NTU/NUS/SMU 2020-2021 Intake

Correctiontapexx

Reaction score
Hello there, came across this forum and wanna ask what are my chances to getting into SMU this year. I submitted my application during early Jan 2020, not yet received any notification from SMU. Graduated from Temasek Poly in 2019. Applied for SMU Social Sciences. Dont have any CCA but manage to graduate with a Diploma Plus in Psychology Fundamental. My GPA is 3.55. Should I be worried?

Kind of, their 10th percentile igp is 3.66, 3.55 is abit far from that and you don’t have cca too. But no harm trying. Jiayou!

justaconcernedstudent

Reaction score
I wonder if given the current health epidemic, in future how are the universities going to conduct interviews? And also wont this affect international students applying to local unis in SG?

Saltedeggchicken

Reaction score
Cgpa 3.67

Nus business 3.73
Ntu business 3.62
Smu econs 3.69

I think i can forger about NUS but otherwise any hopee??

Plow98

Banned
Reaction score
I wonder if given the current health epidemic, in future how are the universities going to conduct interviews? And also wont this affect international students applying to local unis in SG?

Maybe a wee bit more cautious ... but life goes on. Stay cool.

Occifer&Gentleman

Reaction score
Cgpa 3.67

Nus business 3.73
Ntu business 3.62
Smu econs 3.69

I think i can forger about NUS but otherwise any hopee??

Bear in mind there are no absolute stats to show the spread from last student admitted to 10th percentile :)

Again, for discretionary / mature admissions, 2 questions need to be answered:

1. Can you survive the programme? How to quantify?

2. Why you (Among the other discretionary admissions applicants)? What's the loss/gain without you in the cohort?

Jcleng

Reaction score
Bear in mind there are no absolute stats to show the spread from last student admitted to 10th percentile :)

2. Why you (Among the other discretionary admissions applicants)? What's the loss/gain without you in the cohort?

If I am not wrong, there is no more discretionary admission from this year on. Can someone please verify?

Saltedeggchicken

Reaction score

IIRC based on the various uni websites the 10th percentile reflected in the IGP does not take in to account the students who got in via DA? Can someone correct me if I am wrong.

Occifer&Gentleman

Reaction score
IIRC based on the various uni websites the 10th percentile reflected in the IGP does not take in to account the students who got in via DA? Can someone correct me if I am wrong.

That's correct (at least for NUS) - http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/undergraduate-programmes/igp-faqs

7. Why do the grade profiles not take into account offers that were made under Aptitude Based (Discretionary) Admissions?

Since 2004, the University has introduced the Aptitude Based (Discretionary) Admissions framework where students can be offered admission based on criteria other than their academic grades. This would include, typically, special talents, leadership skills or an outstanding record of co-curricular activities and demonstrated passion/aptitude relevant to the course of study. The academic performance of students who are offered under this scheme will not be indicative of the academic requirements for admission and are, therefore, not included in the indicative grade profile of offers. From Academic Year 2017/2018, NUS may admit up to 15% of our annual intake under Aptitude Based (Discretionary) Admissions. While the admission process will remain largely the same, a higher proportion of places to consider students for Aptitude Based (Discretionary) Admissions will provide more room for the university to shortlist and admit students from more diverse background and talents.

Occifer&Gentleman

Reaction score
No more DA folks.
The Big 3 will no longer offer discretionary admissions from this year 2020.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...missions-to-shift-emphasis-away-from-academic

Taken on its face, yes, there's no more "Discretionary Admissions" per-se, but in reality, the tangible takeaways for "aptitude -based"* applicants are that:

1. Universities no longer bounded by a set percentage of students that they can choose to admit based on aptitude (i.e. previously 15% for NUS, and from this year onwards, no cap).

2. Universities continue to maintain a internal minimum academic "cut-off" for aptitude-based applicants so that they can mitigate against the undergrad not surviving the course.

3. Expect Universities to take in more applicants that fulfill the "mature applicant" criterion and also, more "based on aptitude" to meet MOE's drive for 40% of birth cohort doing undergrad and varying the pathways (i.e. move away from the mental model of doing pre-u then undergrad. Instead, why not pre-u, NS / work, then undergrad etc...)

