2.0 & 2.1 speaker discussion thread V [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeYoKe

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Finally gotten myself the Hivi (Swans) M300... Lazada had a leap year deal so chop chop gotten it.

Actually does the M300 contains a DAC?

Does it mean if I optical out from motherboard, it is using the DAC from the mobo?

Swans m200mk3+ and m300 has a burrbrown dac inside

tomb

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is there any way to set the startup volume on the edifier r1280db?

Red_herring

Reaction score
Guys, looking to upgrade my setup. Got any good bookshelf + amp recommendations?

Currently using q acoustics 3020 with nad d3020 (v1).

Amp wise, I still prefer class d and was looking at the nad m10 but it is above my budget. Streaming good to have but not compulsory. Open to other suggestions, only constraint is size and budget

While speakers, really need some recommendations. Preferably something that pairs well with your amp recommendation.

Prefer to keep max at below $5k.

Or should I just save money and get the kef lsx?

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score
lsx will likely solve a lot of your problems.

this also leads to the next qn, what is the size constraints.

that will give us a better gauge of what can fit in.

i would think a decent class d amp, can be about $1-2k, decent speakers will be about the same $1-2k. should be within your budget.

petetherock

Reaction score
Guys, looking to upgrade my setup. Got any good bookshelf + amp recommendations?

Currently using q acoustics 3020 with nad d3020 (v1).

Amp wise, I still prefer class d and was looking at the nad m10 but it is above my budget. Streaming good to have but not compulsory. Open to other suggestions, only constraint is size and budget

While speakers, really need some recommendations. Preferably something that pairs well with your amp recommendation.

Prefer to keep max at below $5k.

Or should I just save money and get the kef lsx?
5k?
Is the LS50 in your range?
Coaxial speakers do well at close range.
But bass hungry folks may like a amp speaker plus sub combo

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Amir should eventually get to measuring one of the Q Acoustics speakers, so we will know what are considered upgrades to that by then.

Meanwhile here's the LS50
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/kef-ls50-bookshelf-speaker-review.11144/

Some people/owners claim LS50W performs differently from LS50, others claim they are the same. Only time will tell.

IIRC so far the best speaker he's measured is the https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nelec-8341a-sam™-studio-monitor-review.11652/ but that is overbudget.

JBL 705P is somewhat ok although I don't feel it is that good in terms of value. Considering at those prices I want a perfect frequency response.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/jbl-705p-studio-monitor-review.11944/

Because we have things like Elac Debut Reference that provides very good performance for much less money.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-debut-reference-dbr-62-speaker-review.12232/

Some speakers like the Elac Debut Reference above and the Klipsch RP-600M can give nearly-perfect FR after EQ so that is something to consider. IIRC, LS50 also reacts well to EQ.

Buchardt Audio speakers are also in the review pipeline.

Last edited:

Red_herring

Reaction score
lsx will likely solve a lot of your problems.

this also leads to the next qn, what is the size constraints.

that will give us a better gauge of what can fit in.

i would think a decent class d amp, can be about $1-2k, decent speakers will be about the same $1-2k. should be within your budget.

Speakers wise constraints is the depth max is about 260, width about 220, give and take a few mm. That's due to table size issue.

Amplifier is placed nearby and max size is width 300 & depth 350.

Prefer separate amp and speaker but the lsx really looks like a good all in one simple solution though and will also help to clear up all my messy cables running everywhere over the desk. :D

Edit: added more info :D

Last edited:

Red_herring

Reaction score
5k?
Is the LS50 in your range?
Coaxial speakers do well at close range.
But bass hungry folks may like a amp speaker plus sub combo

Yeah, was thinking of getting the passive ls50 with an amp, but I asked atlas and they told me they got no stock for the passive. Think the depth may be slightly too long, need to go back measure.

Not going for subwoofer though

Edit some typos. Thanks!

Last edited:

Red_herring

Reaction score
Amir should eventually get to measuring one of the Q Acoustics speakers, so we will know what are considered upgrades to that by then.

Meanwhile here's the LS50
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/kef-ls50-bookshelf-speaker-review.11144/

Some people/owners claim LS50W performs differently from LS50, others claim they are the same. Only time will tell.

IIRC so far the best speaker he's measured is the https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nelec-8341a-sam™-studio-monitor-review.11652/ but that is overbudget.

JBL 705P is somewhat ok although I don't feel it is that good in terms of value. Considering at those prices I want a perfect frequency response.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/jbl-705p-studio-monitor-review.11944/

Because we have things like Elac Debut Reference that provides very good performance for much less money.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-debut-reference-dbr-62-speaker-review.12232/

Some speakers like the Elac Debut Reference above and the Klipsch RP-600M can give nearly-perfect FR after EQ so that is something to consider. IIRC, LS50 also reacts well to EQ.

Buchardt Audio speakers are also in the review pipeline.

Thanks! I will go read them up! My preference is still going passive speakers rather than actives. Gives me more excuse to upgrade. :D

Amon86

Reaction score
Yeah, was thinking of getting the passive ls50 with an amp, but I asked atlas and they told me they got no stock for the passive. Think the depth may be slightly too long, need to go back measure.

Not going for subwoofer though

Edit some typos. Thanks!

you should save abit more go for R3 though those had better bass and better soundstage and is more easy to drive than LS50....for amp below 2k can get you Cyrus one hd class D had USB B at the back for your computer

Last edited:

Red_herring

Reaction score
you should save abit more go for R3 though those had better bass and better soundstage and is more easy to drive than LS50....for amp below 2k can get you Cyrus one hd class D had USB B at the back for your computer

Thanks for your recommendations! Sadly, r3 dimensions is too deep. Think it will be way too close to the wall.

petetherock

Reaction score
Thanks for your recommendations! Sadly, r3 dimensions is too deep. Think it will be way too close to the wall.

IMO a single coaxial drive like the LS 50 is good, and if bass is lacking, add a sub. At such close distances, having two drivers is not an advantage..

Amon86

Reaction score

See my space not really big as well I find LS50 lack of the fullest if i played games like call of duty and etc

my LS50
Kw3ZpAZh.jpg

my SP40 sounded best for FPS
sStQdnxh.jpg

I also switch to PMC from time to time
vs5Lq35h.jpg

Last edited:

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Red_herring

Reaction score
See my space not really big as well I find LS50 lack of the fullest if i played games like call of duty and etc

my LS50

my SP40 sounded best for FPS

I also switch to PMC from time to time

Nice setup! My table should be smaller then yours, I'm only using a 27" monitor and my table is already almost maxed out.

Is that the Naim Uniti Atom i see near the bottom right side of your monitor? How do you find the pairing with LS50?

You got a crazy collection of speakers! I can only afford the LS50 out of those 3... Each getting more ex than the previous one.....

Red_herring

Reaction score
Oh yea R3 is good
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/kef-r3-speaker-review.12021/

$2.7k is a good fit for the budget. A pity if it is too big.

Well there's this thing if you're a fan of ELAC...
https://www.lazada.sg/products/elac...42.searchlist.list.13.4c9b4f87jNkJgj&search=1

There's ELAC Adante too. But honestly coaxial speakers are more problems than they are worth. Amir's measurements of the Adante isn't too stellar. And so isn't the the one for LS50.

Thanks! I'll drop by adelphi tomorrow to give those elacs a listen! Sadly, really not enough space for R3... The R3 in walnut is just so nice to look at.....:love:

I previously had good impressions on Dali speakers, anyone here got any extensive experience with Dali?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.