NIE admission anyone? - Part 2

b4zabeat

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just want to ask what’s the salary range for non fresh grads joining as untrained teacher? For eg you’ve only had 1 FT job experience. Will they match to your last drawn?

Some mid career switchers to teachers whom I met mostly had to take a pay cut

For your reference, fresh grads get about 2.8-3.5 based on the moe website

b4zabeat

Reaction score
Hi all, I went for interview on 26 March and received EPT email 2 days back. Then today MOE just called me asking if I want to try for Pri Chinese instead. I told them I prefer art.

Does that mean I’m already rejected for art hence they offered me Chinese? Appreciate any reply. Thanks!

Probably means there is more vacancies for pri chinese than art. May help to increase your chances of getting in moe if you are ok with it.

But you might need to re-interview again cos its a different subject. Happened to my friend before, after interviewing for sec math and physics, was told to try pri el and math and had to interview second time.

chlennis

Reaction score
Probably means there is more vacancies for pri chinese than art. May help to increase your chances of getting in moe if you are ok with it.

But you might need to re-interview again cos its a different subject. Happened to my friend before, after interviewing for sec math and physics, was told to try pri el and math and had to interview second time.

Ohh ok. Oh well, I’ve already reject Pri Chinese so I guess I’ll just wait for the next email. Thanks!

Reaction score
Have a feeling there wont be any incoming batch of trainee teachers in june/july. Medical centres will only attend to life threatening cases. Thus, pre-employment checkups will not be possible for now.

Olympiadane

Reaction score
Have a feeling there wont be any incoming batch of trainee teachers in june/july. Medical centres will only attend to life threatening cases. Thus, pre-employment checkups will not be possible for now.

Actually I think pre-employment checkups will continue but the processing time will definitely take longer. Cause i still have a med check up for another job this week

Reaction score
Actually I think pre-employment checkups will continue but the processing time will definitely take longer. Cause i still have a med check up for another job this week

The medical checkup that was scheduled, was it planned prior or after PM Lee's directives?

I guess its a possibility that we start our teaching stint in Jan 2021. :'(

CherKels

Reaction score
The medical checkup that was scheduled, was it planned prior or after PM Lee's directives?

Chill dude. Why so anxious? How to be a teacher when you’re so anxious over little thingsssss

b4zabeat

Reaction score
Dont be disheartened. Done let anybody tell you that you cant do something, or if something is not meant for you. I feel like for interviews, its a matter of chemistry. It could be that the bunch of interviewers that you get simply just dont like you. The same thing applies when it comes to making friends-first impression counts, and people will form an impression of you even within that short period of time.

I still recall how much stick i got for my first interview two years ago. But this time around, they seemed to like me a lot more.

Agree with you, it's a matter of chemistry just like most interviews.

When I retry second time, somehow the panel doesnt like me and it ended quickly. Got rejected very fast too

jtayyy

Reaction score

I do not think that is possible. I have friends from the first application window which is June 2019, they have received their appointment letter and have yet to attend the briefing. They will be starting in June 2020 for untrained teaching stint. It’s not possible for MOE to only accept one window of untrained PGDE trainees for the PGDE NIE programme, and teach such a small cohort/ class size from just one window of MOE application.

Plus, every single year MOE welcomes a batch of untrained Teachers as increased manpower from June to December. If they were to push back everyone, they wouldn’t have sufficient people to admit to NIE during December 2020 and this would mean a drop in supply of freshly trained teachers two years down the road, not to mention that in June they will be facing lesser Teachers manpower.

Yes our application may be delayed and we will receive notifications and updates perhaps much later than prior batches as this is an unprecedented covid situation we are facing, but if MOE truly needs the teaching manpower, I believe they will expedite medical checkups, appointment letters and briefing in the month of May or June. Or we would possibly start in July 2020 instead of June for our untrained teaching stint.

Reaction score
I do not think that is possible. I have friends from the first application window which is June 2019, they have received their appointment letter and have yet to attend the briefing. They will be starting in June 2020 for untrained teaching stint. It’s not possible for MOE to only accept one window of untrained PGDE trainees for the PGDE NIE programme, and teach such a small cohort/ class size from just one window of MOE application.

Plus, every single year MOE welcomes a batch of untrained Teachers as increased manpower from June to December. If they were to push back everyone, they wouldn’t have sufficient people to admit to NIE during December 2020 and this would mean a drop in supply of freshly trained teachers two years down the road, not to mention that in June they will be facing lesser Teachers manpower.

Yes our application may be delayed and we will receive notifications and updates perhaps much later than prior batches as this is an unprecedented covid situation we are facing, but if MOE truly needs the teaching manpower, I believe they will expedite medical checkups, appointment letters and briefing in the month of May or June. Or we would possibly start in July 2020 instead of June for our untrained teaching stint.

This is really heartening to read. Medical checkup is one thing. But if this school closure drags on in June/July, MOE might see it not worthwhile to give any offers that early? Which made me think Jan 2021 could be the next intake. I hope i am wrong though.

jtayyy

Reaction score
This is really heartening to read. Medical checkup is one thing. But if this school closure drags on in June/July, MOE might see it not worthwhile to give any offers that early? Which made me think Jan 2021 could be the next intake. I hope i am wrong though.

If I am MOE I will consider the fact that if I don’t send offer letters out this year, two years down the road I would be getting lesser freshly graduated teachers by then. For subjects that need teachers - which would be for chinese subject, I don’t think MOE can cope with lesser Teachers who graduate from NIE. If they don’t have enough they would have to out source to find more Teachers to cope with the demand

b4zabeat

Reaction score
If I am MOE I will consider the fact that if I don’t send offer letters out this year, two years down the road I would be getting lesser freshly graduated teachers by then. For subjects that need teachers - which would be for chinese subject, I don’t think MOE can cope with lesser Teachers who graduate from NIE. If they don’t have enough they would have to out source to find more Teachers to cope with the demand

These days MOE is focusing on replacement of retired teachers and those who left. Yes, they focus more on hiring teachers for subjects that need more teachers such as mother tongue. But I don't think they will have a lack of teachers

Last edited:

earlgreymilktea

Reaction score
Has anyone from the August'19 batch receive anything so far?
Pretty worried about the potential impact of the COVID-19 situation on the processing of the June'20 batch. Is anyone planning to email them to ask about it?
Hopefully we can update each other on any new progress! Good luck!

Reaction score
Has anyone from the August'19 batch receive anything so far?
Pretty worried about the potential impact of the COVID-19 situation on the processing of the June'20 batch. Is anyone planning to email them to ask about it?
Hopefully we can update each other on any new progress! Good luck!

Interested to know at which stage of the timeline you are at. Whats the last update the aug 19 batch has received?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.