Mobile Phone Power Bank PD and QC

GoodBetterBest

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi !

Want to clarify something with you guys..

1. PD aka Power Delivery is only via a Power Bank Type C output ?
2. PD is only for iPhones ? Not Android ?
3. Type C output does not provide QC Quick Charge ?
4. iPhone does not do QC ?

I only have Android, so PD is irrelevant to me, right ? And Power Banks without Type C output is also irrelevant to me, right ?

pustefix

Reaction score
Hi !

I only have Android, so PD is irrelevant to me, right ? And Power Banks without Type C output is also irrelevant to me, right ?

Let me try,

1. PD is via Type C output only, power banks and chargers have them.
2. Many newer Android phones support PD, I've tested on Samsung A50/A70, Xiaomi mi9t. I know many of them supported PD, just search.
3. I think the new QC4 uses the type C output as well.
4. QC only works on Qualcomm chip, so no support on iPhone.

If you are looking for a new powerbank/charger, I would suggest looking for one with both type C and Type A output, type C for newer phones and laptops, type A for older phones and other devices.

Arandalo

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi !

1. Yes
2. No. Both.
3. Not true.
4. If you're specifically referring to Qualcomm quick charge, the device needs to be running on Qualcomm chips to benefit from it. So no iPhone does not support Qualcomm quick charge. Only power delivery (fast charging).

However there are many times of quick / fast charging besides Qualcomm quick charge. For example Samsung uses adaptive fast charging (a variation of Qualcomm quick charge 2.0), OnePlus uses wrap charge, Oppo uses VOOC flash charge, Huawei uses super charge etc. But note that all these charging technologies mentioned in this paragraph are more relevant for the stock wall charger that comes with the phone.

For power banks, the 2 main (fast) charging technologies that are mainstream are power delivery and Qualcomm quick charge. However you can still get the specific "brand" charging technology if the company also makes power banks. For example, Samsung makes power banks that comes with their adaptive fast charging.

Power delivery is still relevant for Android phones. Some power banks with USB type A can also do Qualcomm quick charge 3.0.

For more information:
https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/feature-need-speed-shootout-fast-charging-standards
https://www.androidauthority.com/fast-charging-explained-889780/amp/

Last edited:

GoodBetterBest

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. Yes
2. No. Both.
3. Not true.
4. If you're specifically referring to Qualcomm quick charge, the device needs to be running on Qualcomm chips to benefit from it. So no iPhone does not support Qualcomm quick charge. Only power delivery (fast charging).

However there are many times of quick / fast charging besides Qualcomm quick charge. For example Samsung uses adaptive fast charging (a variation of Qualcomm quick charge 2.0), OnePlus uses wrap charge, Oppo uses VOOC flash charge, Huawei uses super charge etc. But note that all these charging technologies mentioned in this paragraph are more relevant for the stock wall charger that comes with the phone.

For power banks, the 2 main (fast) charging technologies that are mainstream are power delivery and Qualcomm quick charge. However you can still get the specific "brand" charging technology if the company also makes power banks. For example, Samsung makes power banks that comes with their adaptive fast charging.

Power delivery is still relevant for Android phones. Some power banks with USB type A can also do Qualcomm quick charge 3.0.

For more information:
https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/feature-need-speed-shootout-fast-charging-standards
https://www.androidauthority.com/fast-charging-explained-889780/amp/

For Samsung AFC, can only use the stock adapter ? Ordinary QC cannot ?

Thanks !

Arandalo

Master Member
Reaction score

Thanks !

Can. But you'll only reap the benefits up to Qualcomm quick charge 2.0. Currently Qualcomm quick charge 4.0 is already in the market.

If your device happens to be a Samsung note 10 + which has the fastest charging technology for Samsung phones, read the following: Super Fast Charging 2.0 is only available with 45W Travel Adapter (PD3.0 standard) and 5A cable, which are sold separately.

Source:
https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-note10/specs/

Audiology93

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Thanks !
Can. Most Qualcomm quick charge 2.0/3.0/4.0 can fast charge Samsung's AFC supported devices. Tried xiaomi's qc2.0 charger and it can fast charge my Note 8.

Sent from LG G7 ThinQ using GAGT

5star_pundit

Banned
Reaction score
all newer powerbank are backward compatible. it can be used to charge old hp regardless of the power ratings as long as it fits yr hp connector

GoodBetterBest

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can. Most Qualcomm quick charge 2.0/3.0/4.0 can fast charge Samsung's AFC supported devices. Tried xiaomi's qc2.0 charger and it can fast charge my Note 8.

But I wonder if non-Samsung charger can use AFC.

Audiology93

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But I wonder if non-Samsung charger can use AFC.
I've tried using Samsung AFC charger to charge my LG G7 and it works with fast charging. Tried to use my LG G7 qc charger to charge note 8 and I get fast charging as well.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.