Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 3

silentears

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can recommend me budget friendly shoes 100+?
starting my 1st office job that requires leather shoes

- bought from rad russel (local brand, poor insoles) from robinsons, wear until dam pain on my feet (US8), suspect i have wide toes
- how to actually measure the correct size? I wear converse US 8 (EU 41)is small at the front, but US 9 (EU 42) is too big, but if i wear sports shoes I use US 9.
- so when i convert to leather shoes, i have trouble finding half sizes 8.5US or EU equivalent.

- also for leather shoes, only black colour is recommended? brown shoes = no black pants right?

- for versatility, i think i am looking for oxford type.

Last edited:

Chewbeans

Reaction score

- bought from rad russel (local brand, poor insoles) from robinsons, wear until dam pain on my feet (US8), suspect i have wide toes
- how to actually measure the correct size? I wear converse US 8 (EU 41)is small at the front, but US 9 (EU 42) is too big, but if i wear sports shoes I use US 9.
- so when i convert to leather shoes, i have trouble finding half sizes 8.5US or EU equivalent.

- also for leather shoes, only black colour is recommended? brown shoes = no black pants right?

Best first shoes would be a black cap toe oxford... can try local Earnest & Collective, Arden Teal, Gaius Walks... the first two I have had experience with in the past and they are ok with size exchange. Goodyear welted ones can be resoled. If you can bump up the budget a bit more then EdEtAl, Carlos Santos are popular at ~$300.

TUV2008

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bought this with a good price at TOD Knightsbridge in London recently. Their service was very good and they even offer to sell me online in future and send me without VAT.

Overall very happy purchase.

FzqrX0V.jpg

ipyZJin.jpg

DdkCY7Q.jpg

lousylah

Reaction score

Can try CNES from Vietnam. Their blake stitched shoes are <$200, when on sale can be as cheap as ~$150.

Their boutique at Arab quarter (across from parkroyal hotel). Their staff not snobbish, can try out and ask for input/suggestions.

Fyi Ed et Al and other brands also made in VN. The most famous factory in VN is Fugashin.

And brown shoes can go with black pants, no problem. Ideally belt, watch strap (if leather) and shoe should match but even then its ok to mix as long as you wear confidently! :)

Last edited:

lousylah

Reaction score
Best first shoes would be a black cap toe oxford... can try local Earnest & Collective, Arden Teal, Gaius Walks... the first two I have had experience with in the past and they are ok with size exchange. Goodyear welted ones can be resoled. If you can bump up the budget a bit more then EdEtAl, Carlos Santos are popular at ~$300.

E&C, arden teal, GW are all cemented (i.e glued) and possibly MIC. No diff from poster’s experience w rad russell or other brands like pedro, aldo, etc except maybe abit cheaper.

spicyscale11

Reaction score
Could use advice for topy. I have a pair of GW Frye (made in Mexico) with a lot of miles on them. The sole is very thin but no hole yet. I suspect based on research that topy or vibram could extend the life without the need for resole.

Is it worth a 45m train ride to take them to Bishan as recommended in the first post? If not, other suggestions? Price?

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Could use advice for topy. I have a pair of GW Frye (made in Mexico) with a lot of miles on them. The sole is very thin but no hole yet. I suspect based on research that topy or vibram could extend the life without the need for resole.

Is it worth a 45m train ride to take them to Bishan as recommended in the first post? If not, other suggestions? Price?

Topy services available many places. No need specially go bishan la

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Where do you stay what's your budget? Mason and Smith has collection and delivery but you need to pay for it.

Sent from Samsung SM-N960F using GAGT

tyh1991

Reaction score
Just want to share. For about €500 (+€45 shipping) you can get a fully handmade shoe (handwelted) from a company in Hungary called Rozsnyai (link here).

This is an amazing price for a handmade, handwelted (basically bespoke) shoes!
PS: If you are wondering what handwelted is, they basically do the entire goodyear welt process (all that stitching) by hand!

They can fully customized (MTO) a pair of shoes for you at no additional charge! You can do this via their customizer page based on a fixed set of models they offer. Alternatively you can email/fb-msg them models that you happen to like but they do not offer and they will be happy to make them for you - usually at no additional cost (dependent on the complexity of what you want).

Here are a pair of their shoes I just received recently! Really stunning pair of shoes with amazing craftsmanship. I will let the shoes speak for themselves!

spicyscale11

Reaction score
Where do you stay what's your budget? Mason and Smith has collection and delivery but you need to pay for it.

Sent from Samsung SM-N960F using GAGT

Thanks, I work at Raffles City. I could pop by Mason and Smith on lunch break. Do you know what they charge?

I was debating between repair and replacement. If I can get heels and topy for under $80 then I'll repair. It woud pain me to toss these with the uppers still in good condition.

TUV2008

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That’s quite a nice shoe, I like the red wine color and one day I will get one also the same color.

The only downside for buying online is the fitting. My experience with MTO shoe is the size and cut of all maker and design are so different. Some maker I have to chose bigger some smaller. So at this moment I am not adventurous enough to buy such shoe online without a real physical fitting.

Just want to share. For about €500 (+€45 shipping) you can get a fully handmade shoe (handwelted) from a company in Hungary called Rozsnyai (link here).

This is an amazing price for a handmade, handwelted (basically bespoke) shoes!
PS: If you are wondering what handwelted is, they basically do the entire goodyear welt process (all that stitching) by hand!

They can fully customized (MTO) a pair of shoes for you at no additional charge! You can do this via their customizer page based on a fixed set of models they offer. Alternatively you can email/fb-msg them models that you happen to like but they do not offer and they will be happy to make them for you - usually at no additional cost (dependent on the complexity of what you want).

Here are a pair of their shoes I just received recently! Really stunning pair of shoes with amazing craftsmanship. I will let the shoes speak for themselves!

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I work at Raffles City. I could pop by Mason and Smith on lunch break. Do you know what they charge?

I was debating between repair and replacement. If I can get heels and topy for under $80 then I'll repair. It woud pain me to toss these with the uppers still in good condition.

Raffles city itself has some mister fix? 1 stop away raffles place sole mann. Reliable, i got personal experience.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.