Going Japan this Oct-Dec?

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How many of you are confident enough to travel for this koyo and winter season? Starting to book refundable hotels but haven't purchased any airtix yet. Prices are still quite high.

thwysg

Reaction score
We haven’t booked anything yet as well. Hoping to see how the situation is like in May.

VD

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Book at your own risk. There is some report from Taiwan that they ain't confident that the situation might improve even when summer arrived, and I think chances of getting refund will drastically reduced as time passes, not unless MFA issues an travel advisory.

juxtaposition

Reaction score
Shld be ok to book refundable tix n hotels n adopt wait n see approach. Anw the prices also haven’t start lelong so no hurry.

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Safe to book all refundable for now. Airtix probably go with JAL/ANA as their domestic flights from Osaka to Tokyo is cheaper than shinkansen but see how.

VD

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yeah, best to book Air tix/accommodation with free cancellation or refund

KyushuWoozy

Reaction score
Good question, I was Googling about this. The article I was reading says the hot season here "should" hasten the virus demise, but of course nobody knows and there are conflicting views. We've cancelled all our Spring tours (never run tours in summer anyway) but planning to release our autumn leaves tour soon. However decided will open waiting list but not take any deposit yet. It's really horrible situation. Disclaimer: I'm a travel agent here.

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As this virus is similar to SARS, judging from previous episodes, there will still be remnants of the virus but they are mostly contained. No one is sure what happens next.

Fingers crossed the storm will pass, we continue to practice good hygiene, tourists start to return, omotenashi coming back, and someone burn that bloody market to the ground.

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Since I been going to for Koyo viewing annually since 2013.
This year no exception, Flight already booked (8th Koyo in a row)

Plus 20/26 nights of hotels also all secured. Just waiting for some ryokans to start accepting reservations in the next few months.

If the situation does not improve by Nov, I guess Japan will be in a big headache (Olympic Cancellation, etc)

Nova6612

Reaction score
I am sure if this virus continues to drag on in Japan, there will be fewer tourists and prices will drop in order to entice more visitors to come.

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am sure if this virus continues to drag on in Japan, there will be fewer tourists and prices will drop in order to entice more visitors to come.

I might be wrong but after several trips and my limited knowledge of their culture, they would rather go bust than to offer huge discounts. This is referring to SMEs only like family ryokans, izakaya, restaurants, obasan shops, etc. Big hotel chains may be cheaper but not a lot.

Takagi

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
this virus will be here for a long time cuz i believe it will not be like SARS and disappeared during summer

so just monitor and decide after june/july

i alrdy thinking maybe this yr not going overseas at all

Beefsteak

Master Member
Reaction score
I have a trip in May. But so far I don't see that hotel rates have gone down at all.

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have a trip in May. But so far I don't see that hotel rates have gone down at all.

Hotel rates during koyo seasn is still very high. Maybe higher by 10% compared to 2019. The "better" rates are non-refundable and they may not be that flexible as compared to airlines in getting refunds in case sith happens.

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Only some will have such flexible rates depending on demand one.

Some other hotels i know is fixed rate, and they do annual revision on the rates.
So the rates even with the virus also never move...

But then looking at my next trips, actually some hotels did become cheaper..
But then it is one of my super regular hotel so i will still honor my old rates pay extra is fine.

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Only some will have such flexible rates depending on demand one.

Some other hotels i know is fixed rate, and they do annual revision on the rates.
So the rates even with the virus also never move...

But then looking at my next trips, actually some hotels did become cheaper..
But then it is one of my super regular hotel so i will still honor my old rates pay extra is fine.

You're still going ahead for koyo this year? JR tokyo station hotel is really ex but I can understand the thought of sleeping peacefully while hundreds of thousands commute a few floors below your room.

Would be interesting to see if the bias perception change from prc to westerners as now more angmos are getting infected.

Hamwichh

Reaction score
A bit stuck now. Already paid for the plane tickets in November on SIA and the Airbnb in Kyoto. I had some really good suggestions from people here on this subforum and I was really hoping for my mother to have a good trip to Japan.

I think I'll have to see the situation more in the upcoming months.

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A bit stuck now. Already paid for the plane tickets in November on SIA and the Airbnb in Kyoto. I had some really good suggestions from people here on this subforum and I was really hoping for my mother to have a good trip to Japan.

I think I'll have to see the situation more in the upcoming months.

Still some time. Airbnb should be fully refundable except for service fees? How much was your airtix?

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You're still going ahead for koyo this year? JR tokyo station hotel is really ex but I can understand the thought of sleeping peacefully while hundreds of thousands commute a few floors below your room.

Would be interesting to see if the bias perception change from prc to westerners as now more angmos are getting infected.

Yes. Of course going Koyo this year :s12:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.