Wine

kunzzy

Reaction score
Singapore Biggest Wine Event by Wine Advocate

29bc7578855a46128c55631a7b6b4e1e_KV_MOT_1142x424-04.png

“Matter of Taste – The Ultimate Fine Wine Experience” is returning for its 6th Singapore edition on Saturday 29th Feb 2020.

The “Grand Walkabout Tasting” featuring “Iconic Wines of the World” is arguably the largest fine wine experience of the year open to the public in Singapore. Wine lovers will gather again to discover and taste several hundred wines rated from RP90 to RP100!

A MATTER OF TASTE (6th Edition)
The Regent Singapore
Saturday 29th February 2020@ 12pm – 5pm

Taste over hundreds of high quality wines with scores from RP90 to RP100!

Mingle with wine personalities, our wine critics & renowned wine makers

For every walkabout tasting ticket (Early Bird S$ 128)

Moulin De La Grangere 2016 St Emilion Grand Cru
(Worth $70)
2020 Tower Club Wine Competition – Gold Award

BUT WAIT THERE IS MORE…
GUARANTEED TASTING OF FIRST GROWTH GRAND CRU CLASSE
Chateau Latour 1975
(Retail Value $1,235)​

Click here for more info
https://www.finewines.com.sg/mot/

kunzzy

Reaction score
grandcru-tasting.jpg

The Great Pauillac Tasting - 28 March 2020 Last 4 Seats

A must-attend event for anyone serious and wants to learn more about great Bordeaux wines

1962 Mouton Rothschild
1964 Mouton Baron Philippe
1988 Haut Bages Liberal
1990 Pichon Baron
2005 Lynch Bages
2010 Duhart Milon

Click here for more information
https://www.finewines.com.sg/monthly-grand-cru-tasting/

GiamCai123

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it's been a while.

What wine is everyone drinking during this ** period?

Been drinking mostly red and white burgs.
Gevreys, morey st denis, Nuit st georges, meursaults, puliny montrachet
Been a loooong time since i last spoke to u :D

How about u? What have u been drinking?

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Been drinking mostly red and white burgs.
Gevreys, morey st denis, Nuit st georges, meursaults, puliny montrachet
Been a loooong time since i last spoke to u :D

How about u? What have u been drinking?

yeah it's been a while. popped back in just to check out what's going on. seems like it's mostly people advertising about tastings hahaha...

i'm still drinking quite broadly. my recent trip to my first white wine love, Germany, was very good and drank across the region and beyond their rieslings. They do amazing pinot noirs there too especially from the 'Ahr' region.

the past 2-3 years i've been very big on tasmanian wines. amazing stuff, the cool climate and soil etc... the wines it makes really balance beautifully between we most people expect between new world and old world styles.

Their rieslings, chards and pinot noirs in tasmania are mouth wateringly good. clearly you enjoy a good burg, so do check them out if you are able to.

i'm not affiliated to them but Tiger Wines in SG is the one bringing in all the top tasmanian producers. Super legit. Free delivery also with no minimum.

on a separate note, which are your go-to appellations in burgundy or do you focus more on the domaine?

GiamCai123

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yeah it's been a while. popped back in just to check out what's going on. seems like it's mostly people advertising about tastings hahaha...

i'm still drinking quite broadly. my recent trip to my first white wine love, Germany, was very good and drank across the region and beyond their rieslings. They do amazing pinot noirs there too especially from the 'Ahr' region.

the past 2-3 years i've been very big on tasmanian wines. amazing stuff, the cool climate and soil etc... the wines it makes really balance beautifully between we most people expect between new world and old world styles.

Their rieslings, chards and pinot noirs in tasmania are mouth wateringly good. clearly you enjoy a good burg, so do check them out if you are able to.

i'm not affiliated to them but Tiger Wines in SG is the one bringing in all the top tasmanian producers. Super legit. Free delivery also with no minimum.

on a separate note, which are your go-to appellations in burgundy or do you focus more on the domaine?
Think my palate has changed quite abit since i was last active in this forum. Used to drink more new world back then but now almost exclusively old world. Good that you are still drinking broadly. I bet your vocabulary has grown by leaps n bounds.

I tried a few new world pinots but cant seem to compare. Tried a highly rated Burn Cottage from central otago which is supposedly 1 of the best regions for pinots in NZ but somehow came up lacking in depth and concentration. I could have been drinking it too young cos i think it was a 2014 or 2015 vintage. Havent tried any from Oregon but i heard its the best spot in the world for p.n outside burgundy.

