2020 market expectations and positioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okenba

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
some people prefer to buy when its 52wk high. I prefer to buy when its 52wk low! :s13:

i'm still cautious about SG and my focus is still on foreign shares. Bought my monthly VHYD last nite before US market opened and chionged.

Its inevitable that SG earnings will be affected, but maybe shares like Sembcorp at 52wk low might have more margin of safety than REITs in this environment.

Curious. How long have you been buying VHYD and have you been satisfied with the results? Any comparison to VWRA?

netzach

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
some people prefer to buy when its 52wk high. I prefer to buy when its 52wk low! :s13:

i'm still cautious about SG and my focus is still on foreign shares. Bought my monthly VHYD last nite before US market opened and chionged.

Its inevitable that SG earnings will be affected, but maybe shares like Sembcorp at 52wk low might have more margin of safety than REITs in this environment.

Oic... ya quite Low Liao ... SIA 10 year low also lo.

Play breakout trading mah... like Jesse Livermore Lol 😂

REITs is definitely too high already, over heated.

Would rather go for banks to be safer bmw. :s12:

Trader11

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Difference between Academics and risk takers / traders

Academic: I wait for scientific paper to confirm that this is true.

Trader: Once it is "confirmed", it is too late. Most of the important payoffs happen before things are "confirmed"

Trader11

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oic... ya quite Low Liao ... SIA 10 year low also lo.

Play breakout trading mah... like Jesse Livermore Lol 😂

REITs is definitely too high already, over heated.

Would rather go for banks to be safer bmw. :s12:

SIA is stucked at range for 10 years. Really reflect what Singapore economy is doing for last ten years. STI is a mirror of what we are today

d9_lives

Reaction score
It is so great to be working. If you notice every year as your networth increases, what was considered as high allocation few years back now becomes small allocation, in percentage terms. So your initial allocation will always become more and more conservative, as years pass by, if you don't allocate more. So we have this natural hedge while we are working. So we should just relax and stop watching the markets and focus on other interesting things. Markets are very addictive, but it is detrimental to our networth. The best returns are made by people who don't even know what is going on in the market.

I wish I can find another hobby and forget about markets.

You too, welcome to the club. 😄
At your age, you can try golfing.
Cycling is fun too.
You'll spend hours in researching.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You too, welcome to the club. 😄
At your age, you can try golfing.
Cycling is fun too.
You'll spend hours in researching.

I used ride a motorcycle here in Singapore and was part of Singapore bike forum. We went for meetups and long rides to Malaysia also. Then I sold my bike after my office moved from Changi to the city. Now COE is too high already to buy a motorcycle. Maybe I should buy a bike again. Now my daughter is 8, when she turn 10, I can pillion her to school, lol.

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Curious. How long have you been buying VHYD and have you been satisfied with the results? Any comparison to VWRA?

I have been regularly investing in WQDV for a few years because dividend ETFs will underweight tech and I'm scared of tech valuations (healthcare is no.1 sector for WQDV), unfortunately it underperformed IWDA in 2019, returning only 22%+ vs IWDA 25%+

I decided this year to start investing in its Vanguard counterpart as well this year.

ashethen

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on Singpost?

from a consumer pov, they are lousy, unreliable and expensive.

lousy and unreliable because there's many cases of lost mail & phantom postman.

expensive because shipping overseas is cheaper using Qxpress and domestic shipping have too much competition from local couriers with better service and lower cost

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bought a little DBS today.

apart from revhappy who has bought STI ETF, nobody in this thread buying? =:p

Okenba

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have been regularly investing in WQDV for a few years because dividend ETFs will underweight tech and I'm scared of tech valuations (healthcare is no.1 sector for WQDV), unfortunately it underperformed IWDA in 2019, returning only 22%+ vs IWDA 25%+

I decided this year to start investing in its Vanguard counterpart as well this year.

Thanks for sharing. I was contemplating the Vanguard equivalent but held off because of performance and higher fees. The ER is not that big a difference, but when you account for dividend withholding tax, VHYD is harder hit because of its higher dividends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.