*Looking at the write-up here - http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/undergraduate-programmes/aptitude-based-admission

The University sets aside places for consideration of candidates who demonstrate a strong interest or aptitude for the courses they have applied for. The University will consider factors besides academic grades and admit applicants on other bases, including demonstrated ability and interest, work experience, leadership, community service and exceptional talent, subject to a minimum level of academic competence.

The following are some samples of exceptional achievements that may be taken into consideration:

Medal winner at the International Olympiads (Biology, Chemistry, Informatics, Mathematics and Physics)
Represented Singapore in Arts and/or Sports
Active participation in community service and volunteer programmes
Work experience relevant to the course applied for (supporting document/s is/are required)
Key leadership positions in community organisations, sports and athletic clubs, etc (outside school)

Applicants who wish to be considered under this scheme must provide details under the 'Outstanding Achievements' section of the online application form. If you have indicated information this section, you are strongly encouraged to provide an elaboration of these activities at the ‘Essay’ portion of this section too. In addition, you may wish to discuss a special talent, a personal experience or an activity that you have been involved in that is of relevance to the course you are applying for at the university.

It should seem awfully familiar to those that have applied under DA before ;) (Hence, there's really not much of change in the baseline criterion for applicants that wish to use non-academic factors to convince the universities to admit)

Cheers :)

Occifer&Gentleman

Reaction score
Thought DA and aptitude-based admission are the same? Just that they changed name

Taken on its face, yes, there's no more "Discretionary Admissions" per-se, but in reality, the tangible takeaways for "aptitude -based"* applicants are that:

1. Universities no longer bounded by a set percentage of students that they can choose to admit based on aptitude (i.e. previously 15% for NUS, and from this year onwards, no cap).

2. Universities continue to maintain a internal minimum academic "cut-off" for aptitude-based applicants so that they can mitigate against the undergrad not surviving the course.

3. Expect Universities to take in more applicants that fulfill the "mature applicant" criterion and also, more "based on aptitude" to meet MOE's drive for 40% of birth cohort doing undergrad and varying the pathways (i.e. move away from the mental model of doing pre-u then undergrad. Instead, why not pre-u, NS / work, then undergrad etc...)

*Looking at the write-up here - http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/undergraduate-programmes/aptitude-based-admission

The University sets aside places for consideration of candidates who demonstrate a strong interest or aptitude for the courses they have applied for. The University will consider factors besides academic grades and admit applicants on other bases, including demonstrated ability and interest, work experience, leadership, community service and exceptional talent, subject to a minimum level of academic competence.

The following are some samples of exceptional achievements that may be taken into consideration:

Medal winner at the International Olympiads (Biology, Chemistry, Informatics, Mathematics and Physics)
Represented Singapore in Arts and/or Sports
Active participation in community service and volunteer programmes
Work experience relevant to the course applied for (supporting document/s is/are required)
Key leadership positions in community organisations, sports and athletic clubs, etc (outside school)

Applicants who wish to be considered under this scheme must provide details under the 'Outstanding Achievements' section of the online application form. If you have indicated information this section, you are strongly encouraged to provide an elaboration of these activities at the ‘Essay’ portion of this section too. In addition, you may wish to discuss a special talent, a personal experience or an activity that you have been involved in that is of relevance to the course you are applying for at the university.

It should seem awfully familiar to those that have applied under DA before ;) (Hence, there's really not much of change in the baseline criterion for applicants that wish to use non-academic factors to convince the universities to admit)

Cheers :)

Here you go :)

Fearah

Reaction score
I think for local university applications, once you accept an offer all other offers automatically lapsed.

You can get offers from all 6 autonomous niversities.

You can only accept one of the offers from the common MOE portal.

I would advice you to wait until all the universities have replied you.

woshichaoren98

Reaction score
You can get offers from all 6 autonomous niversities.

You can only accept one of the offers from the common MOE portal.

I would advice you to wait until all the universities have replied you.
but the deadline to accpt sutd offer is before 31 march. may be by that time, i have not gotten the offer from other uni. how? thx

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.