2020 market expectations and positioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolhead

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...entral-bank-driven-ponzi-scheme-must-collapse

If you guys are feeling terrible, missing out on all the juicy gains, just remember, this is behavioural, when you have the maximum urge to go and invest money into the market and feeling of FOMO, it is usually the wrong time. When you are really fearful and cautious to invest, it is usually a good time.

Right now, nobody wants to hedge, everyone wants to be as long as possible. I think people with patience will have better opportunity in the future.

repo liquidity will help lift all boats. You came here for the truth, so let me unveil that for you.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
WTH! This market doesnt even want to stay down for more than 1 day. It is like there are unlimited number of people with unlimited amount of money, willing to buy at every dip. Doesnt matter, what is the reason for the dip, dip must be bought.

Ray Dalio said cash is trash! Stanley Druckenmiller says he is still riding the horse. Being bearish right now and staying into cash is a very lonely thing.

I wonder where all this cash goes, if everyone buys assets, someone needs to sell them. Companies too are buying their own stock, then who is selling?

Last edited:

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
STI flat for the last 1 year.
4WGJpzK.jpg

gamerx

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
WTH! This market doesnt even want to stay down for more than 1 day. It is like there are unlimited number of people with unlimited amount of money, willing to buy at every dip. Doesnt matter, what is the reason for the dip, dip must be bought.

Ray Dalio said cash is trash! Stanley Druckenmiller says he is still riding the horse. Being bearish right now and staying into cash is a very lonely thing.

I wonder where all this cash goes, if everyone buys assets, someone needs to sell them. Companies too are buying their own stock, then who is selling?

You know that interest rates have been unusually low for the last decade right? My guess is that the whales, i.e pension funds have nowhere left except the equity market to capture returns. These institutions require on average around 7% returns to meet their obligations. Investment grade bond yield is only about 3% now,the private equity bubble has more or less been deflated by Softbank.

Where else to allocate assets other than equities?

coolhead

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You know that interest rates have been unusually low for the last decade right? My guess is that the whales, i.e pension funds have nowhere left except the equity market to capture returns. These institutions require on average around 7% returns to meet their obligations. Investment grade bond yield is only about 3% now,the private equity bubble has more or less been deflated by Softbank.

Where else to allocate assets other than equities?

high yield bonds with 5% onwards are the way to go.

though high yield, dun worry, low interest rates mean that default rate is lower as well so it is all well balanced.

pension funds can't buy high yield bonds? oh don't worry, maybe lower risk of default can push these to investment grade. let's buy these high yield bond etf and cover it with insurance. I'm not sure what is the actual term for this called though.

hmm... in the midst of it, high yield defaults are increasing.

Posted from PCWX using Redmi K20 Pro

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I came across this Global Value ETF, GVAL

https://www.etf.com/GVAL#fit

Interesting part, it has 8% allocation to Singapore and 0% to US :)
It also has similar allocation of 8% to Brazil, Turkey, Russia, Greece, Spain and UK.
Singapore in this league, seems odd. Other countries, there is some reason for the low valuation.

Last edited:

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Learnt a new phrase, what is the opposite of FOMO ?
FOLL(Fear of large losses)

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Market is ejaculating like crazy. :s13:

Ironically, F&G index is at 79 only.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yeah, saw the unrealized P/L in my statement and went like wtf...

Regions and sectors performance do rotate.

For STI, I won't expect much returns. SG is a small economy and growth is going to be limited since FT policy is tightening. Long term total returns is likely in mid single digit.

