[newbie q] defensive driving

seowhaha

Reaction score
just like to ask the experts here. when you see a queue forming up in the lane next to yours, do you slow down in anticipation that some drivers in that queue may suddenly filter into your lane?

I've been surprised several times by such drivers, had to brake very suddenly...

Last edited:

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No, just accelerate. They hit you, their fault. Mai scared.

edwinttt1978

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just like to ask the experts here. when you see a queue forming up in the lane next to yours, do you slow down in anticipation that some drivers in that queue may suddenly filter into your lane?

I've been surprised several times by such drivers, had to brake very suddenly...

It depends whether you are a perverse driver or a safe and prudent driver.

In a perverse way, if you hit the vehicle filtering out into your lane, the fault is on that vehicle, provided the point of impact is anywhere on the fender.
7gKTgQO.jpg

As most cars are sluggish when moving from stationary position, it is likely that without slowing down, you will hit the fender of that emerging vehicle and win the case (unless a motorcyclist or jaywalker emerges.)

If you have to get involved in an accident, at least ensure that you win. However, the safe and prudent driver, knowing that accidents expend time, energy, and money, would anticipate such behaviour and take reasonable steps to avoid an accident.

If you hit them well, their fault. They hit you, their fault. Their stakes are higher if they are taxis, private hires and BlueSG cars.

seowhaha

Reaction score
prefer not to get into the hassle of an accident, hence I'll brake. My worry is some day someone tailgating me couldn't brake in time...

snip82

Reaction score
encounter a number of time the car always side swivel in to change lane with their front car body cut-in.. they dun do proper lane change.. sibei ccb..

IcYFl4mEz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It depends whether you are a perverse driver or a safe and prudent driver.

In a perverse way, if you hit the vehicle filtering out into your lane, the fault is on that vehicle, provided the point of impact is anywhere on the fender.
7gKTgQO.jpg

As most cars are sluggish when moving from stationary position, it is likely that without slowing down, you will hit the fender of that emerging vehicle and win the case (unless a motorcyclist or jaywalker emerges.)

If you have to get involved in an accident, at least ensure that you win. However, the safe and prudent driver, knowing that accidents expend time, energy, and money, would anticipate such behaviour and take reasonable steps to avoid an accident.

If you hit them well, their fault. They hit you, their fault. Their stakes are higher if they are taxis, private hires and BlueSG cars.

My fren kana, the car came out too sudden and fast, he going straight he hit the car gas cap area. become 3/7 .

skytan13

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Also in those situation you don’t get to choose what car is that

Malaysia car plate gxgx

ttmaxx

Reaction score
Ya la bro! When you request to take defensive driving, the court will make you pay “court costs” which usually run a hundred dollars or more, but you are no longer required to pay the “fine” stated on the ticket.

z030005

Reaction score

I will either keep the same speed or slow down.

My reasoning:
1) Nobody (except the the workshop) wins in car accident
2) There'll be time that you're the one that need to filter out because of you're in wrong lane or in hurry.

blackestvoid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hands on the horn and drive normal speed
the moment see any weird movement press horn nonstop and either bang the idiot who change lane or kena bang by tailgater behind or both
either way you win
remember to post video to stomp, youtube, facebook, edmw, etc

edwinttt1978

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My fren kana, the car came out too sudden and fast, he going straight he hit the car gas cap area. become 3/7 .

While all insurers use the Barometer of Liability Agreement (BOLA) to quickly determine the apportionment of liability, the courts rely on the more complicated Motor Accident Guide (MAG). Insurers must anticipate the likely apportionment should the case goes to court, as in the case of this said friend.

Under scenario 20 of the MAG, speed and signalling are considered when changing lane.

eQa9Z1f.jpg

fzwGE0D.jpg

hoho85

Reaction score
Speaking of Queues, I also wanna ask for your opinions in this scenario.
- me inside a queue at traffic red light.
- me spotted my right lane no cars , so intended to signal right and change lane.
- same time and moment, the car behind wants to do the same action as me.
- however the car honk at me and speed up to change lane, making sure i no chance to go out.
- i no choice give him first then i go out after that.

My thoughts are, is this the usual way? I thought the car behind would see me signal and would give way to me since i am in front of him.

Byakuya

Reaction score
- me spotted my right lane no cars , so intended to signal right and change lane.
- however the car honk at me and speed up to change lane, making sure i no chance to go out.

My thoughts are, is this the usual way? I thought the car behind would see me signal and would give way to me since i am in front of him.

depends who is changing lane. if both changing lanes then if he hit your back then his fault.

if he's already out in the lane (finished changing) and you are only halfway then you should go back in

hoho85

Reaction score
depends who is changing lane. if both changing lanes then if he hit your back then his fault.

if he's already out in the lane (finished changing) and you are only halfway then you should go back in

Ah, the scenario here is both of us changing lane at the same time. When i signalled, i didn't see any cars on that lane, until i kena honked, then realized the car right behind me also doing the same, but he demands that i give him way :eek:

edwinttt1978

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

The exact scenario - the collision of two cars in the same lane changing lane at the same time to another same lane - is not specified in BOLA or MAG.

So, the usual policy may apply: the car which gets into the lane first wins.

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The exact scenario - the collision of two cars in the same lane changing lane at the same time to another same lane - is not specified in BOLA or MAG.

So, the usual policy may apply: the car which gets into the lane first wins.

This case the taxi was an arse, anyway taxi fault, the car already in the lane when he hit the car, so ... too bad.

kurtgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
anyone utilize their skillcredits for defensive driving?

i have enrolled with comfort, on the 18th of April.
$250, for 4 hrs.
comes with complimentary carpark :)

bh10101

Reaction score
is it open to all? or only to taxi & PHV drivers?

anyone utilize their skillcredits for defensive driving?

i have enrolled with comfort, on the 18th of April. $250, for 4 hrs.
comes with complimentary carpark :)

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Ah, the scenario here is both of us changing lane at the same time. When i signalled, i didn't see any cars on that lane, until i kena honked, then realized the car right behind me also doing the same, but he demands that i give him way :eek:

IMHO.
I would say the signal time is very short between your intended to signal and your actual signal. It is though you signaled and change lane immediately.

In the same scenario, just signal, check, re-check and go. Less ambiguity

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.