[OFFICIAL] Fish keeping lover lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
I just found out something silly. Weekly i do try to clean up the guppy tank, suck out whatever waste among the plants. Today i notice the tank's walls are quite covered with algae thick. Bey tahan, so I start to scratch it off with a plastic spoon. Then I realise as i scratch (quite tough i realise), the guppies are crowding around me busy munching the algae i scrap off. Wah lau, can't they have helped me peck off from the wall instead... :s22::s13:
So I just scrap and they eat, didn't care to take out the algae. The guppies seem happy snacking on them.

Its nothing harmful for the fishes to eat them. Right???:s11:

Actually you should leave the algae alone.
Its a good source of food for the fish and it helps to polish the water.

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup it is good for their digestive system too, but if you leave the algae in your tank, it multiply faster, nothing harmful, just more unsightly
Actually you should leave the algae alone.
Its a good source of food for the fish and it helps to polish the water.
I notice they never pinch on the algae wall before leh. Polish water meaning?
I realize the algae thick till quite hard to scrape. Probably will leave it alone for a few weeks see if grow back bah. And ya it was unsightly thus caught my attention... :p

Sent from Xiaomi POCOPHONE F1 using GAGT

blackestvoid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone have tips on keeping nerite snails from climbing out of tank besides covering it?

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
I notice they never pinch on the algae wall before leh. Polish water meaning?
I realize the algae thick till quite hard to scrape. Probably will leave it alone for a few weeks see if grow back bah. And ya it was unsightly thus caught my attention... :p

Polish water means to make the water better.
Algae is also like plants. It will consume waste and give out O2.

MrTheROCK

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i just realise when i keep my betta fish in those 350ml Nano Tank Cube and place it under the morning sun, the fish tank will grow lots of algae and i only suck suck out the poop daily. and top up water. the fish is surviving v well!!! :o

compare to when i didnt let it morning sun tanned and the fish will die quickly :o

i believe the morning sun kill off all the germs and bacteria :o

thats y those who stay at HDB and put their fish tank guppies with hornwort and outside corridor with morning sun, no filter and low maintenance, they can still multiply:o

Last edited:

TehSi99

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone had slowly dying cherry shrimps, like 3 or 4 shrimps every week due to high water temperature (29 or 30 deg)?

TehSi99

Master Member
Reaction score
29-30 shrimps..a bit difficult even dun die also wont be healthy

Just started this hobby. Been reading stories of people keeping at this temp and say breeding like rabbits. But not for me. Shrimps and shrimplets dying slowly.

Eeveegin

Reaction score
Hihi new to this forum and hobby . Can anyone advise? I’ve two gold fishes in a 60cm tank . Kept them for two months . After first few days of setup , the water turned whitish cloudy . Thinking it bacterial bloom I let it be but did slight water changes every 3-4 days . After a mth it’s still cloudy but now it’d greenish cloudy . It’s not placed under strong sunlight too . Anyone can help ? I’ve bought those drops for promoting healthy n clear water n did a 50% water change too but nothing helps 😖Thank u !! ❤️

Miltah

Reaction score
Hihi new to this forum and hobby . Can anyone advise? I’ve two gold fishes in a 60cm tank . Kept them for two months . After first few days of setup , the water turned whitish cloudy . Thinking it bacterial bloom I let it be but did slight water changes every 3-4 days . After a mth it’s still cloudy but now it’d greenish cloudy . It’s not placed under strong sunlight too . Anyone can help ? I’ve bought those drops for promoting healthy n clear water n did a 50% water change too but nothing helps 😖Thank u !! ❤️

What’s total volume of tank?
What filtration are u running?
If using pump driven, what’s the flow rate thru the filter or canister
What media are u using?

Some info which pple will need to know to help

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can i mix oto fish, guppies, Colour zebra danio and neon tetra together? :o
Bump this qns. I curious too. The colorful mix will be nice lor, but I wonder if they make good community buddies...

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
Just started this hobby. Been reading stories of people keeping at this temp and say breeding like rabbits. But not for me. Shrimps and shrimplets dying slowly.

Mine around this temp.
Still breeding.
But my tank is a 2 footer fill with Xmas moss thou.

Ultimo_Urien

Banned
Reaction score
These days still mani pple keep luohan fish???
Went to few aquariums and find that they dun carry that much liao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.