5.1 atmos setup

Amon86

Reaction score
Don't forget to add ac infinity T10 (front exhaust) or T8 (rear exhaust) or T9 (top exhaust) cooling fan system to keep your av receiver healthy and performing well. Heat is bad for electronics. Price is about $229. Ordered mine from Lazada. Local dealer fast delivery. Wish I got it before I got my receiver and subjected it to such heat for months.

Wa....i didn't brought those as i think aircon should be good enough i on my aircon whenever my system were on....my previous SR7007 used 6 years sold it with no issue buyer was happy about it as i mainly will vaccum the dust on top cover.......

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks but this is deviating from the subject. I am more interested in the system and not in a cooling solution. Plus, I am sure I can get a pretty cheap and dirty solution for that on AliExpress, If I choose to.

I don’t think u are interested in the proposal from ppl here. If u set in doing what you want. I think we can close the thread. If you have question I am not find it for ppl to to comment and help.

Many ppl asking u to do the following
- spend within budget for 2 speakers
- get used setup
- invest in better 5.1 setup if u must want small foot print
- test things out to make sure what u getting into with small foot print.

Did I miss anything here?

mulderfox

Reaction score
I don’t think u are interested in the proposal from ppl here. If u set in doing what you want. I think we can close the thread. If you have question I am not find it for ppl to to comment and help.

- get used setup

I am considering used setup. but if I take, for instance, the Wharfedale DX-2 set, it'll be within budget and still give me a surround solution.
Offering a 2 speakers setup misses the purpose for me.
Going over budget is not really an option since this is meant for a move to a new HDB so there will be plenty of expenses.
I am thankful for relevant suggestions - as in, within budget, and according to my requested guidelines.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Ok just in case u dunno... lazada price of good enough bookshelf speaker is about $299 per pair. We are talking about whathifi 5star options like q acoustics 3020 or wharfedale diamond 220/225. Subwoofer options include wharfedale wh-s8e ($199) or wh-s10e ($299). Actually these days with the very cheap prices listed online, its quite pointless to buy 2nd hand. please check prices online first.

Bookshelf speakers enjoy better economy of scale because majority of people buy them. You can see that from the number of reviews across major publications and websites. If you buy satellite speakers, you wont enjoy much savings but will suffer alot in sound quality. You will want to get at least Left, Right and Center speakers in bookshelf size. If you die die want to get satellites u can use them for the rear surrounds. But the economy of scale for bookshelf speakers means u can get same bookshelf for rears also.

Seriously lah. Hope my longwinded explanation can help you understand better. Bundle prices for 5.1 satelllites are not that much cheaper anyway if you check the real prices of popular bookshelf speakers these days.

Also why you wanna get marantz av receiver if u are only going to use with satellite speakers? I only upgraded my av receiver to denon X3600 because i thought my mission lx2 speakers were a little fussy with power. I am not expert so not sure. But i think receiver should match speaker choice.

K... thats all i have to say.

Last edited:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am considering used setup. but if I take, for instance, the Wharfedale DX-2 set, it'll be within budget and still give me a surround solution.
Offering a 2 speakers setup misses the purpose for me.
Going over budget is not really an option since this is meant for a move to a new HDB so there will be plenty of expenses.
I am thankful for relevant suggestions - as in, within budget, and according to my requested guidelines.

Are u reading what ppl here say on 2 speaker option?
Yes it may not fit your need here but over time u can achieve your wants.
It is not a must have to get 5.1.2 on day 1. Ppl have gone thru their phase of buying cheap and upgrade and is warning u of it
If u the type will never upgrade, no issue.

If u want a lot of movies and love the cinema effect, a cheap 5.1.2 cannot u you the experience

mulderfox

Reaction score
Ok just in case u dunno... lazada price of good enough bookshelf speaker is about $299 per pair. We are talking about whathifi 5star options like q acoustics 3020 or wharfedale diamond 220/225. Subwoofer options include wharfedale wh-s8e ($199) or wh-s10e ($299). Actually these days with the very cheap prices listed online, its quite pointless to buy 2nd hand. please check prices online first.

Bookshelf speakers enjoy better economy of scale because majority of people buy them. You can see that from the number of reviews across major publications and websites. If you buy satellite speakers, you wont enjoy much savings but will suffer alot in sound quality. You will want to get at least Left, Right and Center speakers in bookshelf size. If you die die want to get satellites u can use them for the rear surrounds. But the economy of scale for bookshelf speakers means u can get same bookshelf for rears also.

