Samsung Galaxy S20: News and Discussions

chooyoshi

Reaction score
Samsung doesn't need to care about SG market tbh. Huawei is already half-dead since the trade war and most singaporean android users are captive to samsung

oppo isn't big here while xiaomi is only bought by people looking for spare

pixel, oneplus, sony and LG have limited presence here

Here's my two cents on this:

HW Is half dead yes, till date I have not seen more than one mate 30 or even the GMS nova 5t in public.

Oppo Vivo realme and Xiaomi are heavily focused on ah beng phone shops promotion rather than carriers. A lot of foreign workers tend to buy these brands.

Xiaomi makes great backup phones. I bought the mi play as non camera phone for in Camp usage.

Oneplus is not sold officially here. LG and HTC are dead in SG. Pixel and Sony have limits presence, pixel is only sold by starhub and sony xperias are only sold in their official stores.

That's why samsung could be comfortable jacking up the prices a little more than expected.

Tenpai

Master Member
Reaction score
Simply because Sony stagnated pretty quickly with the z series, kept making merely ok reboots of the flagships, and not paying attention to midrangers..

I think they redeemed themselves with the XZ and the 1,5 series now

But people don't like cause their UI is too vanilla or plain, while the Chinese ROMs and OneUI looks more chio

Tenpai

Master Member
Reaction score
Here's my two cents on this:

HW Is half dead yes, till date I have not seen more than one mate 30 or even the GMS nova 5t in public.

Oppo Vivo realme and Xiaomi are heavily focused on ah beng phone shops promotion rather than carriers. A lot of foreign workers tend to buy these brands.

Xiaomi makes great backup phones. I bought the mi play as non camera phone for in Camp usage.

Oneplus is not sold officially here. LG and HTC are dead in SG. Pixel and Sony have limits presence, pixel is only sold by starhub and sony xperias are only sold in their official stores.

That's why samsung could be comfortable jacking up the prices a little more than expected.

Well-said. Many Android users are captive to Samsung. Most Samsung users are just signing handset plans or think Samsung = Android.

Oppo caters mainly to the youths who want good selfie cameras, while Xiaomi caters to either pioneer generations who just want something very cheap or young adults who just want a backup phone for gaming. The Redmi series sell better than their Mi series.

Vivo's presence is like HTC, nearly invisible.

As for LG, people only think they make TV or washing machines. Not many will do research to find out that they do manufacture phones as well.

Sony doesn't even do advertising for their phones in SG other than on Instagram, so it means many Singaporeans won't be aware that they also sell phones, on top of their famous televisions or cameras.

Anyway, nowadays most of the even younger generations all using iPhones and Macbooks now since they are affluent so I foresee a drop in Android numbers

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
And seems like apart from Samsung, only Huawei (can write off for this year already) and Apple offer storage in excess of 128GB. And only a few phones have IP68 water resistance which I really appreciate, cos I can just wash my phone daily.

So go here go there end up back with Samsung :(

But I guess at this point if you don't need 5G the Note 10+ seems like a much better buy? Unless you fall for the camera gimmick...

athenodorus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
And seems like apart from Samsung, only Huawei (can write off for this year already) and Apple offer storage in excess of 128GB. And only a few phones have IP68 water resistance which I really appreciate, cos I can just wash my phone daily.

But I guess at this point if you don't need 5G the Note 10+ seems like a much better buy? Unless you fall for the camera gimmick...
It’s not just camera upgrades. There’s also bigger battery, touch responsiveness and screen refresh rate.

Thanks to the 128gb capacity restriction, note 10+ is now able to command higher resale value lol.

Ye_Rongtian

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

120hz and and 240hz touch polling.. once you used it, 60hz just don't cut it. I am using Asus ROG phone 2 and it is smoooottthhh. Getting s20 ultra for main phone and rog phone 2 will be my entertainment and gaming phone

chooyoshi

Reaction score
Well-said. Many Android users are captive to Samsung. Most Samsung users are just signing handset plans or think Samsung = Android.

Oppo caters mainly to the youths who want good selfie cameras, while Xiaomi caters to either pioneer generations who just want something very cheap or young adults who just want a backup phone for gaming. The Redmi series sell better than their Mi series.

