AMD Ryzen NB Discussion| Lenovo Thinkpad E495/E595/T495/X395 Well-rounder performance CPU + GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcrash

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link.

I wasn’t able to select most of my USB disk as recovery during the process. Not sure the reason despite all my USB drives satisfy the requirements. Windows 10 is able to detect all of them.

Manage to create the recovery when I tried the last one.

what's the size of your drives?
I vaguely remember i was only successful after i pop in a 16GB/32GB stick, not sure which one i popped in.

Was concurrently doing another recovery drive for my HP Envy

dreamer_toons

Master Member
Reaction score
what's the size of your drives?
I vaguely remember i was only successful after i pop in a 16GB/32GB stick, not sure which one i popped in.

Was concurrently doing another recovery drive for my HP Envy

I'm using 32GB drive but it fails.

Resort to using a MicroSD card inserted into the USB card reader and the creation cam proceed.

Henabi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does your thumb drive have other files?

Usually I use a freshly formatted flash drive

Sent from Henabi virus using GAGT

gripen

Reaction score
Just want to share my lenovo svc support experience for those interested.

My E585 was overheating under load and sometimes BSOD, so i used online chat to contact support. I was 1st in queue and discussed with the rep, showing her screenshot of 70C temp alongside only 20% cpu usage. She said engineer will be sent and I received sms confirmation about an hour later. Appointment date was next day.

Engineer called before arriving. He was very friendly and gave frank advice. He said AMD will run hotter than intel, so may want to consider laptop fan pad if I'll be using laptop for 8+ hours a day. After warranty, I can also consider replacing the thermal grease on my own. He checked then replaced the heatsink fan assembly (easy, 4 screws and a plug), and said to call him directly if problem returns.

The entire flawless support process took less than 24 hours. I'm so glad I got their on-site 3-yr support.

Background of my overheating problem:
My 1 yr old e585 was reaching 85C while just performing backup or installing large software, sometimes resulting in BSOD. (disks temp were just 44C, 54C) A previous large windows update BSOD midway and corrupted my windows. This never happened before.

Took me a while to come to conclusion it was heat related. I ran lenovo's windows diagnostics software but fan test passed. Fortunately I found the problem after I monitored using HWMonitor. (the engineer mentioned lenovo has a temperature software for download too)

After the replacement, I ran backup and max temp immediately reduced to 75C. The old fan looked very clean and perfect, so it should be that the thermal grease lost effectiveness over time.

I think it's more likely to be poor thermal paste application from the factory or sub-optimal heatsink contact. That said, my E585 ranges from 42C to 88C during normal usage at room temp of about 29C.

It's possible that the newer BIOS have changes to the CPU throttling behaviour, cos I don't remember seeing temperatures of more than 82C a few BIOS versions back.
I have ran Intel i7 8650u on Thinkpad x280 beyond 90C under full load (there is a limit to how well a slim chassis can cool).

The notebook design & thermal/power limits set by the OEM in the bios make the biggest difference.
It's not true that AMD mobile CPUs run hotter than equivalent Intel CPUs, at least for CPUs fabbed under 12nm/14nm process & set to run at similar power limits (eg: 25W).

can share what is the lenovo temperature sw ?
Just use CPU Coretemp.

cryn79

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am using a T495. My laptop has been lagging very badly ( eg open chrome, open jpg file) it spins for quite a while, even scrolling down a web page it lags.
I even have problem shutting down.
Could it be due to the windows upgrade to V1909 (2)?thnks
iXFPnnn.jpg

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am using a T495. My laptop has been lagging very badly ( eg open chrome, open jpg file) it spins for quite a while, even scrolling down a web page it lags.
I even have problem shutting down.
Could it be due to the windows upgrade to V1909 (2)?thnks
iXFPnnn.jpg

Do a clean install if you know how to.

dreamer_toons

Master Member
Reaction score
Does your thumb drive have other files?

Usually I use a freshly formatted flash drive

It was formatted several times right before I start the process of creating the recovery.

Yesterday, I bought another thumbdrive, same brand USB 3 and capacity, and it works out of the box.

Just curious about the reason it fails to work on the older thumbdrive despite Windows 10 detects and read/write flawlessly with it.

overcrash

Master Member
Reaction score
It was formatted several times right before I start the process of creating the recovery.

Yesterday, I bought another thumbdrive, same brand USB 3 and capacity, and it works out of the box.

Just curious about the reason it fails to work on the older thumbdrive despite Windows 10 detects and read/write flawlessly with it.

glad to hear that it's working for you now.
Mind sharing which brand/model thumbdrive giving you the issue?

Ye_Rongtian

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Now bad time to buy customized laptop. Likely to take over 1 month rather than 2 weeks (as shown on website) from payment to shipping.

dreamer_toons

Master Member
Reaction score
glad to hear that it's working for you now.
Mind sharing which brand/model thumbdrive giving you the issue?

Sandisk Extreme USB3 32GB has the issue. But I dont really think it is faulty since Windows 10 is able to detect and I can continue to read/write files to it during my testing. Probably it is due to disk partition as someone has pointed out.

Bought 2 Sandisk Ultra 32GB with no issue out of the box.

dreamer_toons

Master Member
Reaction score
Now bad time to buy customized laptop. Likely to take over 1 month rather than 2 weeks (as shown on website) from payment to shipping.

Read someone purchase got delayed previously.

Bought mine before the CNY and fortunately, I received it 2 weeks later. If not for the CNY holidays, I aight receive it earlier.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sandisk Extreme USB3 32GB has the issue. But I dont really think it is faulty since Windows 10 is able to detect and I can continue to read/write files to it during my testing. Probably it is due to disk partition as someone has pointed out.

Bought 2 Sandisk Ultra 32GB with no issue out of the box.

I had the issue with Extreme pro when creating recovery media/tools.
Thus I usually use Ultra to do it than
Extreme pro.

noobified

Reaction score
Currently lenovo factory closed until 9 Feb by order of PRC. If China government announce another week closure.. :s13:

The Live Chat CSO is pissed off by now.

:s13: their live chat wasn't online yesterday. any idea where they ship from? Shenzhen?

Ye_Rongtian

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dear Customer,

Due to the recent coronavirus outbreak, the Chinese Government has imposed regulations restricting the movement of personnel across many regions in China. This has impacted our factory operations and delivery schedule. Our factories will be partially operational during the middle of February before returning to normal operations by end of February. Therefore, your orders may be delayed for an additional 2-3 weeks. We are in constant communication with our factories on delivery schedule.

If you would like to know more about ready-to-ship options that are available in our warehouse, please contact our sales and online chat team at 800-601-1481 option #1.

Should you have further questions, please feel free to reach out to us. We are sorry for any inconvenience this delay may have caused.

Thank you for your support.
Lenovo Singapore

Henabi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lenovo factory will start full production only from 24 Feb.
Whether they can start successfully or not... That is another question.

What I heard is that China factories need to submit a request to resume work to the local Province authority.

The province authority will need to check if the factory is able to reduce n prevent local transmission of coronavirus to the lowest possibility.
Check whether have mask
Check this, check that.
If don't have... Cannot resume work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.