Home Automation Enthusiasts

KevinJT

Reaction score
Correct. If you just want a smart bulb instead of a system, select the one that doesn't require a hub. Philips hue is not the only choice.

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
Sorry I’m new to HA. My understanding is that Philips Hue will require their hub, likewise Aqara will require its own hub. So if I using both Philips and Aqara HomeKit devices I’ll need both hub, correct?

To be specific, Philips Hue is a lighting system, Aqara is a more complete HA system.
You can use Yeelight lights and not require any hub if you are comparing HUE to a Xiaomi ecosystem compatible light. But if you want to use their sensors, you will need a hub.
If you intend to use both, you need a hub that can talk to each other, IE using IFTTT or some other HA system like Home Assistant or Homey etc.. some of these do not require the xiaomi or aqara hub if they have a zigbee radio and a driver/app for it.

1 example I can give is Homey can use hue without the bridge (hue's hub) and aqara sensors. For Hue though, there is an advantage to use it's own bridge as you can maximise their entertainment API and Hue SYNC or even their disco lighting with spotify using third party apps which I personally use alot..

Last edited:

jolin90

Reaction score
Just need to pull neutral from your light point to your switches.
Add electrical points to your window area.
Get UK zwave compatible hubs, so it's easier to find zwave accessories.
Switch options, you get what you pay for. There are limitations to RF switches, some latency for wifi switches, minimal lag for zigbee and zwave. And I would say zwave is most instantaneous.
Curtain motor wise, check that the hub supports it. They may indicate that the brand is supported but to be extra sure check the models. So far on Homey, only the DT82 series dooya and aqara curtain motor is supported.

Since your EC already comes with AC installed already, if it's not a smart AC like daikin, it most probably would be the mitsubishi starmex. You will need IR blasters for them and if you want automation, some smart temperature and humidity sensors. Or just get an ambi climate for each room. Next to ask if you want to automate your home intercom? If it comes with a mobile app, which I doubt EC will have, you will need a switchbot for that.

As above, lester's blog. Using the same method with the contactor inside my isolator switch.

Thanks! Yes, finally doing renovation now and has prepared neutral for all the switches so that we can use any brands. What are you using now? You seems to know Homey well. I plan to go down to Automate Asia with hubby to check it out.

jolin90

Reaction score
1. Switches: The common ones mentioned in the thread: RF ones like Broadlink TC2 or Livolo. Zigbee: Xiaomi Aqara. The Wifi ones: Tuya based. If you are renovating, consider installing neutral wire.

2. Hub: Xiaomi besides those you mentioned. DIY: Home Assistant or openHAB. Pick the hub that is the closest match to your budget and works with all your purchased HA devices or intended purchases. The protocol support is probably you should do some reading/research into as you didn't mention anything on it.

Engage a LEW (licensed electrician) since you are not sure for the switch installation and safety comes first. Alternatively a few of the Home Automation installers companies sometimes posts here. There is also a Facebook group for home automation geeks Singapore.

Thanks! Was considering Xiaomi + Aqara but I found the switches to clicky and read very bad review about it. It is cheap definitely but keep getting an electrician down to replace (I read some only last from few months to a year plus?), I might pay more service fees on the long run?

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Yes, finally doing renovation now and has prepared neutral for all the switches so that we can use any brands. What are you using now? You seems to know Homey well. I plan to go down to Automate Asia with hubby to check it out.

Using Homey as my main hub.. Homey controlling my broadlink minis for all the bedrooms for AC and TV, and RMPro in the living to control RF fans. My lights are also integrated with Homey, mainly Hue for the whole house, some Yeelights and previously using MiLights but Gledopto has zigbee lights that can be added to hue and using those GU10 for my outdoor tracklight.

Switches are mainly MCOs for wired, and some aqara wireless switches and Hue dimmers for scenes.

Sensors probably abit too many, using Neo Coolcam zwave sensors and some Zigbee aqaras too for motion and atmos.
I think i have around 120+ devices in alexa lol..

Last edited:

monsters2009

Reaction score

Mind to PM me how much you spent for laying neutral wire for all the switches? Wanna do the same too. Thanks.

Vulpix

Reaction score
I bought too many Coolcam Z-wave light switches 1 gang, anybody wants to buy some from me? :s13: Z-Wave frequency is 868.4mhz.

tjoeshue2000

Reaction score
Hi

May I know if there is a way to automate the intercom?

Currently I need to be physically at home to answer the Intercom before the main gate can be open for visitors

Wondering if I can do that outside home

mrwirus

Reaction score
For smart switches, which brand do you all recommend more? I just went to broadlink experience store and realise they do not use neutral wires.. what is the pros and cons of that? They also told me that track light led might not work with their switches..

Im okie to do neutral cos it's a new bto.. so I want to know which is better in terms of reliability so that less maintenance is required..

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
For smart switches, which brand do you all recommend more? I just went to broadlink experience store and realise they do not use neutral wires.. what is the pros and cons of that? They also told me that track light led might not work with their switches..