Vivo's presence is like HTC, nearly invisible.

As for LG, people only think they make TV or washing machines. Not many will do research to find out that they do manufacture phones as well.

Sony doesn't even do advertising for their phones in SG other than on Instagram, so it means many Singaporeans won't be aware that they also sell phones, on top of their famous televisions or cameras.

Anyway, nowadays most of the even younger generations all using iPhones and Macbooks now since they are affluent so I foresee a drop in Android numbers

Were your observations based on your personal observations? Mine differ slightly from yours.

I believed why every android boot screen has the powered by android logo is because google was concerned about samsung=android.

And don't compare Vivo to HTC. The latter left our market in 2018 and is already dead in the smartphone space. Vivo is far more recognized here, especially in the ah beng phone shops.

Last time before the chinese oems muscled in LG and Sony (Ericsson) would still be options most consumers would consider;Nokia too. But nowadays they don't have mindshare anymore. Last phone LG sold here was V40.

I think that iOS vs Android marketshare here is going to be pretty steady here, like it does worldwide. Few are going to jump ship to the other side given the maturity of smartphones.

How many preorders are we gonna see for the s20? Ideally one should be patient and wait some months for a price drop,the present rrp is not good.

chooyoshi

Reaction score
I think they redeemed themselves with the XZ and the 1,5 series now

But people don't like cause their UI is too vanilla or plain, while the Chinese ROMs and OneUI looks more chio

Also sony had a bad rep for cameras, quality and overheating issues.

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
120hz and and 240hz touch polling.. once you used it, 60hz just don't cut it. I am using Asus ROG phone 2 and it is smoooottthhh. Getting s20 ultra for main phone and rog phone 2 will be my entertainment and gaming phone
haha I'm using 144hz on my desktop monitor but I don't really notice the difference. I guess maybe 240hz polling rate may be more noticeable for me. Plus seems like they are gimping the 120hz mode (though rumour say they will remove the limitation?)

To me fast storage is more important. My 512gb already using half the space... Also I using dual SIM and I think airsim got no eSIM yet?

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It’s not just camera upgrades. There’s also bigger battery, touch responsiveness and screen refresh rate.

Thanks to the 128gb capacity restriction, note 10+ is now able to command higher resale value lol.

Bigger battery but dunno how efficient is the new exynos chipset haha.

Another thing is my hand already feel very strain typing on the note 10+ at times... Cannot tahan any bigger phone liao...

Ye_Rongtian

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
haha I'm using 144hz on my desktop monitor but I don't really notice the difference. I guess maybe 240hz polling rate may be more noticeable for me. Plus seems like they are gimping the 120hz mode (though rumour say they will remove the limitation?)

To me fast storage is more important. My 512gb already using half the space... Also I using dual SIM and I think airsim got no eSIM yet?

Airsim don't have esim... Airalo is esim. Can only try it on 3 March. Just use the internal storage for apps. Photos and video can store on microsd. Confirmed 120hz will be available in QHD in future firmware. Sure you don't notice it? Quite noticable when scrolling... And typing on the keyboard is damn fast.

Ye_Rongtian

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How many preorders are we gonna see for the s20? Ideally one should be patient and wait some months for a price drop,the present rrp is not good.

Z flip is the hot selling phone now. Sold out islandwide and those that have stock are selling over 2k. Not much preorder for s20. :s13:

chooyoshi

Reaction score
Z flip is the hot selling phone now. Sold out islandwide and those that have stock are selling over 2k. Not much preorder for s20. :s13:
Or samsung deliberately stocked small quantities of the z flip to give impressions of great sales.

Reborns

Reaction score
Who managed to preorder snapdragon set for s20 ultra? Can sic?

which country will carry snapdragon chipset that can use in singapore?
and what is the other 'issue' other than warranty?

like will Samsung Pay works *who cares about the points... i just want the convenience of it integrate with SMRT

1982-1994

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Export SD set can use Samsung pay, can use MST but cannot redeem rewards and can't tap through the gantry with the screen off

Aikon

Reaction score
which country will carry snapdragon chipset that can use in singapore?
and what is the other 'issue' other than warranty?

like will Samsung Pay works *who cares about the points... i just want the convenience of it integrate with SMRT

Export sets work like Google Pay.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.