Any producers u recommend for the tasmanian pinots?
Would love to buy a couple to try

My go to appellations are the usual suspects:
Red: gevrey, chambolle musigny, NSGs, morey st denis, volnay
White: meursault and puligny montrachets

Mostly 1er crus and the occasional grand cru if i'm feeling rich. Haha

Producers still the most important factor for burgs i feel.
Same appellation or even same climat can still turn out worlds apart (in terms of quality and price in the hands of different producers.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Think my palate has changed quite abit since i was last active in this forum. Used to drink more new world back then but now almost exclusively old world. Good that you are still drinking broadly. I bet your vocabulary has grown by leaps n bounds.

I tried a few new world pinots but cant seem to compare. Tried a highly rated Burn Cottage from central otago which is supposedly 1 of the best regions for pinots in NZ but somehow came up lacking in depth and concentration. I could have been drinking it too young cos i think it was a 2014 or 2015 vintage. Havent tried any from Oregon but i heard its the best spot in the world for p.n outside burgundy.

Any producers u recommend for the tasmanian pinots?
Would love to buy a couple to try

My go to appellations are the usual suspects:
Red: gevrey, chambolle musigny, NSGs, morey st denis, volnay
White: meursault and puligny montrachets

Mostly 1er crus and the occasional grand cru if i'm feeling rich. Haha

Producers still the most important factor for burgs i feel.
Same appellation or even same climat can still turn out worlds apart (in terms of quality and price in the hands of different producers.

i recall throughly enjoying the MSD from Thibault Liger Belair. great stuff.

My personal fave from tasmania are Lisdillon and Two Tonne Tasmania. But drop Tiger Wines an email and ask for a recommendation. David (the boss) is super friendly and will be able to give a great recommendation.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what kind of wine should be paired up with what kind of food, i find it really hard to pair it up, any tips?

it's a broad but very relevant question. there is no one perfect pairing as everyone's is different. but here are some general approaches when pairing food that would work in most cases.

the examples I am showing below are wine types that are easily accessible in supermarkets. there are countless other types of wine out there but those can be more difficult to find.

seafood: generally works better with white wines. if it's a rich seafood dish you want something that won't be overpowered and can cut through the richness. So something with a higher acidity like sauvignon blanc or an aussie/nz riesling works well.

steak: most red wines will pair well. french reds, italian reds, aussie reds, american reds etc... syrah/shiraz, cabernet, merlot.

Other meats (pork, chicken etc...): most of the red wines above work well too including pinot noir. Chardonnays can also works well pork and chicken dishes esp if they have a rich sauce, it can cut through.

Spicy foods: generally try to avoid red wines, the chilli generally does't work well it. you can opt for slightly sweeter wines. look out for 'riesling kabinett' or 'riesling spatlese' from germany, since they are quite accessible.

Local food: most local food zhi char work well with white wines (rieslings, sauvignon blancs, chadonnay) or lighter reds (pinot noir & beaujolais). you may want to avoid red wines when eating dishes with lots of dried seafood (preserved fish, hay bee etc...) because it tends to bring out a metallic taste.

Desserts: it is important to get a wine that is sweeter than the dessert. otherwise the wine will taste bitter in comparison. dessert wines are generally sweeter than most desserts.

hope this helps. let me know if you need any additional clarification or a specific pairing you want need.

sfugel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Local chicken curry pairs well with a bold cab sauv. Seriously.

sfugel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sounds like a unique pairing. how does it taste together?

Like a white that cuts through some oiliness. The red will blend the spicy creaminess of the curry and comes up with a very, IMHO, a very unique rich palate.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
to all the general wine drinkers. are there any new regions or grapes that recently discovered and really enjoyed?

do share!

i have recently been in love with wines from Tasmania. I feel it balances classic old world and new world style of wines. Their Pinot Noirs, Chardonnays and Rieslings do especially well.

A travel blog I found that does a nice coverage and summary: https://travellingcorkscrew.com.au/blog/wineries-tasmania/

I'm trying to get more into Chilean wines beyond the usual supermarket labels but I am having troubling finding other wines/retailers that bring in a wider range. any recommendations are welcome.

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Any good red wine to introduce? I drink 1 bottle each day and my budget $20 per bottle and below?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.