distance glasses done online. I'm looking for designer frames only.

At the moment I find their price the cheapest (with lens and delivery) for designer frames. Can anyone share your experience with them and do you recommend smartbuyglasses? Thanks!

i bought close to 20 pairs from them... legit ... but if yr san guan above 250 cannot import to singapore. take note... I usually ask to ship to my friend in JB and i collect from them.:D

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Less than 1k with such prescription can already get a good tier lenses. 500 degree with a 1.6 lens and a frame that cost 200-300 is doable.

I am hoping it is less 1k.i dun have my exact prescription. But it is something like this my short sighted degree is around 500. Astigmatism is around 100.

dominicwor2

Master Member
Reaction score
Extra news

For parents here who are worried for their child myopia, a new form of myopia control lenses is open in the market for *certain* places. It’s called miyosmart/DIMS. You can Google it or ask over any questions over here(will try to answer)
White paper of the lenses is all online, results
Similar ortho-K lenses, non Invasive and it’s just a spectacle lenses.
Released by hoya a few months back. Results of test can be found on the articles too. If you need any further links then I will post here if you require.
Take note, it is a treatment lens and thus transitions/blue filter are not able to be added onto it. Material is 1.59 polycarbonate thus tougher and not easily chipped.(not scratch proof)

realised that it's not so easy to find which shops in Singapore offers Miyosmart and roughly what's the cost we're looking at.. Interested to further find out more for my 7 year old son, whom recently was diagnosed with 6/48 eyesight (not sure if it's very bad or just normal bad)..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.