Xiaomi MIPAD 4

Mclairs83

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Suspect Xiaomi Quality issues (batch related, not systematic problem).

My Mi Max 1 also got battery swollen (about 2mm) problem after 2.5 years. Always using the original Xiaomi Charger and cable. That is the worst we get from a phone since I got my first phone in 1999. We got other smart phones from Apple, Oppo and Huawei and all are okay in terms of battery life span. Even the two old dead Samsung Galaxy S4 phones did not have swollen battery problem (but other problems, including lousy battery life).

Then my iPad 2 also got battery swollen problem but that is after 6.5 years of active use and half years of inactive use. Always use official Apple charger and original Apple Lightening Cable or Ugreen Lightening Cable. It swollen very badly (more than 50mm). Luckily it did not explode. Still that is very respectable product life.

I have thrown away the two devices. Supposedly I could change the battery for Mi Max 1 but I lose the confidence of the phone battery since quite a few users in the Mi Max Thread got the same problem after two years plus of usage. It was one of the early large screen phone with big battery and maybe the battery technology was not that good.

We got battery swollen problems with Nokia phones last time but again that is after quite a few years of active use.

That being said, in the P20 thread two users also reported battery swollen problem after around 1.5 years of usage for their P20 Pro, a premium phone.

yeap. true to that, quality also plays a part as well.

anyway for those who are using HavocOS, you might want to change to LineageOS as the developer have move on to develop LineageOS.

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I believe one's charging habit makes a slight difference too. I share my poor experience, bloated redmi note 2 and note 4. After some thinking and suspects, I conclude is my bad habit in the past where I will always keep that two phone's battery at least 90%. Else I will charge even when go lunch. After that I realize it's very bad habit to the battery. Now on poco I will let it go below 40% then charge

Sent from Xiaomi POCOPHONE F1 using GAGT

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
By right it should not matter when you charge the battery... there's a charging circuit that will adjust the voltage and current when charging the battery so that it doesn't swell and bloat... but if the battery quality is suspect then whatever you do, the bloating will still occur... I have never suffered from bloating before but I also suppose I don't use the phone as heavily since I don't game on it...

wizardundo

Reaction score
Hm.. My usage is around 2 to 3 times per week, each time around 2-4 hours. Normally I will just keep inside my bag.. As for the charger, I use the Anker charger and USB cable at home and default usb cable + UK charger (3 pin plug from other xiaomi phone) outside.

I only noticed the battery is bloating because the mipad cover wont close nicely..

Wanted to get a replacement 3+32 but it is OOS since Sept.. Hope they will release MiPad 5 soon.. :s13:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wanted to get a replacement 3+32 but it is OOS since Sept.. Hope they will release MiPad 5 soon.. :s13:

I got a China version of Huawei MediaPad M5 Lite 4GB/64GB 8inch Android 9 tablet at RMB1399 with free casing and screen protector (about S$280 or less) during my trip to China recently. Actually the price in 11.11 or 12.12 is even cheaper.

Kirin 710 processor is faster than what I expected. I use it main for China apps so I do not need Google stuff. Therefore I have no problems with the China ROM.

This could be a good alternative to Mi Pad. SD660 is probably slightly faster than Kirin 710 but not much.

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hm.. My usage is around 2 to 3 times per week, each time around 2-4 hours. Normally I will just keep inside my bag.. As for the charger, I use the Anker charger and USB cable at home and default usb cable + UK charger (3 pin plug from other xiaomi phone) outside.

I only noticed the battery is bloating because the mipad cover wont close nicely..

Might be a heat issue... if you kill the app properly and it's still running, the battery will heat up and it can cause the components in the battery to fail prematurely leading to the bloating... since it's in your bag, you probably won't feel the heat until you next take the phone out which may mean the phone has been heated up for a number of hours already...

ichinisan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Like no news of Mi Pad 5

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Like no news of Mi Pad 5

In the end it may come out.

Mi Pad 1: May 2014, Nvidia Tegra K1

Mi Pad 2: Nov 2015, Intel Atom CPU, a bit of downgrade from Mi Pad 1.

Mi Pad 3: April 2017, kind of downgrade from Mi Pad 2, MTK8176

Mi Pad 4: June 2018, SD660 (4+ Aug 2018)

Mi Pad 5: ???

But Xiaomi is not really a very serious player in Android Tablet markets, you will have better luck with Samsung and Huawei.

Ref: https://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-Samsung-Huawei-Amazon-Lenovo-tablet-shipments-Q2-2019_id117995

Apple, Samsung, Huawei, Amazon and Lenovo are the top 5 tablet vendors. Xiaomi is part of others.

Last edited:

hkchew03

Reaction score
In the end it may come out.

