2020 market expectations and positioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
STI ex dividend is now already above what it was pre ex dividend. So even before the payout, the price has already recovered. This is the best part of dividend investing. If you are looking for safe and slightly better than bond type returns, then such high dividend instruments are like a middle road of safe Vs high risk. I won't wait for STI to go below 3, because even at current price it takes only 2 years of dividends to compensate for a fall from current price to 3. So people will see through that and won't sell it to you for 3.

Last edited:

MrHighlander

Master Member
Reaction score
I agree with that

Market can stay crazy longer than you can stay solvent

Stock market is irrational. What you think may be value for money may crash, what you think is overpriced may raise. It's better to learn how to manage risk and hedge than to sit on the side

Posted from PCWX using SM-N960F

MrHighlander

Master Member
Reaction score
STI is a good investment

Not terribly exciting but at least you know it’s safe and reliable

STI ex dividend is now already above what it was pre ex dividend. So even before the payout, the price has already recovered. This is the best part of dividend investing. If you are looking for safe and slightly better than bond type returns, then such high dividend instruments are like a middle road of safe Vs high risk. I won't wait for STI to go below 3, because even at current price it takes only 2 years of dividends to compensate for a fall from current price to 3. So people will see through that and won't sell it to you for 3.

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I felt there was a narrow window for it to fall below $3. I think the window has passed for now.

This month, the SG shares I bought were Sembcorp, DBS, Comfort Delgro, and Frasers H.Trust. Still keeping warchest for STI ETF.

Whether the stock market go up or down, I'm more worried about REIT earnings because dividend (and debt servicing) is paid from earnings. Earnings are certainly not going to go up in the short term, question is how much down?

MrHighlander

Master Member
Reaction score
I wanted to buy Sembcorp

Only if it hits 1.95

I wanted to buy DBS

Only if it hits 24.5

I wanted to buy STI ETF

Only if it goes below 3050

If only lol

I felt there was a narrow window for it to fall below $3. I think the window has passed for now.

This month, the SG shares I bought were Sembcorp, DBS, Comfort Delgro, and Frasers H.Trust. Still keeping warchest for STI ETF.

Whether the stock market go up or down, I'm more worried about REIT earnings because dividend (and debt servicing) is paid from earnings. Earnings are certainly not going to go up in the short term, question is how much down?

addict951

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
MSFT vestors, 请问got any news ar?
How come the stock price retreating the past 2 days after touching 一发发?
Is it just a TA thing or got underlying news that mayb we dun know yet? :look?:

d9_lives

Reaction score
I wanted to buy Sembcorp

Only if it hits 1.95

I wanted to buy DBS

Only if it hits 24.5

I wanted to buy STI ETF

Only if it goes below 3050

If only lol

wait for -5% but might miss >+5% gain?
I don't understand this logic but I wish you good luck.
Btw I remember you said you're waiting for -20%.

polyglob

Reaction score
Time in market vs timing the market

Highlander should also read up on anchoring. Those prices that he quoted - my guess is that they are not based on his fundamental analysis but rather just him anchoring to some price at some point in time, and then applying a discount to that price.

polyglob

Reaction score

Last night 0.15% up. Are you trading off hours?

ashethen

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Don't see any news leh. I think traders taking profit. There's a drop in momentum

Posted from PCWX using SM-N960F

decibel.

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Companies have been spending money on either helping the virus situation or maintaining stock price. Eventually might affect their cash flow.

Sent from HUAWEI VOG-L29 using GAGT

Trader11

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The reality is hitting the market. The Wuhan virus is getting worse and not improving

DukeCS33

Reaction score
dun worry, repo liquidity will lift the market.

Posted from PCWX using Redmi K20 Pro

I do not share your confidence. Liquidity can only do so much but when the rising virus infections grab attention, everyone would stampede out. Somehow, I do not share the optimism that when the virus dies down come summer, everything would be ok again. And I guess that's the main reason for the dip buyers. I think the corporate warnings of supply disruption may be a factor for a deeper and more prolonged correction.
The tricky part is that when a liquidity fueled dip buyers ignore the rising infections, it gets harder to pick a turning point especially when the US is not the epic centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.