2 room bto after 5 years mop also cannot rent out?

tangjiewen

Banned
Reaction score
All along i though for 2 room bto for singles with 99 years lease de.

After 5 years mop, the owner can rent out the entire hdb n move out.

Today my cousin who got the 2 room bto. He say the agreement that he sign with hdb says that he "forever" cannot rent out the 2 room bto, after 5 years mop he can sell the hdb to singles or poor families but he cannot rent it out.

Hdb say because the bto is heavily subsidized so owner cannot rent it out.

Is this true? :eek:

yoongf

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When u rent out whole.. what is the reason u put when u apply for HDB permission?

8zaoyu

Reaction score

vinz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Today my cousin who got the 2 room bto. He say the agreement that he sign with hdb says that he "forever" cannot rent out the 2 room bto, after 5 years mop he can sell the hdb to singles or poor families but he cannot rent it out.

Hdb say because the bto is heavily subsidized so owner cannot rent it out.

Is this true?
What TS mention is OWNER SHIFT OUT, Rent out the whole 2 room unit, and your cousin mention can't be done (from the agreement he/she read)

Pls ask him to show you the agreement and the clause which states what you mentioned. (maybe there is new rule in 2020, who knows?)

or maybe you prefer to believe this official HDB website :
Pls click : Eligibility to rent out whole unit after MOP

Under <<Eligibility conditions for persons who wish to rent HDB flats >> ,
I can see 1room and 2 room flat being reflected there.

To those who are confused, room rental is definitely a NO NO... as the rational is there is no additional room for extra tenant (if owner is already physically staying there.)

Room rental ,
and renting out whole unit,
is two different issues altogether.

Pls don't lump them together and confuse each other.

-vinz

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hdb flat is for owner occupation. Even if invest in pte property, hv to stay hdb and rent out the pte.

2rm got no seperate room to rent out. So owner stay where? Thats the rationale.

https://www.gov.sg/article/renting-out-your-hdb-flat

For room rental, it's clear 'Only bedrooms from HDB flats that are 3-room or larger can be rented out'

But one is allowed to sublet whole flat after MOP.

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My bro rented out his 2rm flat for many years already though new rules allow only 3 years or 1.5 years depending on tenant's status.

8zaoyu

Reaction score
she said she don't care
Do govt buy back the leasehold of two room flats had she or he buys a 99 lease when 35 yrs at the time when they bought ? If destined to singlehood especially post 40 women, need money if no regular or no income what. Who going to clean their asses?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.