2020 market expectations and positioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
DOD wants to use microsoft but amazon want to insist that DOD reconsider and use them... it's a joke really
The court doesn't think it's a joke since it granted Amazon's request for a temporary restraining order.

coolhead

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
SSE back to yesterday's high after a more accurate wuhan figure was reported. situation back to normal guys.

Posted from PCWX using Redmi K20 Pro

d9_lives

Reaction score
The way the US market is behaving, it appears it was well on its way to rip up to S&P 4000 level, this virus has put some breaks, but there is no downside yet. Some people are trying to predict the top and short. This gives even more energy for the bulls.

If you are not allocated at all to markets you are going to be very disappointed. I think still there is time to get into markets. This virus thing will die off soon and the all that latent energy will push up all indices like crazy, we could have a year like 2017, very soon.

You're scaring me 😮

Trader11

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The way the US market is behaving, it appears it was well on its way to rip up to S&P 4000 level, this virus has put some breaks, but there is no downside yet. Some people are trying to predict the top and short. This gives even more energy for the bulls.

If you are not allocated at all to markets you are going to be very disappointed. I think still there is time to get into markets. This virus thing will die off soon and the all that latent energy will push up all indices like crazy, we could have a year like 2017, very soon.

Bear turning bullish... Be careful now

decibel.

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well if you work in bigger companies you would have realized companies are actively cancelling events, which potentially lose millions on the table in overall preparation. Sales outlook are also affected due to the virus. Further correction is expected. Most government already did the math and issue statements about their economy already.

Sent from HUAWEI VOG-L29 using GAGT

Okenba

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well if you work in bigger companies you would have realized companies are actively cancelling events, which potentially lose millions on the table in overall preparation. Sales outlook are also affected due to the virus. Further correction is expected. Most government already did the math and issue statements about their economy already.

The west hasn't quite got the memo yet, but UK already taking steps. The rest of Europe, and then US, should not be far behind.

Newbyib

Reaction score
How's it during the 2003 SARS?
Let me share 1 article from my favourite blogger.

https://www.financialsamurai.com/important-details-investors-should-know-about-the-coronavirus/

Let me know your thought.
There are a few things that have changed since.
Central banks have been more aggressive in preventing a market rout with liquidity injection.
The market structure ie composition of the market participants have changed for eg Singapore and China.
So not every time is a repeat of history.
My thoughts.

decibel.

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The west hasn't quite got the memo yet, but UK already taking steps. The rest of Europe, and then US, should not be far behind.
Certainly and eventually. Several events around the globe have either been postponed until further notice or cancelled totally. Most that have not been made official will not be releasing statements since the invites are not sent. Asia and EU would be taking the heat first followed by US.

How's it during the 2003 SARS?
Let me share 1 article from my favourite blogger.

https://www.financialsamurai.com/important-details-investors-should-know-about-the-coronavirus/

Let me know your thought.
Nice analysis. Just a few notes: you shouldn't be looking purely at fatality rate. Yes it's low but that doesn't change the fact that with more cases requiring medical attention it will eventually exhaust your medical infrastructure leading to manpower issues and in general, shortage of resources to attend to such cases.

Also, pay attention to those countries with aging population. These are cities where healthcare is almost stressed out everyday even without the virus outbreak. There's a reason why in Singapore, authorities have to look for other buildings to use for quarantine purposes because there just isn't enough isolation wards. Talk to those who work on the ground, they know the actual situation better than what's reported.

But overall it depends on how the government is handling the matter. If your government is decisive and able to instill trust in the people, that's great but if not, Singapore panic buying is one good example of losing trust.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I mentioned this a lot of times.

For those who are timing the market or doing active investment, you should invest in some stocks and keep some cash.

Don't try to be at the extreme ends with 100% cash or 100% invested.

If you are doing passive investment, just continue with the monthly purchase.

Trader11

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I mentioned this a lot of times.

For those who are timing the market or doing active investment, you should invest in some stocks and keep some cash.

Don't try to be at the extreme ends with 100% cash or 100% invested.

If you are doing passive investment, just continue with the monthly purchase.

For a start, what do you recommend for cash:equities ratio?

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Active management

If you are starting, just increase your equity portion in the next few months.

Increase until a level you are comfortable and can still sleep well at nights without being worried too much about your money.

Taking the middle (50:50) approach is good.

Thoreldan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How about passive dca ?
What's the recommended ratio ?

Other than my 6 mths expenses.
I have no cash, all invested.

Could i be investing too much each mth ?

Last edited:

d9_lives

Reaction score
How about passive dca ?

Check your paper gain. Is it too much? 😁
I am investing most of my cash too.

Trader11

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you are starting, just increase your equity portion in the next few months.

Increase until a level you are comfortable and can still sleep well at nights without being worried too much about your money.

Taking the middle (50:50) approach is good.

I guess depend on capital size? If it is small, then start from 90%. So when you start saving up your salary, the ratio will decrease

Okenba

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How about passive dca ?

There are two things I can think of to consider about whether or not you are investing too much.

1) Too much risk? Would you panic sell if a major crash comes and your stocks drop by 50%?

2) Preparing a warchest? If a major crash comes and you don't panic, do you have extra cash to buy more stocks while prices are low?

Both are addressed by an appropriate asset allocation.
Some amount of bonds means that not all your assets will crash by 50% if the stock market crashes.
Some amount of bonds means that you have something to sell at a higher price so that you can buy more stocks at a lower price even if you don't have much cash on hand.

This is why some people say that asset allocation is the most important aspect of investing.

Thoreldan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There are two things I can think of to consider about whether or not you are investing too much.

1) Too much risk? Would you panic sell if a major crash comes and your stocks drop by 50%?

2) Preparing a warchest? If a major crash comes and you don't panic, do you have extra cash to buy more stocks while prices are low?

Both are addressed by an appropriate asset allocation.
Some amount of bonds means that not all your assets will crash by 50% if the stock market crashes.
Some amount of bonds means that you have something to sell at a higher price so that you can buy more stocks at a lower price even if you don't have much cash on hand.

This is why some people say that asset allocation is the most important aspect of investing.

thanks for answering:
1) I wont panic sell, my horizon is another 15-20 yrs. I'm doing ETF, I doubt all the 1000+ odd companies in MSCI world will fold their business.
2) not intending to do warchest. Will continue to dca instead.

but again i treat cpf as bond, so i cant sell my 'bond' :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.