M1 FIBRE BROADBAND DISCUSSION - Part 2

AC2

Reaction score
you will only noticed the difference when u have lot of ppl at home sharing the connection around the same time. like one streaming, one playing game, one downloading etc etc.

krazyhippo

Reaction score
Yea appreciate some confirmation cos I called M1 and they refused to confirm, telling me to call Starhub to check.
I called Linksys to check and they confirmed that Linksys routers are not locked with Starhub.
But will appreciate some confirmation that Starhub issued routers (specifically EA7500) will work with M1.

FYI, I tried EA7500 with Singtel 1Gbps fibre broadband and it dosent work, even with VLAN settings.

EA8100 with M1 , plug and play. No issue

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just sign up to M1......great deal and promotion from M1.....
terminate starhub as they had no deal and promo to offer

received the promotion item asus router

just take note that the 24mth free Surf Value plan's (ie the SIM card), end date may be earlier than your fibre plan end date

in my latest bill, i got charged $2 as the Surf Value ended 2 weeks earlier ... i would have missed it if I did not look at the bill carefully :(

have to call M1 to find out what is the end date and cancel just before end date

M1 says refund will be reflected in next bill

Arandalo

Master Member
Reaction score
just take note that the 24mth free Surf Value plan's (ie the SIM card), end date may be earlier than your fibre plan end date

in my latest bill, i got charged $2 as the Surf Value ended 2 weeks earlier ... i would have missed it if I did not look at the bill carefully :(

have to call M1 to find out what is the end date and cancel just before end date

M1 says refund will be reflected in next bill

For new sign ups, the SIM card will start on the day of sign up at M1, but the fibre contract will only start on the ONT installation date which is usually later because of the terminal point installation followed by the ONT installation (a few days after). For my case my SIM card started on 7th Sep but my fibre contract only started on 1st Oct (ONT installation date). So like your case my SIM card will end earlier than my fibre.

However when you recontract I think there won't be this issue?

Can I ask why were you charged $2? I thought after 24 months the SIM card will auto be cancelled? No?

Last edited:

Arandalo

Master Member
Reaction score
Edit: I called M1 regarding the issue and hope this will be useful for anyone who comes across.

M1 will auto charge $10 per month (pro rated if used less than a month) for the bundled SIM card after it expires. Expiry date is 24 months after the date of sign up (not ONT activation date which is usually later for new sign ups).
If you want to avoid any charges, have to call M1 to cancel the SIM card before expiry date.

For those considering to recontract, you can start to recontract from 4 months before the end date of your fibre contract (which follows your ONT activation date).

If you wish to retain the same SIM card number and don't want to pay $10 per month (while you wait for your fibre contract to end), simply recontract (online) any time from 4 months prior to fibre contract end date and before SIM card expiry date.

For those that want to have a new SIM card number, remember to call M1 to cancel your SIM card before expiry date. After which you can go down to M1 shop to recontract (assuming you're eligible to recontract already) and they will issue you a new number for the SIM card.
Note that once you have cancelled your SIM card before your fibre contract ends, you won't be eligible to recontract online as the plan has "changed" (according to M1 staff). So the only way to recontract is through M1 shop.

Once you have recontract at least once, it will not be an issue anymore as the SIM card expiry date and fibre contract date will be synced to the same date.

Last edited:

Apex

Reaction score
1gbp n 500mbp not much difference

If you running fully wireless internet at home.

Laptop, phone, media box and tv all on wifi.

Than 1gbps and 500mbps no diff. Most wireless device normally can’t hit more then 500mbps.

And if you have a lot user on the wifi network the speed might drop as more device connect.

dodongdodong

Master Member
Reaction score
May I ask how do you utilize the sim card? I don't dare to put in my phone for fear of exceeding the bundled data.

badsector

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
May I ask how do you utilize the sim card? I don't dare to put in my phone for fear of exceeding the bundled data.

i use it when travelling via changi airport. off auto media download on all chat app
main sim kept at home connected using simbox

eauyong

Reaction score
using this product

so far i've made a few local calls. voice was clear

Seems to be useful for iphone user.

Someone describe it as follows:-

It will make your iphone into a dual or triple sim iphone. The box will be connected to your home wifi to have internet access to communicate to your iphone. And your iphone must have data connection or wifi. Very useful if you travelling abroad, you only need internet connection when travelling and use this dual sim to call and sms to your home country at no roaming charges. Just like youre in your own country.

fluid_motion

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
main sim in SG call SG line use talktime from ur telco plan only

overseas sim use local data loh

no roaming charges

Thanks, I understand the purpose is to save roaming call charges. The question you replied to was what you do with the free m1 sim that comes with fiber. In such case, you'd need to pay for the local call charges if using this bundled m1 sim.

Now that I think of it, is there any box like this that can connect to the m1 phoneline since it has free calls? :)

badsector

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I understand the purpose is to save roaming call charges. The question you replied to was what you do with the free m1 sim that comes with fiber. In such case, you'd need to pay for the local call charges if using this bundled m1 sim.

Now that I think of it, is there any box like this that can connect to the m1 phoneline since it has free calls? :)

m1 data sim only used during journey to airport. local call during that short 2-3hrs can use whatsapp, wechat, telegram..e.g.

maybe ur needs and mine diff. hehe

eauyong

Reaction score
m1 data sim only used during journey to airport. local call during that short 2-3hrs can use whatsapp, wechat, telegram..e.g.

maybe ur needs and mine diff. hehe

My understanding is this:-

When in overseas such as Taiwan;

2nd iphone (Chunghwa sim with data) --> Simbox (with M1 sim) connected to Router 24/7 --> 1st iphone local call.

In overseas but using data and NOT IDD calls but it is a mobile local call in Singapore.

Last edited:

Arandalo

Master Member
Reaction score
Seems to be useful for iphone user.

Someone describe it as follows:-

It will make your iphone into a dual or triple sim iphone. The box will be connected to your home wifi to have internet access to communicate to your iphone. And your iphone must have data connection or wifi. Very useful if you travelling abroad, you only need internet connection when travelling and use this dual sim to call and sms to your home country at no roaming charges. Just like youre in your own country.

Interesting workaround for roaming calls but like a bit tedious

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Edit: I called M1 regarding the issue and hope this will be useful for anyone who comes across.

Thanks for sharing this ...

I was also unable to recontract online as I had terminated the SurfValue plan before fibre end date ... luckily saw your post earlier else I would have spent time trying to figure out why ...

I proceeded straight to M1 Shop to get it done (downgrade from 1g to 500M).

Was a little surprised that the new plan cut over was immediate .. thot it would start when existing plan ends.

I was given a new SIM card on the spot.

Home fixed line number remains the same.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.