Tcl tv can buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

petetherock

Reaction score
Price is a big consideration, every $100 saved is another $100 I can spend somewhere :)

But yes I agree that the 4K prices has dropped so much that almost every brand has a affordable model. One of my concern about using 1080p content on 4K is upscaling. I do not own any 4K tv and I've not tested anything myself but read that upscaling can make the picture looks very bad, especially close-up (2-3m) away. There are reviews that says the picture quality are better on native 1080p panels than upscaled 4K panels.

Will be helpful if you can share your experience.

At such a large distance, to appreciate 4k content, you will need a 75" TV and larger.
I don't think the upscaling chip in the TCL will be really put to the test. Instead the screen quality will be the deciding factor.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Price is a big consideration, every $100 saved is another $100 I can spend somewhere :)

But yes I agree that the 4K prices has dropped so much that almost every brand has a affordable model. One of my concern about using 1080p content on 4K is upscaling. I do not own any 4K tv and I've not tested anything myself but read that upscaling can make the picture looks very bad, especially close-up (2-3m) away. There are reviews that says the picture quality are better on native 1080p panels than upscaled 4K panels.

Will be helpful if you can share your experience.

I myself use cheap 1080p 40inch dumb TVs.

But then I've compared 65 inch 4K TCL TV (2018 model, which I recommended to my relative to buy in Dec 2018 during my short trip to China, after comparing a few models in the shop) vs 47 inch 1080p LG 47GB651 TV (bought in 2016) at my China relative's places during my short trip in December 2019. With both consuming 1080p contents, I do not see any issues with the 4K TCL TV, at similar distance of about 2m away. Both are equally good, at least to my eyes.

I forgot the model of the TCL though. Edit: it is 2018 65T6 China model, roughly S$900 at that time. Now as low as S$700 in China.

Last edited:

freezerz

Reaction score
At such a large distance, to appreciate 4k content, you will need a 75" TV and larger.
I don't think the upscaling chip in the TCL will be really put to the test. Instead the screen quality will be the deciding factor.

Bro, not sure if you're being sarcastic :s13:, but is 2-3m very large distance? My room quite big, and my sofa is almost 5m from the TV. In any case, I'm not considering 75"due to price diff. Cheers!

I myself use cheap 1080p 40inch dumb TVs.

But then I've compared 65 inch 4K TCL TV (2018 model, which I recommended to my relative after comparing a few models in the shop) vs 47 inch 1080p LG 47GB651 TV (bought in 2016) at my China relative's places during my short trip in December 2019. With both consuming 1080p contents, I do not see any issues with the 4K TCL TV, at similar distance of about 2m away. Both are equally good, at least to my eyes.

I forgot the model of the TCL though. Edit: it is 2018 65T6 China model, roughly S$900 at that time. Now as low as S$700 in China.

Thanks for the reply, guess I'll go down to the shops and do some testings when I'm ready to commit.

petetherock

Reaction score
Bro, not sure if you're being sarcastic :s13:, but is 2-3m very large distance? My room quite big, and my sofa is almost 5m from the TV. In any case, I'm not considering 75"due to price diff. Cheers!

Thanks for the reply, guess I'll go down to the shops and do some testings when I'm ready to commit.
Take a look at the viewing distance thread for an idea of what is the recommendation for 3m if you don’t believe me..

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

if you are not joking and it is 5m, then you need at least 120" in order to notice 4k.

in other words, if less than 120", you can't tell the difference between 4k and 1080p, if the viewing distance is 5m

Last edited:

cryn79

Reaction score
Hi all,

My friend has just bought a TCL tv and wants to do a wall mount.
Any can recommend a contractor to install the wall mount kit? thnks!

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if you are not joking and it is 5m, then you need at least 120" in order to notice 4k.

in other words, if less than 120", you can't tell the difference between 4k and 1080p, if the viewing distance is 5m

Sometime is not just the resolution count. 4K TV also means better image processor etc.
Distance is just a reference. Especially in OLED case.

grapewall

Reaction score
Went to Sembawang SC to check out the TCL TVs today...

** So difficult to insert photos.. give up...

Last edited:

ah_cleo

Master Member
Reaction score
1WNGOrw.jpg

I bought this antenna. All local channels at 100% reception. Also received Malaysia channels.
My antenna is stick to the window

Did u jus plug to back of the tv or u got a setup box for it?

ah_cleo

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My friend has just bought a TCL tv and wants to do a wall mount.
Any can recommend a contractor to install the wall mount kit? thnks!

Go carousell. Many of them but can diy also.

I diy myself.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Did the TCL 8 series arrive in SG yet?

8 Series are for US market. Same for the older 6 Series and 5 Series.

X10 QLED and Mini LED are probably the corresponding model for the 8 Series LED for Europe and Japan market.

China got the X9 QLED 8k model now.

As for Singapore, only low end models are available, highest is probably the 65C5US.

X Series > C Series > P Series

They also have Q series (high end) and D series (low end) in China.

X Series > Q Series > C Series > P Series > D series

Last edited:

Vulpix

Reaction score
8 Series are for US market. Same for the older 6 Series and 5 Series.

X10 QLED and Mini LED are probably the corresponding model for the 8 Series LED for Europe and Japan market.

China got the X9 QLED 8k model now.

As for Singapore, only low end models are available, highest is probably the 65C5US.

X Series > C Series > P Series

They also have Q series (high end) and D series (low end) in China.

X Series > Q Series > C Series > P Series > D series
That sucks. I want to try out their higher end models...

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That sucks. I want to try out their higher end models...

Yes that is not good. For cheaper models (say sub S$1000) it is probably okay to take risks and buy online from US or China, without local warranty. For example, there are people in this forum buying China models of Sony TV from Taobao.

But then it is too risky to buy an item over S$3000 without local warranty.

fata1-7

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
PSA. The AIWA TV sucks. Android 7. No play store. Netflix like machiam not even HD. Please don't get it. Buy liao instant regret. Catch and let go. Should have listened to xiaofan.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
PSA. The AIWA TV sucks. Android 7. No play store. Netflix like machiam not even HD. Please don't get it. Buy liao instant regret. Catch and let go. Should have listened to xiaofan.

Sorry to hear that. Since you have already got it, more importantly is to use it more effectively. Just buy a Mi Box S to complement the TV, it has official Android TV OS, Netflix HD/4K, Youtube 4K, Chromecast function built in.

https://shopee.sg/product/178877065/5201808158?smtt=0.0.9

S$79.9 offer price from official Xiaomi Global Store, one year local waranty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.