View Single Post
Old 16-02-2020, 03:11 PM   #1777
lemniscate

OK. On a F-1 you won’t be subject to the U.S. tax system except for your U.S. income, and as long as too much time hasn’t passed. Nonetheless, you may still wish to make your assets “U.S. tax friendly” before flying to the U.S. in case you decide to stay longer (perhaps a lifetime?) and assuming you’re allowed to do that.

Look for my recent post in answer to a prospective J-1 visa holder since those rules and opportunities are pretty similar.
Thanks, I'll look at your recent posts.

I'm still reading on the details of the different visas, but ultimately I would definitely like to get a few years of relevant working experience over there - and I'm not opposed to the idea of staying for a long time. So yes I'd like to make my assets US tax friendly as you've put it, rather than having to worry about it later on when I actually convert to an H-1B or even other visas.

Edit: I appreciate the advice on setting a financial footprint in the US (US bank accounts, credit cards), that's what I plan to do. I might also use IB to transfer my tuition and living cost as it's quite a bit cheaper than other options (SGD from SG bank > SGD in IB > USD in IB > USD to US bank, after I open an account there).

If I understand correctly, I won't need to do anything to my IWDA/EIMI portfolio while I'm on F-1, and I should use the available plans (e.g. 401(k)) with tax advantages when I do start working in the US?

Last edited by lemniscate; 16-02-2020 at 03:55 PM..
lemniscate is offline   Reply With Quote