Chasing the Northern Lights - Iceland

hithere1

Reaction score
I am travelling to Iceland as well, for 11days from 22mar-2apr

It's going to be a self drive, and we will be getting a medium SUV 4x4, an overkill, but I feel it's safer to have a heavier car given the strong wind

Still undecided on whether or not to do a full circle, since the north eastern part of Iceland has the least attractions, and there is a long stretch of road that seems to be closed frequently.

Deciding between:
-Full circle, clockwise direction so Golden Circle is at the back
-Drive north to Akureyri, head back to Reykjavik then Golden Circle and Vik

Also, how are you all planning your contingencies, in the unfortunate case of road closure or bad weather. Do you book hotels/bnb with free cancellation?

yrh0413

Reaction score
I did not book any of my accommodations at Iceland other than the first day; as a few of my friends warned me that weather may screw up my plan.

I plan to check the road conditions and weather forecast in the morning then book for the night.

It's going to be a self drive, and we will be getting a medium SUV 4x4, an overkill, but I feel it's safer to have a heavier car given the strong wind

Still undecided on whether or not to do a full circle, since the north eastern part of Iceland has the least attractions, and there is a long stretch of road that seems to be closed frequently.

Deciding between:

Also, how are you all planning your contingencies, in the unfortunate case of road closure or bad weather. Do you book hotels/bnb with free cancellation?

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Deciding between:

4x4 is not overkill as late March is considered late winter period.
Since the Accommodation is cheaper during that period, alright to spend more on a better vehicle for safety.

The distance covered of going from Reykjavik to Akureyri, to golden circle, vik and back to Reykjavik is almost comparable to a whole ring road drive and u will also miss out on jokulsarlon and diamond beach that is on the south Eastern coast.

10 to 11 days are enough to do a whole ring road drive (excluding West fjords and kirkufell) although some 2 to 3 days might required a very long drive.

I always book accommodation early to avoid paying more on the last minute and always go for free cancellation. But if u planned to book day by day then no need to worry about road closure bad weather etc that will affect your plan. But u know weather is something that nobody can control. If want to visit Iceland in a calm weather, then July to august is the best but everything is very expensive. I did a whole ring road drive and the most "boring" route was from hofn to vik. Northern region has much prettier and nicer drive (Akureyri to Egilsstaðir)

hithere1

Reaction score
4x4 is not overkill as late March is considered late winter period.
Since the Accommodation is cheaper during that period, alright to spend more on a better vehicle for safety.

The distance covered of going from Reykjavik to Akureyri, to golden circle, vik and back to Reykjavik is almost comparable to a whole ring road drive and u will also miss out on jokulsarlon and diamond beach that is on the south Eastern coast.

10 to 11 days are enough to do a whole ring road drive (excluding West fjords and kirkufell) although some 2 to 3 days might required a very long drive.

I always book accommodation early to avoid paying more on the last minute and always go for free cancellation. But if u planned to book day by day then no need to worry about road closure bad weather etc that will affect your plan. But u know weather is something that nobody can control. If want to visit Iceland in a calm weather, then July to august is the best but everything is very expensive. I did a whole ring road drive and the most "boring" route was from hofn to vik. Northern region has much prettier and nicer drive (Akureyri to Egilsstaðir)

I did not book any of my accommodations at Iceland other than the first day; as a few of my friends warned me that weather may screw up my plan.

I plan to check the road conditions and weather forecast in the morning then book for the night.

Ideally, would prefer to do the full Route 1 too, I guess I'll take the conservative approach to book hotels with free cancellation first, and as we start clockwise, hope the weather and road condition permits us to pass through the north eastern region

Shanice78

Reaction score
The Northern area of Iceland are more prone to ice and snowy conditions during the winter . U should consider going anti clock direction 1st so that u explore North area in the late march rather the mid march period.

Hi there,

Wondering with the wuhan coronavirus going on, will kenna reject from getting into UK?

Thanks

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Wondering with the wuhan coronavirus going on, will kenna reject from getting into UK?

Thanks

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-information-for-the-public

Seem like if travellers have those symptoms. Need to be quarantined too

yrh0413

Reaction score
I’m at Schiphol airport now, will touchdown at Reykjavik in 3 hours time.

Do be extra careful at the airport and in the plane. Almost all EU major cities have way more cases than SG yet I don’t see anyone wearing a mask.

It’s winter time and coughs are common sights everywhere.

Hi,

Do update on ur trip!! Enjoy!! Can’t wait to go over on this weekend.

yrh0413

Reaction score
No regrets booking airBnB every morning for a place to stay on the same day. We drove from Reykjavik to Vik yesterday, the weather turned from sunny to windy and hazy in the evening... we manage to reach our airBnB at Vik right before road closure.

Saw some tweets saying a few tourists were stranded at Vik and they can’t travel back to Reykjavík to catch their flight.

Day 2 in Iceland, no chance of Northern Lights yet.

Shanice78

Reaction score
No regrets booking airBnB every morning for a place to stay on the same day. We drove from Reykjavik to Vik yesterday, the weather turned from sunny to windy and hazy in the evening... we manage to reach our airBnB at Vik right before road closure.

Saw some tweets saying a few tourists were stranded at Vik and they can’t travel back to Reykjavík to catch their flight.

Thanks for the update. Hope to catch the northern light too!!

hithere1

Reaction score

Stay safe and do keep us updated

Hope you see the NL soon too

I'm scheduled to travel there next week but KIV-ing for now

yrh0413

Reaction score
Yeah I’m getting worried on how to get back to Singapore. More and more EU nations are lockdown I hope I can still get a flight back

hithere1

Reaction score
Yeah I’m getting worried on how to get back to Singapore. More and more EU nations are lockdown I hope I can still get a flight back

you haven't booked a return flight? LHR transit should be safest for now

this was taken from MOH today
https://www.moh.gov.sg/news-highlig...ther-importation-and-spread-of-covid-19-cases

"Given the increase in imported cases from European countries, we are putting in place new border restrictions"

"Residents (Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents) with recent travel history to Italy, France, Spain and Germany within the last 14 days"

Shanice78

Reaction score
Stay safe and do keep us updated

Hope you see the NL soon too

I'm scheduled to travel there next week but KIV-ing for now

I’m flying to London later today. My hubby will in London 2 week earlier.

He reminded me not to wear mask when pass thru the immigration.

yrh0413

Reaction score
Take care and wish you luck!

I just heard from the locals that they haven’t seen aurora for weeks. Weather is really bad :(

I’m flying to London later today. My hubby will in London 2 week earlier.

He reminded me not to wear mask when pass thru the immigration.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.