Im okie to do neutral cos it's a new bto.. so I want to know which is better in terms of reliability so that less maintenance is required..

With non neutral switches, you do not get state reporting. Meaning if you turn on or off the switch via the physical switch, it will not be displayed on you app as ON state or OFF state.

Cant recommend the switches unless you have decided if you want to use a HUB like smartthings, athom homey, fibaro etc. Their protocol would dictate the type of switches available to you.

Track light uses very low wattage, and the non neutral switch requires a min load as there is current flowing through the switch to the light. So with led, the light will be on even if the switch state is off. You might need to add resistor but that is troublesome and people just use halogen track bulbs which defeats the purpose of a smart home.

Reliability wise, chinese switches are cheap but reliability is luck of the draw and they are cheap to replace. Better to go with Neutral switches as you have more options for lights and your leds will last longer although some people might argue otherwise.
That doesnt mean expensive switch may last longer though, but at least you get support from your local retailer/distributor.

Personal experience wise, I like AQARA switches too but I would avoid chinese hubs just because support outside of china is none..

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi

May I know if there is a way to automate the intercom?

Currently I need to be physically at home to answer the Intercom before the main gate can be open for visitors

Wondering if I can do that outside home

Condo? Then switchbot is the only way or some other push button bot. You can probably hack the wires of the switch through a relay but it is still one way. You can't change to a fermax set with mobile phone app version if it's a condo that doesn't have it..

If landed, then just get a video doorbell with a relay switch that can unlock the maingate..

samloi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just want to rant on the xiaomi system.
Using it in Oz on CN server. Super unreliable and laggy.

The stupid smart switch even with my router 3meters away or extender 1meter away will sometimes drop out with bad connectivity. Really regret going into the xiaomi system

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
just want to rant on the xiaomi system.
Using it in Oz on CN server. Super unreliable and laggy.

The stupid smart switch even with my router 3meters away or extender 1meter away will sometimes drop out with bad connectivity. Really regret going into the xiaomi system

Did you check if your 2.4ghz wifi channel is too close to the Zigbee channel?

samloi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Did you check if your 2.4ghz wifi channel is too close to the Zigbee channel?

using the wifi version of the switch.....:(
My samusng is showing full bar with the 2.4ghz, 5ghz at 4bar in the same spot with the switch. My guess is xiaomi used an super duper crappy wifi card inside the switch to cut cost. I would have paid an extra 5bucks for a better wifi.

My idea was to double check that i turn off the heater while away during winter. With the lag and instability, i think its better to not use it at all. You cant really know if the switch is on/off at all due to the lag and perhaps lost connection.

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
using the wifi version of the switch.....:(
My samusng is showing full bar with the 2.4ghz, 5ghz at 4bar in the same spot with the switch. My guess is xiaomi used an super duper crappy wifi card inside the switch to cut cost. I would have paid an extra 5bucks for a better wifi.

My idea was to double check that i turn off the heater while away during winter. With the lag and instability, i think its better to not use it at all. You cant really know if the switch is on/off at all due to the lag and perhaps lost connection.

Wifi switches is hit and miss depending on where your AP is located.
If your switch is recess into a pattree box in the wall that has a metal cage, even worse.
With zigbee or zwave switch also same, there is a limit to the distance it can received but at least there is built in mesh that extends the range. For WIFI, it needs to be able to reach your wireless AP unfortunately and my guess is the 2.4 cant get reliable signal. My xiaomi note 4 phone's wifi also sux when side by side with my iphone so...

samloi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wifi switches is hit and miss depending on where your AP is located.
If your switch is recess into a pattree box in the wall that has a metal cage, even worse.
With zigbee or zwave switch also same, there is a limit to the distance it can received but at least there is built in mesh that extends the range. For WIFI, it needs to be able to reach your wireless AP unfortunately and my guess is the 2.4 cant get reliable signal. My xiaomi note 4 phone's wifi also sux when side by side with my iphone so...

Its 3 meters from my AC68U.....
The other one is 1 meter away....

By the way, had anyone managed to get mi home to sync with Google? I tried to sync but nothing shows up in Google home. Could it be because my Xiaomi is set to china server?

samloi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i give up on Xiaomi system liao. CN server is just not stable if you are out of CN.......humidifier, wifi plug,wifi repeater, xiao ai, rice cooker, temp sensor is all wonky. Only the ip camera is stable

ok. For some reason, it works perfectly in the middle of the night. I guess its the CN server being overload during hte day time

Last edited:

Alwaysb

Reaction score
Hi all, i need help. I am starting my wiring on monday. I will be using aqara zigbee switches, so will be pulling netural wire.

At the start of my staircase, my electrician suggested a 2 way switch to control lights on 2nd floor and one for living room.

I thought i could use the aqara switch to do the job instead. Likewise for my carporch where i can set on/off timing of the lights instead of using sensor lights.

Is there any special instruction i have to tell my electrician for the "2 way" switch at staircase?

I was told by someone to plan for spare switch to control other areas. How does this part works? I thought every switch must connect to whichever lighting pointing we want to control

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.