2020 market expectations and positioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

DukeCS33

Reaction score
To be honest and don't take it personally but a lot of you guys are quite reactionary with your investment decisions. You all need to understand that time smooths everything out.

And for those not all in on equities, that is a huge mistake. Huge. Keeping cash to the tune of double digit percentages is ridiculous.

Different strokes for different folks. Maybe you are smart and found your holy grail in equities. Others may find it in crypto, some through property. And not all have the same financial objectives.

https://www.businessinsider.sg/four...ways-128-billion-cash-pile-2019-11/?r=US&IR=T

Maybe you are smarter and more savvy than Warren Buffet :D:D:D

coolhead

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To be honest and don't take it personally but a lot of you guys are quite reactionary with your investment decisions. You all need to understand that time smooths everything out.

And for those not all in on equities, that is a huge mistake. Huge. Keeping cash to the tune of double digit percentages is ridiculous.

i admit i am reactionary to market conditions.

will you be able to advise if we should convert all cash to equity?

Posted from PCWX using Redmi K20 Pro

peacefulday

Reaction score
Investment strategy need adjust via age changes and I intended to put lesser weight onto stock from now, especially in SGX.

Some USD$ had been saturated in my brokerage account for many years and I have no intention to converted SGD as of now, I will continue look out for passive and capital gain opportunity. Achieved yields are moderately impressive which let me to stick on it.

I spread out the USD$ for stock only, SGD$ investment into property rental (>2.5% yield), SSB (>3% yield), CPF (>4% yield) and I am getting slightly conservative and my plan is to balance out the risk.

Kapish

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it's all dumb money in the market now. smart ones on the sidelines
tech and biotech will come down harder and faster during a correction so i rather be on the safe side

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why the sudden plunge? I just picked up 2 MSCI Singapore future contracts for 374.

Funny thing, even on the day of Soleimani killing, SG market fell less than what it has fallen today with no news.

Last edited:

NewInvestor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why the sudden plunge? I just picked up 2 MSCI Singapore future contracts for 374.

Funny thing, even on the day of Soleimani killing, SG market fell less than what it has fallen today with no news.

People say that it is the fear of the "new SARS". If u were in Spore in 2003, u will understand....

gamerx

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wuhan pneumonia, and moody downgraded HK's credit rating.

DukeCS33

Reaction score

It would be peak travel season for the Chinese. They will travel within and outside China and therein lies the fear of the desease spreading. Not sure if this is impacting sp futures as well but guess everyone is just awaiting a reason to profit take.

bullshitregister

Reaction score

By this do you mean that now is the time to be 100% into equities, or do you mean that by default you are always 100% into equities regardless of it being a bull or bear market?

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
By this do you mean that now is the time to be 100% into equities, or do you mean that by default you are always 100% into equities regardless of it being a bull or bear market?

It depends on your investing style.

If you are a passive or index investor, stick to the monthly purchase. Don't stop or do anything funny.

If you are an active investor, 100% allocation to equity now is completely absurd.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

It will be quite scary. No one knows the impact. China previously said contain within Wuhan market, then Wuhan, then now kana Shanghai, Beijing and cases are present overseas. From what I understand, already 4 death in China. WHO previously claim no evidence of Human to Human transmission but now say Human and Human transmission possible. Seems like flipping prata as and when they like.

Last time they also say none infected medical workers but now 15 medical workers affected and 1 is in critical condition. Haha! Scary. As long as 1 case comes in, likely to have many cases

https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-china-51185836

NewInvestor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It will be quite scary. No one knows the impact. China previously said contain within Wuhan market, then Wuhan, then now kana Shanghai, Beijing and cases are present overseas. From what I understand, already 4 death in China. WHO previously claim no evidence of Human to Human transmission but now say Human and Human transmission possible. Seems like flipping prata as and when they like.

Last time they also say none infected medical workers but now 15 medical workers affected and 1 is in critical condition. Haha! Scary. As long as 1 case comes in, likely to have many cases

The question is whether this virus will mutate into something more contagious and deadly than it already is. The CNY travelling season is not going to help matters.

DukeCS33

Reaction score

Trust the Chinese to be transparent with numbers...

peacefulday

Reaction score
Hopefully by coming summer time, the wuhan virus will auto wipe out. Yes, it's scary during SARS, and now ...hhmmmm.....:o

coolhead

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

don't worry, fed repo liquidity will save the day

Posted from PCWX using Redmi K20 Pro

gamerx

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

The global economy survived MCD and SARS, I think we can survive this.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...entral-bank-driven-ponzi-scheme-must-collapse

If you guys are feeling terrible, missing out on all the juicy gains, just remember, this is behavioural, when you have the maximum urge to go and invest money into the market and feeling of FOMO, it is usually the wrong time. When you are really fearful and cautious to invest, it is usually a good time.

Right now, nobody wants to hedge, everyone wants to be as long as possible. I think people with patience will have better opportunity in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.