My acer laptop battery drains after shutting down

Glariel

Banned
Reaction score
Hi,

I noticed a battery drain on my Acer laptop whenever I press shut down on the computer. External HDD have light.

When I do research, it says:

Shutting Down Your Computer in Windows 8

How do I completely shut down my Windows 8 computer?

There is more than one way to completely shut down your system. You can use any of the methods below to power off your computer:

Method 1:
Press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds.

Method 2:
Click the Acer Power Button in the lower left corner of your screen.
Select Shut Down to completely shut off your PC.

Method 3:
Press the Windows () key + C, or swipe in from the right edge of the screen to open your Charms.
Select Settings.
Click the Power icon.
Hold down the Shift key and click Shut Down.

Method 1 says press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds, means? After shut down or what? if windows mode press and hold power button wont spoil the laptop meh?

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26265

micxiao

Reaction score
Hi Glariel,

I understand that you are having external devices still lighted up after your PC has been shutdown.

This is probably because in Windows 8 onwards, the default behaviour for shutdown was changed in an effort to improve startup times, i.e. it behaves more like a sort of deep sleep rather than a full shutdown.

To have your PC fully shutdown when you press the shutdown button, please go to Control Panel > Power Options > Look on the left side for "Choose what the Power Buttons do" > Uncheck the "Turn on Fast Startup" option

Afterwards, your PC should fully shutdown whenever you shutdown the PC.

Also, it is not advisable to perform your stated Method 1 (Hold down Power Button for 5 secs) as that will perform a forced improper shutdown, which may interrupt your hard disk activity and cause data corruption. A forced shutdown is usually used as a last resort when your PC stops responding to any other inputs.

:)

Glariel

Banned
Reaction score
Hi Glariel,

I understand that you are having external devices still lighted up after your PC has been shutdown.

This is probably because in Windows 8 onwards, the default behaviour for shutdown was changed in an effort to improve startup times, i.e. it behaves more like a sort of deep sleep rather than a full shutdown.

To have your PC fully shutdown when you press the shutdown button, please go to Control Panel > Power Options > Look on the left side for "Choose what the Power Buttons do" > Uncheck the "Turn on Fast Startup" option

Afterwards, your PC should fully shutdown whenever you shutdown the PC.

Also, it is not advisable to perform your stated Method 1 (Hold down Power Button for 5 secs) as that will perform a forced improper shutdown, which may interrupt your hard disk activity and cause data corruption. A forced shutdown is usually used as a last resort when your PC stops responding to any other inputs.

:)

tried the method before already still the same.

micxiao

Reaction score
tried the method before already still the same.

Oh, some PCs have a dedicated charging USB port that can power/charge USB devices even when the PC is turned off.

Usually, this function can be turned off in the BIOS settings.

Maybe could be caused by this instead?

Glariel

Banned
Reaction score
Bios got no such option

Oh, some PCs have a dedicated charging USB port that can power/charge USB devices even when the PC is turned off.

Usually, this function can be turned off in the BIOS settings.

Maybe could be caused by this instead?

Glariel

Banned
Reaction score
Found the issue. It’s the USB port issue. That particular USB port got power drawing when the laptop is shut down.

Changed USB port and the external hard disk no longer light up after laptop is shut down

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.