2020 market expectations and positioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHighlander

Master Member
Reaction score
US futures are closed on the weekend

Where got -2.66%?

problem is slashing interest rate does not help the businesses. it is not a liquidity issue that business are facing but logistics supply shock and the resultant drop in business spending. the central banks could loan me a billion dollars to keep my business afloat but I'm making losses everyday because of disrupted supply lines. Liquidity does not resolve insolvency.

if the trump administration is smart enough now, they will remove all existing tariffs on Chinese products which will not help much as well but markets will like this news alot.

As it stands, weekend djia is at -2.66%.

Posted from PCWX using Redmi K20 Pro

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
While there is a backdrop of liquidity, this is double edge... my fear has always been that the central banks have expended their ammunition and then what? We have a litmus test on this scenario now as rates are already low and Central banks' balance sheet bloated.
If government economic intervention is merited, then fiscal policies are available. Back when the U.S. economy needed more stimulus economist Paul Krugman explained how the threat of an alien invasion would spur the necessary fiscal stimulus, tongue in cheek. Well, we have an alien invader now, even though it's terrestrial in origin and much smaller than Hollywood's space aliens.

The United States, the world's largest economy, has something like record high taxing power right now (taxes are extremely low there by modern historical standards) and could spend aggressively and massively if it wishes whenever it wishes.

Krugman recently characterized COVID-19 as both a supply and a demand shock, of magnitude yet to be determined, and with markets currently betting that it's primarily a demand shock (a consensus forecast he agrees with).

Last edited:

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If government economic intervention is merited, then fiscal policies are available. Back when the U.S. economy needed more stimulus economist Paul Krugman explained how the threat of an alien invasion would spur the necessary fiscal stimulus, tongue in cheek. Well, we have an alien invader now, even though it's terrestrial in origin and much smaller than Hollywood's space aliens.

The United States, the world's largest economy, has something like record high taxing power right now (taxes are extremely low there by modern historical standards) and could spend aggressively and massively if it wishes whenever it wishes.

Krugman recently characterized COVID-19 as both a supply and a demand shock, of magnitude yet to be determined, and with markets currently betting that it's primarily a demand shock (a consensus forecast he agrees with).

Isn't taxing the opposite of stimulus? unless you mean taxing only the top 1%.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

This is increasingly looking like beginning of 2008 and not 2016 or 2018. Stick to your asset allocation guys, dont over commit, yet.

Remember the real shock of 2008 came after market had already fallen substantially i.e. in September Lehman brothers. Markets started falling way back in February. So this is just the start. This is not to say sell and bailout now. But dont get overly bullish so early. There could be large scale job losses and the economy could tank and central banks may not be able to control. So keep atleast 4 years worth of savings in fixed income, to tide over any such potential scenarios.

Last edited:

homer123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am also holding back as I think this virus crisis has more room to create havoc .
This is increasingly looking like beginning of 2008 and not 2016 or 2018. Stick to your asset allocation guys, dont over commit, yet.

Remember the real shock of 2008 came after market had already fallen substantially i.e. in September Lehman brothers. Markets started falling way back in February. So this is just the start. This is not to say sell and bailout now. But dont get overly bullish so early. There could be large scale job losses and the economy could tank and central banks may not be able to control. So keep atleast 4 years worth of savings in fixed income, to tide over any such potential scenarios.

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
based on the IG weekend markets, if we are expecting a 2% drop, looks like STI ETF will be $2.96 on Monday. I'm buying some at that price, and ready to average down, just like 2008.

coolhead

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

ok it's scary u r turning bearish.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
he already entered 50k sti. no scare

I have another 100k to allocate and then my allocation becomes 50:50. That is my limit. I will be more cautious in investing the 100k now, but I will not sell whatever is already invested.

lancer6238

Reaction score
I am curious about something. I see that the media tends to report on the changes in the Dow Jones Index a lot more than the S&P 500. Why is this so, when DJI only covers 30 companies compared to S&P's 500? Is it more sensational to report a drop of DJI's 1000 points instead of S&P's 30 point drop?

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I started buying during the GFC after STI went under 3,000, which hindsight says was too early, but I have no regrets!

My only regret from the last GFC is buying too little, rather than buying too early. :s13: Even though I ran out of CPF-OA after STI hit 1,500, I still had a fair bit of CPF-SA left but i didn't use that much....

coolhead

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I started buying during the GFC after STI went under 3,000, which hindsight says was too early, but I have no regrets!

My only regret from the last GFC is buying too little, rather than buying too early.
:s13:
Even though I ran out of CPF-OA after STI hit 1,500, I still had a fair bit of CPF-SA left but i didn't use that much....

envy u guys, cpf just got emptied for my hdb loan 2 months back :(

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

My only regret from the last GFC is buying too little, rather than buying too early. :s13: Even though I ran out of CPF-OA after STI hit 1,500, I still had a fair bit of CPF-SA left but i didn't use that much....

I believe prior to the GFC, Singapore market was like a high growth market similar to other EMs and there was much higher interest than it is now.

Now SG market is more like low growth stable high dividend market. Do you see similar reaction for SG markets this time also? I mean if S&P500 hits 2000, will STI also hit 2000?

articland05

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

how do I know if I have link my CPF/SRS to brokerage? any way to check?

Sent from LGE LG-H990 using GAGT

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how do I know if I have link my CPF/SRS to brokerage? any way to check?

Sent from LGE LG-H990 using GAGT

poems all you have to do is to login to poems, key in CPFIS number into account details. Thats it, link already. i assume other brokerages similarly easy, otherwise you should switch to poems :s13:

Okenba

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

What can we buy with SA? Only individual stocks? STI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.