Johor Bahru - share is caring - Part 2

Reaction score
Oh I see.

Maybe just go Sutera Mall area. They have hotels there just outside Sutera Mall, retail and f&b shops. Free parkings but I'm not sure whether they have gyms there. Paradigm Mall and Platino Condo not far either, just take grab or taxi or drive you reach will there within 5 to 10 mins.

just wondering what is the equivalent of Mount Austin in SG?
Is it the happening area ? maybe like Holland V?

Joe Mahmood

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I had passed that area afew times Mount Austin residential area but never really visited that place because it is far from where I'm residing...sorry. I'm living in Skudai district which is near to The Paradigm Mall and Sutera Mall. My house is about 10km from JB City.

I'm not really sure but I heard from a friend they have good F&B there. Anyway, those big shopping malls are quite near to Mount Austin so I guess it is a good place to rest and relax too.

Though I have been living in JB permanently since 2005 I rarely go to Mount Austin.

Joe Mahmood

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It’s a double edged sword- you can say suay, I can also say they heng. How many Malaysians from JB to KL to as far as Ipoh have come to Singapore to work and earn a good living here and some lucky ones even manage to get PR/citizenship.

Yes, we Singaporeans bring up their cost of living by going over consistently every day and live like kings; at the same time, we cannot discount the fact that a lot of them work in Singapore as blue collar workers and get paid in Sing dollar and cross the bridge daily and spend in Ringgit as well.

Many of them came from northern, western and eastern peninsula Malaysia to JB. Many too came from Sabah and Sarawak to JB to look for jobs too. Thenceforth, many of them too try their luck to look for jobs in SG for more better income.

Those Malaysian students studying in SG for many years, from student passes to PR status then subsequently they would apply or are offered by SG Gov to become Singaporeans. Most of their parents are either working in SG with PR Status or already Singaporeans. And every weekends or long weekends or school holidays or on annual leaves, they go back home to JB or go back home to other states within peninsula Malaysia. Many too go back home to JB everyday after work.

Last edited:

Joe Mahmood

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
LOL cost of living low? One bowl of laksa cost RM6 at a coffeeshop along the streets. If I’m earning Singapore dollar, divided by 3, okay lah. If you’re earning ringgit, RM6 is a low cost of living?

Its true. If they live and work in JB, they would feel the cost of living is high. But then again, eventhough they are earning RM1500 per month, they can still have a comfortable life if they don't always eat outside or shop unnecessarily. Their marketing expenses is still low. If they stay further north, outside of city area is even better because is cheaper. Utility bills are subsidized by the government. Water and Electricity are cheap. If less than RM25 a month, not to pay. There are plenty of low cost housing estated further up north for the locals.

For Malaysians, when they visit government clinics and hospitals in their area for minor sickness, they only have to pay RM1 for consultation and medicines. For infants, visiting government clinics or hospitals in their area for monthly medical checkup, it is free.

So they must know how to budget and live within their means...just like in SG.

Joe Mahmood

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Agree also. I don't regard this kind of lifestyle to be a king's unless you regard quality of life to be defined as "3 houses in jb, 2 cars, 1 motorbike(used for cross border commute), 1 year go overseas holiday 2 times."

Yes it is a hustle, when you have a remainder of only 3 useable hours at home, after subtracting the 3-4 hours on the daily journey? Where is the balance?

I think for those working in the shift hours, 7am to 3pm or 7am to 7pm or 7pm to 7am, they would feel very tired and sleepy while on the way to work or while at work in SG because not enough rest and sleep. They will not have a life unless they have two days off every week. One day off is not enough.

However, those working on shift hours from 3pm to 11pm or 11pm to 7am or working on office hours job from 9am to 6pm or working on retail hour from 12pm to 10pm - is not so bad, they don't really feel so sleepy. Still have enough rest and sleep. Still have some life to enjoy and relax too. Though with one day or one and half day rest off day every week is sufficient. Two days off every week is even better.

What matters most here is this. When you stay in JB and work in SG, you must have good discipline and attitude, know when you should sleep, know when you must wake up, leave the house and reach the JB checkpoint then cross over to SG. Same sequence too when you are going back home to JB after your work.

All about timing, good discipline and attitude. At the end of the month you will have a big smile on your face.

Last edited:

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Some tips to share here...

If you thinking of buying groceries, you can shop at Kipmart supermarket at Tampoi, Econ Save Supermarkets and Giant Supermarkets in small towns in the north within Johor state. And if you want to buy a domestic wholesale food items, household items, wedding decorative items etc, I would recommend you to go to COWBOY supermarket in Kulai town. You can buy all those things you want under one roof. It is three of four storey building near Kulai Bus Terminal and KTM Train Station.

Along the way to Kulai, there is also a supermarket, wet market, F&B at Silang. Many locals go there too to shop and relax too. At night there is Chinese live music performances while you eat at the mainly Chinese food hawker centre. They serve seafoods too. Beers are sold there too.

From JB you go by Skudai Road highway to the north...

Thanks for the tips.

The places shared are where many JB residents do their shopping without having to enter the city proper. Kulai and Senai still have their original town centres preserved with the old markets and shophouses. The Malaysia TV food personality A Xian (aka Jason) has covered these towns in his programmes.

One can also take the EDL/E14 from JB checkpoint to bypass JB and the traffic on Skudai Road.

beanstalk6

Reaction score

Not sure if any place in Singapore comes close. Mt Austin is like those college towns outside of KL, like Sunway and Nilai. The young, college crowd drives the businesses and are highly visible at all hours. In the evenings, they make up the supper crowd, and much of the KTV and pub clientele.

