2020 market expectations and positioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
premarket is **** for today...

Europe is down 3%. It was way overvalued now it falling. Europeans are suddenly finding out that yeah Corona virus can hit them too. Asia has already fallen, which is why I am sticking with Singapore and Asia.

ashethen

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Europe is down 3%. It was way overvalued now it falling. Europeans are suddenly finding out that yeah Corona virus can hit them too. Asia has already fallen, which is why I am sticking with Singapore and Asia.

are you holding any short put options? how is it doing?

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
are you holding any short put options? how is it doing?

No I stopped doing that since beginning of the year. S&P was just climbing every day, it makes no sense holding short puts in that scenario.

Now I am kind of in a portfolio allocation mode. 35% allocated to equities and the plan is to not make much changes until the end of the year.

DukeCS33

Reaction score
Interesting to see if this is a shakeout....

Indeed. Anything is possible. I am more inclined to think that it is less likely a shakeout as there are signs of money flowing out of the markets. The safe haven assets are getting bid with 10y UST yield at new lows. Unless we have shakeouts across all the other asset classes then it makes it one hell of a big shakeout.

Greysky

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
seems like the next 2 days are great opportunities for dipping stocks and etf.

anybody share the same thoughts?

netzach

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wah... no see deep green VIX and 700++ red Futures for quite a while in recent times already lol.

The last was during Oct 2018 and Dec 2018 during Fed rate hike iirc lol.

Knn... just remembered... prior to the CNY period, Ray Dalio, Paul Tudor and Stanley druckenmiller... those hedge fund guys were damn positive on stocks lol.

https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/www...as-everybody-wants-in-on-the-2020-market.html

And greed and fear index were at extreme greed.

Really, beware of the crowd at extreme lol. Should have run road by then lol.

:s22:

Majestic12

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Been short S&P 500, NASDAQ and DAX 30 since 11 February 2020. Covered a partial amount last week and took drawdowns before the big move downwards. Stops moved to opening levels.

Reasoning: USDSGD is up (size of the move recently from 1.3500 to 1.3900 was monstrous, pretty certain MAS is intervening), XAUUSD is up, equity indices on the charts look like a rocket to the moon, Tesla at US$900 and re-enacting SpaceX literally, commodities tumbled ahead of equities, UST10Y at all time Low, VIX looking way too quiet (macro fund manager peer shared that market is camouflaging risks) = time to go short.

It’s not so much the abundance of information but the assimilation of the key information. Don’t know how to phrase it succinctly.

Corona Virus is a real black swan. Kudos to Nassim Taleb once again.

Caveat: I only short the markets using CFDs.

Last edited:

d9_lives

Reaction score
Just checked my ibkr, p&l is minus 5 digits. It doesn't faze me. I will buy some in this week, waiting for my salary.

Last edited:

Majestic12

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
0.65% is promotional rate offered to selected RMs to their clients. Not sure for how long, but good question, i will ask.
She did mentioned about taking CHF/YEN loan for leverage, since both currencies are on a high and if it start to dip, it will benefit the leverage loan.
I am certainly clueless about how leveraged loan works.

I just want to keep some funds on the standby which i am deploy quickly.
Thinking of buying a property as well when the right one & price comes along.
My job requires me to travel ~80% of the time, hence no time to monitor and timezone difference are my constraints.

PIMCO Fixed Income Fund is give me around 4% per annual and by leveraging would provide ~6-7% after deducting leverage interest rates.
Totally agreed that RM are commission-driven & certainly earning from both leverage & unit trust sales charges.

I am on the fence whether to enter equities right now, already had some positions and thinking of exiting them.
Companies are issuing earnings warning due to delay in China manufacturing but the stock market are ignoring them and on a high. Not sure when and if the market will start to slow down.

Drop me a PM and I’m more than happy to advise. Am not a financial consultant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.