Seriously lah. Hope my longwinded explanation can help you understand better. Bundle prices for 5.1 satelllites are not that much cheaper anyway if you check the real prices of popular bookshelf speakers these days.

Also why you wanna get marantz av receiver if u are only going to use with satellite speakers? I only upgraded my av receiver to denon X3600 because i thought my mission lx2 speakers were a little fussy with power. I am not expert so not sure. But i think receiver should match speaker choice.

K... thats all i have to say.
Thanks for the advice. It does make me think. But I will still want to stay around my budget. If I can find a used 5.1 speaker set that keeps me there with bookshelf pieces, I'll definitely consider it.
As for the Receiver - You got it backwards. A receiver is the piece you rather not replace. It doesn't retain value second hand as well as speakers, and it is technology dependent (usually, unless it's modular and very expensive) so it becomes obsolete over time. Speakers on the other hand stay mostly the same. So I would prefer to buy a good, powerful receiver which I won't have to replace or upgrade soon and that I will be able to grow with by adding more speakers, or replacing speakers (that's more of a modular approach) over time.

mulderfox

Reaction score
It is not a must have to get 5.1.2 on day 1. Ppl have gone thru their phase of buying cheap and upgrade and is warning u of it

If u want a lot of movies and love the cinema effect, a cheap 5.1.2 cannot u you the experience

As I said before - I will start with 5.1, but I will get surround since my main use is home cinema, not music. 2.0, 2.1, soundbar or anything similar won't get me that properly. Believe me, I will take a good name set and not a sticker product. Even if it means I need to buy used.

mulderfox

Reaction score

- get used setup

Let me clarify what I opened this thread for:
I am looking for recommendations for AV receiver in the 1000+ (upto 1300) range with 9.2Ch capabilities and Atmos/DTS:X support.
I am also looking for recommendations for 5.1/5.1.2 sets - preferably from people who actually use them, and that are in the 600-1000 price range. I know there are branded new sets such as these and which even get good reviews.
My budget is 2000 s$, but it is slightly flexible. maybe upto 2200-2400 s$. But no more. I know this is doable. I am just asking for recommendations from people who have experienced this kind of sets.

Last edited:

Amon86

Reaction score

Bro let TS be....he didn't understand the important of L/R channel as most of the sound will be focus there and a good centre channel....if one will to make a good home theatre L/R channel must get a very good one that's why i say is crucial for a good 2.0 before going for multi-channel as the rest are just ambient sounds except for centre channel where all vocal were there.....

reno77

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Here you go..I think I found one in your price bracket.. SG$750 with shipping..

https://www.amazon.com/Kardon-Chann...09-20&linkId=d336b3f8ee906829a6015f3584b5fd0e

But actually, I'd go with larger 5-6 inch driver speakers instead of the 3 inch found in satellites. 3 inch speakers cut off at around 100hz.. 5 inch can go to 75hz. This makes the low end more defined. So when there's gunshots and drums you can hear them coming from the speakers instead of the subwoofer only.

For me I got lucky on carousell.. Managed to get 5 focal sibs for $250, a Yamaha slim subwoofer (yst-fsw150) for $150 and for atmos 2 x Sony ss-sr35 for $30. So yes a 5.1.2 under $800 is possible but need good timing.. Usually Dec when ppl get bonus and upgrade :)

Last edited:

mulderfox

Reaction score

https://www.amazon.com/Kardon-Chann...09-20&linkId=d336b3f8ee906829a6015f3584b5fd0e

But actually, I'd go with larger 5-6 inch driver speakers instead of the 3 inch found in satellites. 3 inch speakers cut off at around 100hz.. 5 inch can go to 75hz. This makes the low end more defined.

For me I got lucky on carousell.. Managed to get 5 focal sibs for $250, a Yamaha slim subwoofer (yst-fsw150) for $150 and for atmos 2 x Sony ss-sr35 for $30. So yes a 5.1.2 under $800 is possible but need good timing.. Usually Dec when ppl get bonus and upgrade :)

Thanks for the helpful advice.

mulderfox

Reaction score

But actually, I'd go with larger 5-6 inch driver speakers instead of the 3 inch found in satellites. 3 inch speakers cut off at around 100hz.. 5 inch can go to 75hz. This makes the low end more defined.