For US, I am happy to realize profits gradually as the market continues to skyrocket.

tanjiakpeng

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
rates are so low >> bonds are not yielding enough + rates probably have no capacity to go lower (bonds will not gain in value)

the hunt for yield will go down the credit curve. many are pitching for those just below investment grade which carries risk

rotation from bonds to equities has not happened yet. 2019 was the year where there was so much fear that funds all piled into bonds. if the rotation materializes, there is still much to run for equities

cash is continuing to pile into equities because, as DBS CIO puts it, there is simply no alternative (TINA) to get higher returns but the stock market. REITs are hot because they yield higher returns than bonds and are relatively stable. earning season continues to surprise on the upside and growth, although slow, is still positive

my guess will be another stella year for equities even in a US election year

weng0202

Master Member
Reaction score
high yield bonds with 5% onwards are the way to go.

though high yield, dun worry, low interest rates mean that default rate is lower as well so it is all well balanced.

pension funds can't buy high yield bonds? oh don't worry, maybe lower risk of default can push these to investment grade. let's buy these high yield bond etf and cover it with insurance. I'm not sure what is the actual term for this called though.

hmm... in the midst of it, high yield defaults are increasing.

Posted from PCWX using Redmi K20 Pro

Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Repackage the high risk investments into something else and pass it on.

polyglob

Reaction score
I came across this Global Value ETF, GVAL

https://www.etf.com/GVAL#fit

Interesting part, it has 8% allocation to Singapore and 0% to US :)
It also has similar allocation of 8% to Brazil, Turkey, Russia, Greece, Spain and UK.
Singapore in this league, seems odd. Other countries, there is some reason for the low valuation.

If you peek behind the scenes at how they make up ETFs, you'll be looking at a sausage machine.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Regions and sectors performance do rotate.

For STI, I won't expect much returns. SG is a small economy and growth is going to be limited since FT policy is tightening. Long term total returns is likely in mid single digit.

For US, I am happy to realize profits gradually as the market continues to skyrocket.

STI can skyrocket, if the authorities start behaving like FED and Trump. If CPF interest is reduced from 4% to 2% and Temasek, GIC and MAS start doing large scale asset purchases of Singapore equities, it will rocket.

But it is good that they are not doing it. Valuations are low and it allows people to accumulate cheap, while property markets are kept out of speculation.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
STI can skyrocket, if the authorities start behaving like FED and Trump. If CPF interest is reduced from 4% to 2% and Temasek, GIC and MAS start doing large scale asset purchases of Singapore equities, it will rocket.

But it is good that they are not doing it. Valuations are low and it allows people to accumulate cheap, while property markets are kept out of speculation.

If GLC companies collapsing, then government will bail out.

So far, all the GLC are just doing OK OK. So no good reason to bail them out.

STI can only rely on the banks.

DukeCS33

Reaction score

Singapore does not have an interest rate policy. The MAS manages via the FX rate where they set the Nominal Effective Exhange Rate (NEER) by altering the angle of slope, mid rate and Band. Cpf rates are not meant to be policy rates. As such, our interest rate would mirror the US rates to a certain degree by virtue of the high content of Usd within the NEER.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Singapore does not have an interest rate policy. The MAS manages via the FX rate where they set the Nominal Effective Exhange Rate (NEER) by altering the angle of slope, mid rate and Band. Cpf rates are not meant to be policy rates. As such, our interest rate would mirror the US rates to a certain degree by virtue of the high content of Usd within the NEER.

True, but I believe CPF, a part of it, pays exceptionally high interest rate of 4%, so people will be content and won't take risk with equities. If the authorities want STI to shoot up, then they could promote STI to be major chunk of CPF just like 401k.

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
True, but I believe CPF, a part of it, pays exceptionally high interest rate of 4%, so people will be content and won't take risk with equities. If the authorities want STI to shoot up, then they could promote STI to be major chunk of CPF just like 401k.

As at December 2018, the SRS has over 156,000 account holders who have put in just over S$9 billion. Of this about 30 per cent was kept in cash; a combined 36 per cent in unit trusts and insurance; and 30 per cent in shares, Reits and ETFs.
https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/investing-wealth/staying-in-the-pink-of-financial-health

SRS accounts pay an exceptionally low interest rate, but 30% of SRS is pure cash, not even SSB? I guess thats the market share endowus is trying to gain by allowing SRS investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.