[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it more worth to build own NAS or buy synology?

I think what he meant was easier to buy prebuilt than building one yourself.

While both have it's own pros and cons, i personally prefer Synology due to its ecosystem.

Building your own could be fun but very time consuming. U probably can google for more info. Over here we seldom talk about custom built NAS

t258jgn

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Qoo10 with vouchers usually cheaper if u know how. Else wait for upcoming IT Show. Usually the price also cheaper than cash and carry at SLS

I don't think there'll be any IT Show in March

I might be wrong. :s22:

megaweb

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have an issue for my office NAS as follows:

I created a few shared folders from DSM using admin account. Some of folders cannot be viewed from File Station from DSM. I can see all the folders from Window Explorer. Is it due to some permission issues ?

LIN_JOEL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I need some suggestion and help.

I own a DS916+ which 1 of the bay might be degraded and causing problems, even with New HDD.

Therefore I'm looking for an additional backup fro my DS916+ with either,
1. 2 HDD Bay with raid 1 like Orico just for saving data. However I'm unsure is it easy to recover data if 1 disk is down.

2. 2 Bay DS218 series as I find synology software able to prompt and repair the data hassle free. Is it possible to link DS916+ and DS218 under 1 network for transfer and backup using the second lan port from DS218?

I'm not intending to get a New 4 bay NAS as my purpose mainly for backup and don't really access it out of home.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have an issue for my office NAS as follows:

I created a few shared folders from DSM using admin account. Some of folders cannot be viewed from File Station from DSM. I can see all the folders from Window Explorer. Is it due to some permission issues ?

Yes u r right

sacredrays

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone knows where can buy the 4-pin power bricks for the NAS? and roughly how much for 100w.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I need some suggestion and help.

I own a DS916+ which 1 of the bay might be degraded and causing problems, even with New HDD.

Therefore I'm looking for an additional backup fro my DS916+ with either,
1. 2 HDD Bay with raid 1 like Orico just for saving data. However I'm unsure is it easy to recover data if 1 disk is down.

2. 2 Bay DS218 series as I find synology software able to prompt and repair the data hassle free. Is it possible to link DS916+ and DS218 under 1 network for transfer and backup using the second lan port from DS218?

I'm not intending to get a New 4 bay NAS as my purpose mainly for backup and don't really access it out of home.

yes can - i'm doing this.

shawnbright

Reaction score
The Synology DiskStation DS1019+ is an excellent choice for users looking for a versatile five-bay NAS that can handle their data backup, video streaming, IP camera management, and file-sharing needs. Good for office purposes!

leecs93

Reaction score
Hi Syno users,

As mentioned previously in my post, my DS414 has died on me. So I'm thinking of getting the DS418 as replacement. Some did suggest the DS918+ as an alternative but I feel that it might too powerful for my needs.

But if I were to jump in with the DS918+, will the data transfer & setup be as easy? I mean just plug my previous HDD into the new DS918 and it should be able to rebuild to my previous configuration or I need to start new?

My needs for NAS are for data backup, photo backup and media streaming. I'm pretty sure I wasn't using the NAS to its full potential. The NAS is supposed to be on 24/7 but occasionally I do find it going OFF by itself which I thought was unusual.

How do you guys set up the NAS for like media streaming to TV and other devices like iphone/ipads?

Appreciate your inputs

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Save the money and go for DS418.

Am using DS418 now and previously was DS414.

Slot in HDDs in the same sequence as previous setup and can access data soon.

sacredrays

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is there any trade in program or something for synology nas?:s11::s11:

see you all just upgrade but never mention what you all do with the older nas...

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Syno users,

As mentioned previously in my post, my DS414 has died on me. So I'm thinking of getting the DS418 as replacement. Some did suggest the DS918+ as an alternative but I feel that it might too powerful for my needs.

But if I were to jump in with the DS918+, will the data transfer & setup be as easy? I mean just plug my previous HDD into the new DS918 and it should be able to rebuild to my previous configuration or I need to start new?

My needs for NAS are for data backup, photo backup and media streaming. I'm pretty sure I wasn't using the NAS to its full potential. The NAS is supposed to be on 24/7 but occasionally I do find it going OFF by itself which I thought was unusual.

How do you guys set up the NAS for like media streaming to TV and other devices like iphone/ipads?

Appreciate your inputs

Media streaming? My usage pattern similar with yours but i took the ds918+. The ability to have more memory makes it beefier and also helps alot with the transcoding. I do have ups to ensure my nas doesnt go to bed even when i am facing power outage at home

Migration so long is same disk to same slot.. there is nothing for u to worry upon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.