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I think it's better you try to stay there a night then you tell us :s13:
Mount Austin is a very popular place for youngster or young family. What's there? Tons of bb tea, café, international restaurants .....

The happening place is around Austin height 8/14 to 8/6, after the water park.
This area more for evening crowd.
I found another area is just opposite Austin height, Jalan Austin Heights Utama. This place is full of makan, good place for breakfast and lunch. But crossing the road is a big headache :s13:

Airbnb or hotel?
For 2-3 ppl, hotel is cheaper. Austin Park hotel, stay twice, quiet, big room and comfortable.
For more than 4ppl, Airbnb should be cheaper. Look at the location, some very far away, some very nosiy, your choice.

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh I see.

Maybe just go Sutera Mall area. They have hotels there just outside Sutera Mall, retail and f&b shops. Free parkings but I'm not sure whether they have gyms there. Paradigm Mall and Platino Condo not far either, just take grab or taxi or drive you reach will there within 5 to 10 mins.

I used to like Sutera Mall area, main reason close to Paradigm Mall. But can't compare with Mount Austin for food choice and comfortable hotel. I wish there is a comfortable hotel close by :D

tiertime

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
there is no shopping at Mount Austin at all, still have to grab to Tebrau City/ Toppan

the last time i tried mentai sushi @ mount austin, the standard at this branch is not as good as the one at Tun Aminah , wont go to this branch again

Wat other nice food at Mount Austin?

megaweb

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Malaysia reports 20+ COVID-19 cases daily and never report the place of infection. I think it is good not to go Malaysia for this period.

megaweb

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

My family ate dinner @ Morganfield last weekend. Big portion, delicious and value for money.

My colleague tried Japanese food @ Manzen Japanese Cuisine 3 weeks ago and said nice and fresh.

Last edited:

tiertime

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Malaysia reports 20+ COVID-19 cases daily and never report the place of infection. I think it is good not to go Malaysia for this period.

Was there a report that more people die from seasonal flu than Covid-19...

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
there is no shopping at Mount Austin at all, still have to grab to Tebrau City/ Toppan

the last time i tried mentai sushi @ mount austin, the standard at this branch is not as good as the one at Tun Aminah , wont go to this branch again

The Atlas for breakfast, nice
Myeong Dong Korean bbq buffet, cheap but not much choice.
One 2 eat, very nice and cooling for lunch.

I stay mount Austin for dinner and breakfast, than grab to Paradigm. rm$20+

Aaagogo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ESrr-Vb-GWAAE11v-U.png

Was there a report that more people die from seasonal flu than Covid-19...

Reaction score

Not sure if any place in Singapore comes close. Mt Austin is like those college towns outside of KL, like Sunway and Nilai. The young, college crowd drives the businesses and are highly visible at all hours. In the evenings, they make up the supper crowd, and much of the KTV and pub clientele.

I think it's better you try to stay there a night then you tell us :s13:
Mount Austin is a very popular place for youngster or young family. What's there? Tons of bb tea, café, international restaurants .....

The happening place is around Austin height 8/14 to 8/6, after the water park.
This area more for evening crowd.
I found another area is just opposite Austin height, Jalan Austin Heights Utama. This place is full of makan, good place for breakfast and lunch. But crossing the road is a big headache :s13:

Airbnb or hotel?
For 2-3 ppl, hotel is cheaper. Austin Park hotel, stay twice, quiet, big room and comfortable.
For more than 4ppl, Airbnb should be cheaper. Look at the location, some very far away, some very nosiy, your choice.

I briefly browsed airbnb , it's like $3x per day I think need to take weekend so $6x ba. I'm driving so I was wondering if Mount Austin is the good location . the food is good. any massage there?

I kinda like Southkey ( more like SG ) rather than Paradigm or KSL . If compare Paradigm and Aeon Tebrau , I prefer the latter also.

I ever stay in KSL apartments ( like that lor.. no oomph ).

I was thinking of a condo with gym facilities la..

Thanks

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
JB very suay due to the proximity to Sg and that a lot of stupid Sg birds that go to JB and keep commenting "wah, this cheap, that cheap, so cheap cheap..."

in the immediate SG vicinity of JB, the standard of living is equal to, or worst in some places exceed, KL :s22:

This scenario has since spread throughout MY., not only in JB. :(:(

megaweb

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My family stayed at AirBnB there last weekend. The place is called Menara Hartamas Homestay from Google Map. We stayed at 13th storey Block B, 1 night is S$58 (4 pax) excluding cleaning fee. No gym facilities and swimming but excellent wifi speed (up to 200Mbps). The place is walking distance all eating places. If you search "SPA Austin Heights", there are 9 SPA shops around that place. The place has private carpark at level 4 in the building. This is important as surrounding is confirmed carppark full unless you are very lucky. Super congested carpark with youngster crowds. There is 7 eleven shop and family mart walking distance.

Toppen Shopping Centre and Aeon Tebrau City is nearby.

Last edited:

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I briefly browsed airbnb , it's like $3x per day I think need to take weekend so $6x ba. I'm driving so I was wondering if Mount Austin is the good location . the food is good. any massage there?

I kinda like Southkey ( more like SG ) rather than Paradigm or KSL . If compare Paradigm and Aeon Tebrau , I prefer the latter also.

I ever stay in KSL apartments ( like that lor.. no oomph ).

I was thinking of a condo with gym facilities la..

Thanks

Go look at Southkey Mosaic, I stayed there few months back and it's a good experience. Walking distance and I believe there's a gym but you'll have to go and check details yourself coz we're there for shopping that time, not hang around the condo so didn't really bother about facilities.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.