Syfe REIT+

bluegt

Reaction score

assiak71

Master Member
Reaction score
I guess this can complement syfe's global portfolio. What ratio would be good? Global:reits = 2:1?

Han Shot First

Reaction score
Could this be considered as a kind-of unit trust comprising 15 S-REIT stocks and a bond ETF where Syfe is the (active) fund manager?

If so, its annual management fee is much cheaper than the REIT unit trusts that are available.

If compare to REIT ETFs available on SGX, its TER of 0.65% + fee for the bond ETF is about 0.05% to 0.15% more expensive than the Nikko REIT ETF and the Lion REIT ETF respectively.

However, I would think a pure REIT (equity) portfolio without any bonds (in a bond ETF) ought to perform better in the long-term, but probably with more volatility.

assiak71

Master Member
Reaction score
If compare to REIT ETFs available on SGX, its TER of 0.65% + fee for the bond ETF is about 0.05% to 0.15% more expensive than the Nikko REIT ETF and the Lion REIT ETF respectively.

I would use syfe's 0.4% as S$100k is not too high to hit

Those etfs' ter are 0.6% and 0.58% btw.

So syfe is actually the lowest now based on 0.4%, about 0.1% more than sti etf

Last edited:

bluegt

Reaction score
I would use syfe's 0.4% as S$100k is not too high to hit

Those etfs' ter are 0.6% and 0.58% btw.

So syfe is actually the lowest now based on 0.4%, about 0.1% more than sti etf

In terms of benchmark, I wouldn't compare against STI ETF.

First, Singapore is a very inefficient market with high fees. Secondly, anybody with a reasonable sum of money should be diversifying geographically and as such, investing outside of SGX. All of a sudden, the benchmark becomes global ETFs that charge 0.1-0.5% and not the STI ETF.

I don't see the value-add that Syfe is providing. In fact, given how correlated REITs are with bonds, I would be annoyed any time they shift towards bonds. The risk profile stays similar while the returns drop. I hope they publish some backtesting results with and without "ARI" (that go further back than 2017...).

The value in this is perhaps the re-balancing and the reduction in transaction costs which is worth maybe 0.2% annually - not 0.4-0.6%.

-- If you want a really hands-off approach, 0.4% is ok, but I would really want proof that this ARI thing is going to help rather than hurt.

Last edited:

assiak71

Master Member
Reaction score
-- If you want a really hands-off approach, 0.4% is ok, but I would really want proof that this ARI thing is going to help rather than hurt.

As you said, 0.4% is still ok. Thats the main point.

I would like to add that having 1 consolidated managed acc is also good for beneficiaries especially if they are not financially well versed. If your beneficiaries are financially literate, you are lucky. Imagine they are not, whats going to happen when you pass away? They will have to deal with ibkr, fsmone etc or even worse individual stocks/reits. What if theres a rights issue after you pass away?

For me there is this ease/convenience which such robos/managed accs bring. At <=0.4% i think it is still ok though i hope syfe can introduce 1 more tier for maybe 500k or 1mil

Reaction score
I did a quick comparison of Syfe vs Lion S-REIT ETF

Lion S-REIT ETF
0.50% Management Fee
0.25% Brokerage Fee*
0.04% Clearing and access fee
0.15% Custody / Trustee fee
0.10% Rebalancing fee
???? other charges (prospectus shows a lot of other things but aren't really clear)
--------------------------
1.04%+++

https://www.poems.com.sg/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/LGI_LionPhillip-S-Reit-ETF-_PHS_1017.pdf
Maybe someone understands all the other fees on top of page 4 and can explain.

Syfe
0.4-0.65%
0.03% for bond share (Nikko AM ABF 0.15% x 20% share)
--------------------------
0.43-0.68%

Syfe is significantly lower cost and at least it's easy to understand and transparent.

Buying DIY a range of products is even more expensive because of brokerage fees to buy all the REITs 1 by 1 and then rebalancing...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Kristal.AI has a “Asia REITs SGD” offering which requires a minimum of $13k.

Not sure how it compares to Syfe’s offering or directly buying REITs from SGX.

Okenba

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I had hoped that REIT+ would follow the rest of their offerings and have different weightings for different risk levels. I would not mind something with a lower percentage of bonds.

Really, with CPF, I think most Singaporeans have more than enough bonds...

assiak71

Master Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if the the weights within the bond and REIT portfolio is dynamic as well.

And how is this different from stashaway offering?
The bond is just 1 A35 etf.

I am also interested to know if within the reits is it dynamic

I have sent syfe a list of qns. See what they reply. Or maybe they will address at the workshop

assiak71

Master Member
Reaction score
I dont understand why they have MAGIC in it. No sg properties

Or is it simply due to market cap?

assiak71

Master Member
Reaction score
I had hoped that REIT+ would follow the rest of their offerings and have different weightings for different risk levels. I would not mind something with a lower percentage of bonds.

Really, with CPF, I think most Singaporeans have more than enough bonds...

This is moderate risk according to their website (same as their global portfolio DR 15%).

See the first link i posted again. It can go 100% reits too. Its dynamic. Now it has 24.5% in A35 probably because it detected increased risk (wuhan?)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.