Syfe REIT+

assiak71

Master Member
Reaction score
I think it would be good to see a backtest of their approach vs an ETF and REIT index to understand the impact of their Bond mechanism.
Im interested to know too

But I would like to highlight that imo syfe reit+ is a portfolio and not meant to be seen as or compared to a sreit etf. Meaning for someone who is currently doing a portfolio of eg 80% reits, 20% bonds, this is what syfe reit+ is trying to offer (not the exact numbers but the point about it being a portfolio). It is for replacing the whole portfolio, not for replacing the 80% reits portion. Imo thats how one should view syre reit+

Last edited:

bluegt

Reaction score
Im interested to know too

But I would like to highlight that imo syfe reit+ is a portfolio and not meant to be seen as or compared to a sreit etf. Meaning for someone who is currently doing a portfolio of eg 80% reits, 20% bonds, this is what syfe reit+ is trying to offer (not the exact numbers but the point about it being a portfolio). It is for replacing the whole portfolio, not for replacing the 80% reits portion. Imo thats how one should view syre reit+

Yes, it could be seen that way. That’s one of the main issues with this product. It’s like putting your money into a black box and not knowing how it will work. We don’t know how their algorithm works, we don’t know historical results, they don’t provide very much disclosure (except via your questions) on their portfolio composition...

I’m actually quite surprised they are allowed to do this and yet still be MAS approved.

assiak71

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes, it could be seen that way. That’s one of the main issues with this product. It’s like putting your money into a black box and not knowing how it will work. We don’t know how their algorithm works, we don’t know historical results, they don’t provide very much disclosure (except via your questions) on their portfolio composition...

I’m actually quite surprised they are allowed to do this and yet still be MAS approved.

Historical results is in the second link in first post. Per year included

Anyway i have further feedback for an option of a 100% REITs portfolio without ARI. Lets see whether they offer this option. Guess this is what many would be interested in?

And they are working on iEdge S-REIT 20 Index which is great imo. Better than a black box proprietary methodology

Last edited:

assiak71

Master Member
Reaction score
It will be good if they offer 100% REITS and focus on the REITS selection.

REITs selection is simply going to be replicating the iEdge S-REIT 20 Index when that is out. What selection are you thinking?

len555

Reaction score
Is it a good time for REIT now? Considering the ncov, people might stay indoors and all that, or is not affected by that. What factors affects it? Pardon my ignorance,newbie here.

Shu

Reaction score
Is it a good time for REIT now? Considering the ncov, people might stay indoors and all that, or is not affected by that. What factors affects it? Pardon my ignorance,newbie here.

I’m curious too. Want to get my feet wet in REITS but still reading up on it. But also have some spare cash at the moment. Am wondering if I should just start with a robo-managed portfolio first.

Reaction score
I think the corona virus won't have an effect on REITs in the short term as rental agreements are usually relatively long-term. So REIT managers will still get good rental income even though malls are temporarily less crowded.

Most important for high REIT prices is that interest rates are staying low and I think corona virus will be another reason to keep them low (which I think they would stay anyway). So from my point of view there is no reason why REITs should not continue to do well.

assiak71

Master Member
Reaction score
From https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...syfe-6092311-post125261169.html#post125261169

I am vested in Nikko's CFA and looks like it already has 9 out of the 15 in Syfe's REIT+. Would it make sense to now switch to Syfe's or should I continue DCA-ing CFA? What do you guys think?

Note that syfe reit+ is a portfolio which consists of sreits and A35 bond etf. It is not apple to apple comparison to CFA, which firstly invests in asia ex japan reits and secondly is 100% in reits.

Therefore you have to make an assessment on how it fits into your overall allocation

huiseh

Reaction score
Fromhttps://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/m...#post125261169

Note that syfe reit+ is a portfolio which consists of sreits and A35 bond etf. It is not apple to apple comparison to CFA, which firstly invests in asia ex japan reits and secondly is 100% in reits.

Therefore you have to make an assessment on how it fits into your overall allocation

Yeah that's what I noticed as well. Too much A35 % for my liking. Hopefully they'll allow us to choose 100% REITs in the near future.
Or maybe I'll just stop DCA-ing CFA/A35/MBH and put my money in this portfolio. Easier to manage

Posted from PCWX using Pixel 2 XL

assiak71

Master Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I noticed as well. Too much A35 % for my liking. Hopefully they'll allow us to choose 100% REITs in the near future.
Or maybe I'll just stop DCA-ing CFA/A35/MBH and put my money in this portfolio. Easier to manage

Do note that allocation to A35 is dynamic, depending on their ARI algo. It can range from 0 to 50%

Han Shot First

Reaction score
Syfe REIT+ portfolio is not a REIT ETF. Therefore, will the Singapore REITs within the Syfe REIT+ portfolio be subjected to 17% corporate tax on their S-REITs distributions?

A related question is: For REIT unit trust (offered by fund distributors in Singapore), will the S-REITs distributions be subjected to 17% corporate tax? (I think there are a few REIT unit trusts in Singapore.)

JetStorm

Reaction score

For someone who used to buy A35 and CFA using invest saver for multiplier bonus, this portfolio 2 in one is a lifesaver...

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 8 PRO using GAGT

hellfire88

Reaction score
Syfe REIT+ portfolio is not a REIT ETF. Therefore, will the Singapore REITs within the Syfe REIT+ portfolio be subjected to 17% corporate tax on their S-REITs distributions?

A related question is: For REIT unit trust (offered by fund distributors in Singapore), will the S-REITs distributions be subjected to 17% corporate tax? (I think there are a few REIT unit trusts in Singapore.)

According to their FAQ, not subjected to the tax

"Are dividends from the REIT+ portfolio subject to withholding tax?
Individuals and resident corporations are not subject to Singapore withholding tax on S-REITs or Bonds as per IRAS guidelines. Should any tax be withheld, Syfe will reimburse its clients the entire amount."

https://www.syfe.com/faq

Not sure about other REIT unit trusts - got to check with them directly on their policy.

Han Shot First

Reaction score
How(/What) is the asset allocation of 15 S-REITs vs A35 bond ETF for Syfe REIT+ portfolio (today after the recent decline in global stock markets)?

Han Shot First

Reaction score
I think only beginning of February it reduced from 100% REITs down to 74.1%, so probably no further adjustment required.

Does it make sense for new investor to invest in Syfe REIT+ portfolio or for an existing investor to topup this portfolio? Because REIT prices have decreased but A35 bond ETF price has increased due to the stock market downturn. If the asset allocation of REITs had remained at 100%, then at least the investor is sure of investing in an asset that has gone down in price.

assiak71

Master Member
Reaction score
Does it make sense for new investor to invest in Syfe REIT+ portfolio or for an existing investor to topup this portfolio? Because REIT prices have decreased but A35 bond ETF price has increased due to the stock market downturn. If the asset allocation of REITs had remained at 100%, then at least the investor is sure of investing in an asset that has gone down in price.

Doesnt matter. Just add to it and the new monies will be used to maintain the portfolio AA. Its the same for stashaway, endowus etc portfolios

Brown24

Reaction score
Syfe REIT+ just sold the REITS and bought more Bond yesterday.
Kind of Buy high sell low, don't feel very good about their approach.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.