Encryption software

WongThyme

Reaction score
Hey guys. Do you use any kind of encryption software on your devices? Right now I have some anti virus software, but I feel like that might not be enough to protect my important files. I've been looking around the internet and found things like NordLocker, Cryptomator and VeraCrypt. Any of these names ring a bell? What would you recommend?

Hafi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I use Rohos for my desktops and network drives, not the best out there but pretty sufficient for my needs.

If you need filenames encryption for storage in the cloud can checkout Boxcryptor.

all not free btw...

uncle_josh

Reaction score
There is no necessity to install any encryption software at home imho.
Only business machine have such requirements.

1. When you encrypt your hdd, if you do not have any recovery cd/thumbdrive to recover your data, all your effort will go to the drain.

2. Encryption software slow down the machine. Some you can feel the slow down is quite significant.

3. Many ppl I see set simple password as easy as 123456. Which totally defeat the purpose.

Some laptops like those Lenovo laptops have hdd password lock setup in the bios.
I would prefer this method

Lastly I'm curious why your need to set encryption on your devices ?
Are your devices for personal or business ?

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Do you use any kind of encryption software on your devices? Right now I have some anti virus software, but I feel like that might not be enough to protect my important files. I've been looking around the internet and found things like NordLocker, Cryptomator and VeraCrypt. Any of these names ring a bell? What would you recommend?

Full disk encryption. Bitlocker on Windows, FileVault on Mac. :)
However take note, encryption is not a
replacement for backup. :)

fir_nev

Reaction score
Bitlocker is the standard drive encryption.

Personally, I just encrypt files using Axcrypt (.axx file extensions)

Cryophoenix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bitlocker for Windows. All govt issued laptops come with Bitlocker installed too. :s12:

WongThyme

Reaction score
Lastly I'm curious why your need to set encryption on your devices ?
Are your devices for personal or business ?

For personal use mostly, sometimes for work. Mainly I wanted to secure my laptop because I carry it around sometimes and I would like it to be secure in case I lose it or it gets stolen, don't want my stuff to get leaked like that. I looked more into NordLocker and it looks like a cool solution - I can use it to encrypt the most important files and not the entire hdd. And there are 5GB for free which I might never use up.

Last edited:

uncle_josh

Reaction score
If you are security conscious, do consider using Eraser.

Your deleted files are not encrypted. Hence ppl might still be able to steal your data .

https://eraser.heidi.ie/

Sent from 今天工作不努力, 明天努力找工作 using GAGT

Ye_Rongtian

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If need encryption, look to those with hardware encryption. Software encryption are slow as hell. I use hardware encrypted SSD together with cloud storage.

jackoats.sg

Reaction score
BitLocker comes with Windows 10 Professional. BitLocker isn't available on Windows 10 Home edition.

Veracrypt is quite easy to use and there is no storage limitation. The strength of your password determines how easy can your encrypted volume be recovered / cracked. You can store your encrypted volume on removable drives. So if your laptop ever get stolen, your files are still with you.

Regards, Ky
Online learning solutions
Cloud computing solutions
h_t_t_p_s_:_/_/_m_i_g_2_._c_l_o_u_d

coolnhappy

Banned
Reaction score
BitLocker comes with Windows 10 Professional. BitLocker isn't available on Windows 10 Home edition.

Veracrypt is quite easy to use and there is no storage limitation. The strength of your password determines how easy can your encrypted volume be recovered / cracked. You can store your encrypted volume on removable drives. So if your laptop ever get stolen, your files are still with you.

Regards, Ky
Online learning solutions
Cloud computing solutions
h_t_t_p_s_:_/_/_m_i_g_2_._c_l_o_u_d

I second this. Veracrypt is good, though I dun exactly use it. I used its predecessor, Truecrypt.

tuckker

Reaction score
But rule of thumb about encryption is still, please ensure that you have a backup of the encryption keys.

If you plan to do a full disk encryption, please have a backup of your data somewhere else as well. Also, if there is any logical disk corruption issues, it is not as easy to recover as compared to a normal unencrypted hard disk.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.