M1 FIBRE BROADBAND DISCUSSION - Part 2

badsector

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update. Factory reset the router, and the speed is back to normal. That is after checking with M1 technical helpline, and confirm direct modem to PC no problem.

dYnIPBmb4pOl5vo.png

no issues. test from AP

ah_cleo

Master Member
Reaction score
i think any router also can work with M1 as they are not tagged to any vlan.

perhaps someone can confirmed

killerer

Reaction score
Yea appreciate some confirmation cos I called M1 and they refused to confirm, telling me to call Starhub to check.
I called Linksys to check and they confirmed that Linksys routers are not locked with Starhub.
But will appreciate some confirmation that Starhub issued routers (specifically EA7500) will work with M1.

FYI, I tried EA7500 with Singtel 1Gbps fibre broadband and it dosent work, even with VLAN settings.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yea appreciate some confirmation cos I called M1 and they refused to confirm, telling me to call Starhub to check.
I called Linksys to check and they confirmed that Linksys routers are not locked with Starhub.
But will appreciate some confirmation that Starhub issued routers (specifically EA7500) will work with M1.

FYI, I tried EA7500 with Singtel 1Gbps fibre broadband and it dosent work, even with VLAN settings.

Did you remove all the VLAN settings on the EA7500? Nowadays RSP/ISP doesn't bother with what type of equipment user has. Even old RG equipment like HG256s can be reuse to work on any service provider by removing the VLAN settings.

killerer

Reaction score
Did you remove all the VLAN settings on the EA7500? Nowadays RSP/ISP doesn't bother with what type of equipment user has. Even old RG equipment like HG256s can be reuse to work on any service provider by removing the VLAN settings.

yup i factory-reset and tried all the VLAN combi and on current Singtel network. No joy.
But im moving to M1 next week so wana confirm if Starhub's EA7500 works on M1.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yup i factory-reset and tried all the VLAN combi and on current Singtel network. No joy.
But im moving to M1 next week so wana confirm if Starhub's EA7500 works on M1.

Can't comment on the EA7500 but as long as it is a standard router, not running on any ISP customized firmware, it should work out-of-the-box on M1 network.

killerer

Reaction score
Can't comment on the EA7500 but as long as it is a standard router, not running on any ISP customized firmware, it should work out-of-the-box on M1 network.

i see. thats great. and based on linksys' reply, i guess it should work. Thanks!

chaozhouzi

Reaction score
I am on M1 1Gbps boardband and just recontracted 2 days ago. There is a Linksys velop mesh router offered by M1 so Linksys branded router no issue as M1 is offering it.
Previously I had used Dlink router issued by starhub with no issue; upgraded to a Netgear router bought off the market also no issue. Currently using Asus router.

chaozhouzi

Reaction score
Oh yes, I did use 2 nos. of Dlink different model routers both from starhub. Did also use a Cisco router before it bought over Linksys.

Elon Jobs

Reaction score
N4lMmtf.jpg

Read the reviews and advice of you experts on this thread and just did an early recontract with M1 and downgraded from 1Gbps to 500Mbps a couple of days ago.

Did a speed test with my iPhone 8 about 3 metres away from my 4-5 year old TPLink Archer C7 access point. Seems like 500Mpbs is actually enough for simple home usage! Thanks all for the advice!

Whizdom

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Light gaming on ps4
Internet tv for movies etc.
3person using wifi on phone/tablet
And also laptop
500mbps or 1gbps sufficient?

Sent from Samsung SM-T860 using GAGT

-Grift-

Reaction score
Light gaming on ps4
Internet tv for movies etc.
3person using wifi on phone/tablet
And also laptop
500mbps or 1gbps sufficient?

Sent from Samsung SM-T860 using GAGT

People doing more with less than 100Mbps ;)

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

M1 is tied to the MAC address of the router or PC. So when your change a new router, you won't be able to access the internet. This is what I just learnt when I complain about the speed to the M1 helpline. But no problem, when you connect your new router, just call the M1 helpline, they can update your new router Mac address on immediately.

AC2

Reaction score
M1 is tied to the MAC address of the router or PC. So when your change a new router, you won't be able to access the internet. This is what I just learnt when I complain about the speed to the M1 helpline. But no problem, when you connect your new router, just call the M1 helpline, they can update your new router Mac address on immediately.

If you dont want to call M1(if long queue time), just switch off your ONT for >10min, the ONT will release the old router MAC address and u can use the new router. M1 helpline told me that.

zzxxzzxx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To stream in 4K Ultra HD with HDR, Netflix recommends you have a consistent minimum download speed of at least 25 megabits per second. That multiplies out to roughly 11.25 gigabytes per hour.

So typical speed we need for home is 100mbps.
In Singapore, slowest home broadband speed is/was 300mbps. More than sufficient.
Next is 500mbps, 1000mbps (1gbps), 2 gbps, 10gbps.

But it's the stability of our ISP that is more important....

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.