Mi Pad 1: May 2014, Nvidia Tegra K1

Mi Pad 2: Nov 2015, Intel Atom CPU, a bit of downgrade from Mi Pad 1.

Mi Pad 3: April 2017, kind of downgrade from Mi Pad 2, MTK8176

Mi Pad 4: June 2018, SD660 (4+ Aug 2018)

Mi Pad 5: ???

But Xiaomi is not really a very serious player in Android Tablet markets, you will have better luck with Samsung and Huawei.

Ref: https://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-Samsung-Huawei-Amazon-Lenovo-tablet-shipments-Q2-2019_id117995

Apple, Samsung, Huawei, Amazon and Lenovo are the top 5 tablet vendors. Xiaomi is part of others.

Have/had 1, 2, 4. Latest one much more superior than all the previous. Intel atom is just trash in an android. I would rate it as 4>3>1>2 in terms of performance.

qyc_91

Reaction score
Have/had 1, 2, 4. Latest one much more superior than all the previous. Intel atom is just trash in an android. I would rate it as 4>3>1>2 in terms of performance.

yeah I rmb 1st mipad is direct competitor for iPad Mini and it's like less than half the price of ipad mini.. but after that didn't really hear about mipad until mipad 4.. however due to the concern of stable update, I decided to go for iPad Mini 5 instead...

still excited to see if there'll be a Mipad 5 though, gonna be something useful for my parents

ichinisan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can be a few variations that result to this.

1) those china non-branded charger
2) USB cables are those cheap and thin one.. not certified usb type c cable.

till now, i have never had a single phone/tablet battery that is bloated.

as most of the time i use Anker/Ugreen/Baseus charger.

Can share where did you buy those chargers?

wizardundo

Reaction score
After much thought, decided to change the battery myself.

56OVcKn.jpg

Damage:
$35 for battery
$3 for tools

The most difficult part is to open the back casing, tried to open with fingernails.. end up losing bits of them and suffer small cuts to fingers (Not a very handy person lol)

It is running successfully with the screen panel going back to how it was. Now I can't brush off the thoughts that it may catch fire someday.. :s13:

Audiology93

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can share where did you buy those chargers?
Shopee/lazada

56OVcKn.jpg

Damage:
$35 for battery
$3 for tools

The most difficult part is to open the back casing, tried to open with fingernails.. end up losing bits of them and suffer small cuts to fingers (Not a very handy person lol)

It is running successfully with the screen panel going back to how it was. Now I can't brush off the thoughts that it may catch fire someday.. :s13:
Nice! Might change my battery soon.

Sent from Samsung SM-N950F using GAGT

wizardundo

Reaction score
Shopee/lazada

Nice! Might change my battery soon.

Sent from Samsung SM-N950F using GAGT

The tools you need are:

- 1 x BN60 battery (would be nice to find a Xiaomi battery, but I'm not sure where to get it so I just bought an OEM one)
- 1 x T3 Torx screw driver (for the casing bottom two screws)
- 1 or 2 Scraper (to break open the back of the case, the toughest part of the whole operation) (something thin and durable is better.. I used this https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20200122031127&SearchText=Stainless+Steel+Crowbar+Flat+Soft+Blade)
I broke my fingernails, had to specially order and wait for this tool just to break open the case lol
- 1 x mini philips screw driver.. (the size should be ph000 or ph00) to open two small screw inside covering the battery connector
- 1 x plastic scoop (something thin, non conductive will be better I think.) battery is 'glued' to the board, need to slowly 'cut' separate them. I used this https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...00122032325&origin=y&SearchText=Spatula+Scoop)

Hopefully the new OEM battery can last long, most importantly dont become a fire hazard.. :s13:

ekardo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

56OVcKn.jpg

Damage:
$35 for battery
$3 for tools

good job and thanks for sharing..

angtc11

Reaction score
Hi

May I know if anyone here tried to flash Havoc OS on your mipad 4plus?

I followed the instruction from the YT video but used 26th Aug Havoc OS from the sourceforge site and gapps from opengapps site. This resulted in the Havoc OS circles bootup animation for 20mins without progressing.

There were 2 main differences I can discern from the video (time: 1:08min)
1) I used a newer Mi unlock program from link below instead of from his zip file. The unlock message was different from what he showed in the video. The message I got said the unlock was successful and not required to do it again.

2) When my rom, gapp and su files were transferred to the tablet, his directory was empty but mine still contained the usual directories like Alarm etc.

Anyone can advise how to proceed? I repeated the process stated in the video thrice. Note: The video is super fast and I had to slow it down

Thanks in advance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W58-61Js6c

https://sourceforge.net/projects/havoc-os/files/clover/

https://opengapps.org/

https://en.miui.com/unlock/download_en.html

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.