Owner vs Occupier in BTO

Pokémon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A question to the thread-starter,

is yourself or spouse hiding something which HDB should not know?

I do not think this is the correct question to ask. There is nothing to hide to start with. If essential occupier is not even necessary for TS' case, this question will be of no concern.

You had given a strong impression that you do not want to add in your foreigner spouse + child (I assume spore citizen maybe? ) , why is this so?

Other than the fact your spouse may have a pte property in their own country (which you may think your BTO may be rejected) , I dont see any compelling reason for u not to add them as occupier.

Even if the foreign spouse owns 10 private properties, it is not going to affect anything. To start with, and I am sounding like a broken recorder already, it is not necessary to add, so I do not see the need to give any reason.

If the future spouse already owns a private property, the more the name should not be added.

Basically , I find it weird u don't trust HDB words, but put strong faith with strangers on forum?

It is weird, but I can only say, probably 9 out of 10 HDB officers do not know it right on this subject matter... However, probably 9 out of 10 people do not know much about this either, and therefore could not put across their questions to the HDB officers correctly and it becomes a chicken question and a duck answer. :s22:

Vann23

Reaction score

You had given a strong impression that you do not want to add in your foreigner spouse + child (I assume spore citizen maybe? ) , why is this so?

Other than the fact your spouse may have a pte property in their own country (which you may think your BTO may be rejected) , I dont see any compelling reason for u not to add them as occupier.

There are many facets to your questions (different scenarios playing in my mind ) .

Why don't you tell us the reason and we can properly advise you.

Basically , I find it weird u don't trust HDB words, but put strong faith with strangers on forum?

I deal with many HDB sales/purchase involving foreigner spouse before.
A point to note, no matter at what stage you gotten married ( before apply BTO, after apply bto, before get keys to BTO, after get keys to bto), as long at the point of time you are married (when selling the unit), your spouse (doesn't matter he/she is occupier or not in the flat), will have to give written consent on the sale of the flat.

Woman's charter is pretty strong in spore, and a wife can still get pretty much get something out of the flat (even though she isn't an occupier, but still a spouse).

you can write here, or send me a pm msg.

-vinz

My main concern here is to have total control of selling or buying of a property.
What will happen to my property if we divorced within the MOP period? Property dissolved and split?

8zaoyu

Reaction score

There are many facets to your questions (different scenarios playing in my mind ) .

Why don't you tell us the reason and we can properly advise you.

I deal with many HDB sales/purchase involving foreigner spouse before.
A point to note, no matter at what stage you gotten married ( before apply BTO, after apply bto, before get keys to BTO, after get keys to bto), as long at the point of time you are married (when selling the unit), your spouse (doesn't matter he/she is occupier or not in the flat), will have to give written consent on the sale of the flat.

Woman's charter is pretty strong in spore, and a wife can still get pretty much get something out of the flat (even though she isn't an occupier, but still a spouse).

you can write here, or send me a pm msg.

-vinz
Don't worry Vinz,for the idiot Emperor Vann, nobody will build properties for him as and when commanded and divorced as many concubines as he wishes nowadays. It is still a HE world at workplace but a SHE world in the backroom.

Vann23

Reaction score
Don't worry Vinz,for the idiot Emperor Vann, nobody will build properties for him as and when commanded and divorced as many concubines as he wishes nowadays. It is still a HE world at workplace but a SHE world in the backroom.

This is one important factor to consider whether to get married before or after purchasing a property. Not about being to be an emperor.

Pokémon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My main concern here is to have total control of selling or buying of a property.
What will happen to my property if we divorced within the MOP period? Property dissolved and split?

It is best you check with HDB on this, or even seek advice from a lawyer.

To me, men are always on the loosing end coming to a divorce. Although the flat may be under his name, but he would likely still have to split the share with the (ex) wife. The court will decide.

By the way, what makes you think that HDB will not know of your marital status?

vinz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
precisely why i need to know your objective, so pls take note of this important point,

whether your foreigner spouse is an essential occupier or not, approval and acknowledgement from her is needed when u decide to sell the unit. (she must go to hdb branch office to sign some documents)

Of cos there is someone here who is so adamant that u don't need to add your foreigner spouse, and think that is the end of the story. That is why I ask u the main reason why u are asking those questions.
What will happen to my property if we divorced within the MOP period? Property dissolved and split
as u are able to own this unit under single scheme, u can retain the property and nothing will happen to it.

If spouse want a spilt of the property, she can still get something if its over 5yrs and its a matrimonial flat. Need to put everything clearly in divorce paper.

-vinz

Last edited:

Vann23

Reaction score
It is best you check with HDB on this, or even seek advice from a lawyer.

To me, men are always on the loosing end coming to a divorce. Although the flat may be under his name, but he would likely still have to split the share with the (ex) wife. The court will decide.

By the way, what makes you think that HDB will not know of your marital status?

Because my intitial thought was being an occupier had little or nothing to do with matrimonial assets but i was wrong.
Hdb told me they will not know marital status unless they purposely check which is when there is selling or buying transaction.

Vann23

Reaction score
precisely why i need to know your objective, so pls take note of this important point,

whether your foreigner spouse is an essential occupier or not, approval and acknowledgement from her is needed when u decide to sell the unit. (she must go to hdb branch office to sign some documents)

Of cos there is someone here who is so adamant that u don't need to add your foreigner spouse, and think that is the end of the story. That is why I ask u the main reason why u are asking those questions.as u are able to own this unit under single scheme, u can retain the property and nothing will happen to it.

If spouse want a spilt of the property, she can still get something if its over 5yrs and its a matrimonial flat. Need to put everything clearly in divorce paper.

-vinz

From what i understand, any property u bought after marriage is consider matrimonial, even if its just your name. I need to double check again.

vinz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Even if u buy the hdb today as a sole owner, and get married two yrs later, the hdb will be considered your matrimonial flat (unless u can proof none of you stays there at all).

Thus before or after marriage, makes no diff.

Vann23

Reaction score
Even if u buy the hdb today as a sole owner, and get married two yrs later, the hdb will be considered your matrimonial flat (unless u can proof none of you stays there at all).

Thus before or after marriage, makes no diff.

If a prenupt agreement is drafted before marriage, then you are protected. But this agreement will not protect you things you bought after marriage.

vinz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Take note hdb play by a different sets of rule. And woman charter is very strong in Singapore.

I believe you already gotten most of your answers already.

Good luck in your home purchase and marriage.

Last edited:

Duncallmebro

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If a prenupt agreement is drafted before marriage, then you are protected. But this agreement will not protect you things you bought after marriage.

I'm not sure a pre-nub is valid in Singapore?

Skypower

Reaction score
Is the owner able to sell off the HDB if the essential occupier objects the sales after staying there for >5 yrs

vinz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If a spouse (usually foreigner and essential occupier), the sporean owner will need their approval before hdb will allow sales to go through. Irregardless MOP over or not.

As most hdb are matrimonial home, hdb won't want 1 spouse to sell house and leave the other homeless.

-vinz

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.