Between these two, you'd lean towards the Crystal 4 system?

1. Wharfedale DX-2:
https://www.lazada.sg/products/wharfedale-dx-2-51-black-i283927053-s453078472.html?search=1
2. Wharfedale Crystal 4:
https://www.lazada.sg/products/whar...hlistcategory.list.30.52a264e9BCzWTt&search=1

The DX-2 set gets pretty good reviews. Also, if I get the Crystal 4 system, I will need to add a sub-woofer since one is not included.

Last edited:

reno77

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Between these two, you'd lean towards the Crystal 4 system?

1. Wharfedale DX-2:
https://www.lazada.sg/products/wharfedale-dx-2-51-black-i283927053-s453078472.html?search=1
2. Wharfedale Crystal 4:
https://www.lazada.sg/products/whar...hlistcategory.list.30.52a264e9BCzWTt&search=1

The DX-2 set gets pretty good reviews. Also, if I get the Crystal 4 system, I will need to add a sub-woofer since one is not included.

Definitely the crystal 4 is better. They have tower speakers that go down to 50hz.

The dx-2 goes down to 40hz but needs a sub.. Its L&R can only go to 120hz.

You can go without sub on the crystal 4 .. Save up your money and get a sub that can go down to 20hz later.. Should have a few 2nd hand now and then in xtremeplace/carousell.

mulderfox

Reaction score
Definitely the crystal 4 is better. They have tower speakers that go down to 50hz.

The dx-2 goes down to 40hz but needs a sub.. Its L&R can only go to 120hz.

You can go without sub on the crystal 4 .. Save up your money and get a sub that can go down to 20hz later.. Should have a few 2nd hand now and then in xtremeplace/carousell.

The DX-2 system includes a sub:
SUBWOOFER
Bass Driver 8” (200mm) long-throw cone
Frequency Response 40 - 120Hz ±3dB
Amplifier Power Output 70W
Crossover Range 40 - 150Hz
Inputs Stereo line In (2 x RCA phono),
mono (LFE), line In (RCA phono)
Input Impedance Line in 10kΩ LFE 5kΩ
Features Low pass filter slope adjustment
Phase inversion
Auto on-off
Dimensions (298+30) x 268 x (300+22) mm ( h x w x d )
Net Weight 7.8kg

reno77

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The DX-2 system includes a sub:
SUBWOOFER
Bass Driver 8” (200mm) long-throw cone
Frequency Response 40 - 120Hz ±3dB
Amplifier Power Output 70W
Crossover Range 40 - 150Hz
Inputs Stereo line In (2 x RCA phono),
mono (LFE), line In (RCA phono)
Input Impedance Line in 10kΩ LFE 5kΩ
Features Low pass filter slope adjustment
Phase inversion
Auto on-off
Dimensions (298+30) x 268 x (300+22) mm ( h x w x d )
Net Weight 7.8kg

Yes.. I meant it can go to 40hz with the sub.. The satellite speakers alone go to only 120hz for L&R and 80hz for center.

congster2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have you renovated? If not, do remember to run your wires first, eg under flooring etc. speakers and network cables. Overkill is often better. Might even want to lay for 5.1.4 even as u use 5.1.2 first.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Think dx2 set is probably wisest choice for him so far. For receiver can also consider denon x3600 which can do 5.2.4 with 9 channels driven and 11 channels processing. Very good reviews. Mulderfox if u wanna hear how it sounds can come visit me at my flat heheh. PM me.

Oh with x3600 and dx2, if u upgrade to bookshelf speakers in future, maybe can move the 4 dx2 speakers to the ceiling for good atmos implementation.

Last edited:

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Wa....i didn't brought those as i think aircon should be good enough i on my aircon whenever my system were on....my previous SR7007 used 6 years sold it with no issue buyer was happy about it as i mainly will vaccum the dust on top cover.......

My hdb flat living room has no aircon so my receiver runs very hot sometimes. Makes me worry. So this cooling fan really gives me peace of mind and allows me to push my receiver without worrying at all. I really recommend it to all since we live in hot weathered country. To be honest I also think my system now sounds better and more consistent now that it is running consistently cooler.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.