AFTERSHOCK PC - Now featuring Nvidia 10 series graphics cards!

crapp0

Master Member
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_UOOkB4Aqw

new 17 inch model from the same makers of that 15 inch intel collab gaming notebook which locally here was our Aftershock vapour. Full non-maxQ 2070 in that kind of form factor looks really appealing

illegear already has this model as the Selenite Pro on their website, hope aftershock can pick up this model as a Vapour 17 too cos currently their 17 inch offerings IMO are very lacking

It's a bad time to get a gaming laptop, since the introduction of the promising amd mobile CPUs, and the next gen Nvidia house, not the refreshed models. Most likely the mobile gpus will be introduced by the end of 2020.

chiaRH

Reaction score
It's a bad time to get a gaming laptop, since the introduction of the promising amd mobile CPUs, and the next gen Nvidia house, not the refreshed models. Most likely the mobile gpus will be introduced by the end of 2020.

it's only a bad time IF you need latest and greatest, and based on my current observations:

- Unless you are making the jump from 1080p to 4k, waiting for Ampere is pointless since Turing (and even Pascal before it which I currently use) runs 1080p just as good and we have no idea how Ampere itself will handle 4k anyway

- With much of the industry focused on raytracing (a feature you can turn off, and SHOULD turn off if you value your fps), it doesn't look like there is going to be any huge jumps in graphical demands in upcoming game titles anyway. Turing shouldn't become obsolete anytime soon imo.

ericsoon72

Reaction score
wanted to get an aftershock desktop system. called in to ask if I can use my current 2 harddisk (SSD+ SATA) in addition to their SSD (total 3). Was told that their system can only install max 2 harddisks... Is it true or we can fix more than 2 HDD ourselves?

chiaRH

Reaction score
wanted to get an aftershock desktop system. called in to ask if I can use my current 2 harddisk (SSD+ SATA) in addition to their SSD (total 3). Was told that their system can only install max 2 harddisks... Is it true or we can fix more than 2 HDD ourselves?

think you might need to clarify with them if your current storage device is occupying the M.2 slot, or the hard disk SATA bay. Cos SSD + SATA is kinda confusing, since SSD is the storage type and SATA is an interface, i.e. you can have a SSD that is SATA, or a SSD that is PCIE... you get the idea

cos to me if i hear 'hard disk' i automatically assume it's the latter, and i do believe it is true that there aren't any desktop towers in aftershock that offer more than 2 hard disk bays.

If your config, after choosing the parts, still got enough empty leftover bays and M.2 slots you can check with them again if they're willing to help you install your own storage

chiaRH

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_UOOkB4Aqw

new 17 inch model from the same makers of that 15 inch intel collab gaming notebook which locally here was our Aftershock vapour. Full non-maxQ 2070 in that kind of form factor looks really appealing

illegear already has this model as the Selenite Pro on their website, hope aftershock can pick up this model as a Vapour 17 too cos currently their 17 inch offerings IMO are very lacking

lol looks like its finally here in Aftershock as vapor 17 pro

also just realised this model isnt using per-key backlight, strange i thought tongfang had that in their earlier models, wonder why they're still on zone backlight when literally every other major brand has transitioned to per-key

jgyy1990

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
17.3 inch laptop at 2kg, the weight is quite similar to the new MacBook Pro 16 inch

Reaction score
Is it just me or is Aftershock shaving down on Clevo units due to potential ODM part supply issues thanks to the spread of Covid-19 in China?
Note that although Clevo is based in Taichung City, Taiwan ROC, but most of its chassis parts are made in PRC.
If you notice its current Web Catalogue, only FORGE 15 Pro and LUNAR 14 Pro remain on their site. Other FORGE Series, SLATE and NOVA series are all inaccessible from main page except via direct URL now. Majority of available units are either Tongfang-based APEX Series, Intel Design (Vapor Series) or the Aorus-clone Terra Series.

Before someone tries to scream the 'F' word, be reminded that the same part supply chain disruption issue is now afflicting consumer automobile parts supplies with Major Automobile Makers complaining of factory shutdowns over parts supply issues, most of these are from China partners who supply parts that ended up in automobiles that are selling in global markets.

Last edited:

Anything_Whatever

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or is Aftershock shaving down on Clevo units due to potential ODM part supply issues thanks to the spread of Covid-19 in China?
Note that although Clevo is based in Taichung City, Taiwan ROC, but most of its chassis parts are made in PRC.
If you notice its current Web Catalogue, only FORGE 15 Pro and LUNAR 14 Pro remain on their site. Other FORGE Series, SLATE and NOVA series are all inaccessible from main page except via direct URL now. Majority of available units are either Tongfang-based APEX Series, Intel Design (Vapor Series) or the Aorus-clone Terra Series.

Before someone tries to scream the 'F' word, be reminded that the same part supply chain disruption issue is now afflicting consumer automobile parts supplies with Major Automobile Makers complaining of factory shutdowns over parts supply issues, most of these are from China partners who supply parts that ended up in automobiles that are selling in global markets.

Aftershock has removed the Forge series as of to-date.

Damn! I was actually going to buy the Forge 15Pro....:(

Kegler

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Vapor and vapor pro difference on the thunderbolt3 and battery size only?
Anyone did benchmark on vapor15 64wh battery?

chiaRH

Reaction score

tongfang itself is also a chinese ODM and i'm pretty sure the vapor and terra are also made in china. clevo just isnt the sole OEM/ODM that it used to be in the industry now that tongfang is also in the business.

shawnbright

Reaction score
Better now tho with the Nvidia's RTX 2080 is a better card, newer technology and offering better, faster performance than the GTX 1080 Ti. Lower cost comparing both!

Anything_Whatever

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dilemma

Vapor 15 2060 or vapor 15 pro 1660ti ?

Pro 2070 will burst my Budget

Keyboard is different ...pro version doesn’t have numeric keypad at the right side...
If you frequently use spreadsheets ... I would suggest the non-pro version .

Kegler

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Keyboard is different ...pro version doesn’t have numeric keypad at the right side...
If you frequently use spreadsheets ... I would suggest the non-pro version .

Thanks for pointing that out.... but the pro version is mechanical kb.... sounds interesting

chiaRH

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that out.... but the pro version is mechanical kb.... sounds interesting

mechanical keyboard in a laptop form factor that thin is effectively meaningless, your key travel will probably be so short that it feels not much different from a membrane key with scissor switch

jgyy1990

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am looking at vapour pro series due to their 94wh battery. Personally 1660ti graphics is more than enough to play most games.

jgyy1990

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
nova series have more USB ports and m.2 slot for sure and 4k display. but this machine is way over my budget and I will not be able to appreciate 2070 graphics card better than 1660ti.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.