2020 market expectations and positioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

DukeCS33

Reaction score
are there any reason to buy sti etf over the 3 local bank stocks? I'm curious as it seems the returns of the 3 local bank stocks are better in terms of capital appreciation and dividend since the 2008 crisis.

Posted from PCWX using Redmi K20 Pro

The risk is different. With the STI ETF, it is diversified and you may never fear any delisting, collapse. The Banks constitute a major percentage of the STI but one is exposed to sector risk. So its going to be a case of alpha vs beta and how much risk adjusted return you would accept.

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you think Shell will cut dividend?

Good question. But look at price action, has a lower dividend already been priced in?

The long-term question to ask is which of the oil majors will succeed in transforming into an 'energy' company and not just an oil company that dabbles in other forms of energy. I think that Shell is actually going to be one of the leaders. This is one of my buy and hold forever dividend stocks

The US oil majors probably flush with cash due to Shale oil so they may be more complacent, not as willing to change.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have short put positions on RDS AMS expiring end of the year. I bought in into the trade deal and reflation story, when it was at 26, now at 23 odd. Kind of back fired but we will see where it ends the year. I also have similar XLE puts and puts on ING bank. XLE also significantly under water, I entered it when XLE was at 60.

MpjieKT.jpg

zn1kxxW.jpg

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have short put positions on RDS AMS expiring end of the year. I bought in into the trade deal and reflation story, when it was at 26, now at 23 odd. Kind of back fired but we will see where it ends the year. I also have similar XLE puts and puts on ING bank. XLE also significantly under water, I entered it when XLE was at 60.

if you are short RDS, wouldn't you be making profit since RDS price dropped quite a bit since you opened the position on 20 Jan?? I not into options so I wouldn't know how to read the pic u posted.

I am feeling that this is a very good time to stock up on Shell.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In the early 80s Exxon got into some pretty crazy businesses for an oil company, including microprocessors and even small business computers. They owned Zilog for example, a semiconductor company that eclipsed Intel during the 8-bit microprocessor era.

I cannot think of a major oil company that has successfully pivoted yet. I hope Shell and others can do it, but I’m skeptical.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In the early 80s Exxon got into some pretty crazy businesses for an oil company, including microprocessors and even small business computers. They owned Zilog for example, a semiconductor company that eclipsed Intel during the 8-bit microprocessor era.

I cannot think of a major oil company that has successfully pivoted yet. I hope Shell and others can do it, but I’m skeptical.

lol If only Exxon had bought some other semiconductor companies like ADI or TI, I wonder how would they be now.

Of course this is with the benefit of hindsight.

Newbyib

Reaction score
This is a small trade - you are talking about 5200(eur?) position if you take over the stock? It doesn’t seem like you can get a good edge for this trade though because a lot things can happen over 1 year period and statistically the variance will be higher as the time length is longer. Anyway is the contract liquid? The European option market doesn’t look very liquid the last time I checked and the spread is very high.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is a small trade - you are talking about 5200(eur?) position if you take over the stock? It doesn’t seem like you can get a good edge for this trade though because a lot things can happen over 1 year period and statistically the variance will be higher as the time length is longer. Anyway is the contract liquid? The European option market doesn’t look very liquid the last time I checked and the spread is very high.

This is fully cash secured and the plan is to hold until maturity, so liquidity doesnt matter, I am not going to be forced to buy it back. Whatever happens, worstcase scenario, I will buy the stock at the strike price at the end of the year.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if you are short RDS, wouldn't you be making profit since RDS price dropped quite a bit since you opened the position on 20 Jan?? I not into options so I wouldn't know how to read the pic u posted.

I am feeling that this is a very good time to stock up on Shell.

I am short on 26 strike 2 put contracts of shell expiring in Dec this year. This means, I sold the contract to someone and I am agreeing to buy 2X100 shares of shell at the price of 26 Euros by the end of this year, if the price of shell stays below 26. In return to this obligation I got paid premium of 2X100X2.2 = 440 Euros upfront, which is about 8.4%.

Shell has high dividend payout so when dividend is paid out, the stock price falls proportional to the dividend, so huge part of the premium is actually the dividend yield, that I have got.

Now the price of shell has fallen so much that if I would have gotten into this contract now, I would have received a premium of 2X100X4.12 = 824 Euros. So right now it is technically a mark to market loss of 824-440= 384 Euros.

Last edited:

kaya123

Reaction score
Good question. But look at price action, has a lower dividend already been priced in?

The long-term question to ask is which of the oil majors will succeed in transforming into an 'energy' company and not just an oil company that dabbles in other forms of energy. I think that Shell is actually going to be one of the leaders. This is one of my buy and hold forever dividend stocks

The US oil majors probably flush with cash due to Shale oil so they may be more complacent, not as willing to change.
Which exchange do you buy shell from? Is it NYSE? I am thinking to buy shell on NYSE but wondering if 30% WHT would apply. Someone told me since RDS.B on NYSE is depositary receipt, hence 30% WHT won't apply.

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which exchange do you buy shell from? Is it NYSE? I am thinking to buy shell on NYSE but wondering if 30% WHT would apply. Someone told me since RDS.B on NYSE is depositary receipt, hence 30% WHT won't apply.

I buy Shell B ADR on NYSE

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

ADR follows the wht of the source country. In this case NL whatever wht they have will be used.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'll repeat: unless you're a U.S. person, ADRs are not subject to any U.S. taxes of any kind.

ADR follows the wht of the source country. In this case NL whatever wht they have will be used.
Or a lower treaty rate, handled by the ADR manager (internal to the ADR), and in this case (Shell and the U.S.-Netherlands tax treaty) that could be exactly what's going on. In some cases you may need to be a U.S. person holding the ADR to benefit from a lower tax treaty rate, if applicable, but it won't be a higher rate.

I do not generally recommend individual stock (or ADR) investing.

Last edited:

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Shell is also listed on LSE... I buy the ADR that holds LSE listed Shell B shares because no WHT for SG investors.

For options there are probably different considerations but for long-term dividend investors, obviously LSE listed Shell B should be your starting point

Just like BHP. I'm vested in ADRs holding the LSE-listed BHP, not the Australia-listed BHP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.