MacBook Air 2020

madcampus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

The new 2020 MacBook Air still shares the same internal layout as the previous version. The fan is not positioned at the heat sink. So there's a high chance the CPU will thermal throttle itself (low performance) or fried itself due to overheating.

plsbanthem

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

The new 2020 MacBook Air still shares the same internal layout as the previous version. The fan is not positioned at the heat sink. So there's a high chance the CPU will thermal throttle itself (low performance) or fried itself due to overheating.

I was worried about this but not anymore after reading many comments and reviews.

The heat only become an issue if you are doing intensive tasks, such as video rendering, streaming, photoshop, etc etc at the same time. If you think u are going to be doing these, I suggest you get the Macbook Pro.

The Air is not for these purposes.

It can handle the most basic computer tasks with ease (emails, youtube, webbrowsing, microsoft office).

Yah chill.

parkson

Reaction score

That is if you are doing intensive tasks, most people buying a macbook air won't be doing any of those and it will be absolutely fine for normal everyday use.

USBThumbDrive

Reaction score
That is if you are doing intensive tasks, most people buying a macbook air won't be doing any of those and it will be absolutely fine for normal everyday use.

Totally agree, if you dig deeper into some review. The temperature you're feeling is just around 40+ degree which is the common temperature you will be feeling in the keypad in almost all laptop of this factor.

Last edited:

madcampus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

True. But as years go by, with every OS updates, every program updates, more process intensive web browsing, more memory needed to stream HD youtube/netflix etc, the 2020 macbook air will heat up very quickly say in 2023. Just like how my 2012 MBP is already heating up to high 70/80 degree activated high fan speed (macs fan control) surfing on youtube/netflix with Chrome browser.

Although the specs are good for this new MBA, the performance are impeded by this flawed layout. Hence I'll wait for the new 13/14" MBP which rumour said is coming end of this month. :s22:

Shutterfly

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
True. But as years go by, with every OS updates, every program updates, more process intensive web browsing, more memory needed to stream HD youtube/netflix etc, the 2020 macbook air will heat up very quickly say in 2023. Just like how my 2012 MBP is already heating up to high 70/80 degree activated high fan speed (macs fan control) surfing on youtube/netflix with Chrome browser.

Although the specs are good for this new MBA, the performance are impeded by this flawed layout. Hence I'll wait for the new 13/14" MBP which rumour said is coming end of this month. :s22:

Really? End of this month?

dawntime

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Received mine mid noon.

Pretty great machine so far post-setup, yet to start work on it to judge its suitability.

Also eyeing the upcoming 13.3/14” pro model

MilgaussSC

Reaction score
Received mine mid noon.

Pretty great machine so far post-setup, yet to start work on it to judge its suitability.

Also eyeing the upcoming 13.3/14” pro model
Oh! What was your delivery window? Still waiting on mine. 16th-23rd for me

MilgaussSC

Reaction score
Which model u guys getting?
Ordered the i5, 16gb, 512gb model. I just sold off my 2015, 15 mbp. I no longer do video work, only light photo editing and adobe indesign work. The 2015, 15 inch is the best laptop I’ve ever owned. It’s a workhorse and has never let me down. But everytime i’d walk by an Apple store, I’d try the 13 inch models and the size is really attractive. Was thinking of upgrading last year but the butterfly keyboards really made me consider. No matter how many times I try it, it felt in every way inferior to the older keyboards Apple used to make. I know this MacBook Air has some thermal issues, however with my workflow, I don’t think it will be that big of a deal. Once the laptop comes in, I’ll use it for a week or so. If it’s doesn’t run well, I’ll return it and wait for the 2020 13inch mbp.

Last edited:

dawntime

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ordered the i5, 16gb, 512gb model. I just sold off my 2015, 15 mbp. I no longer do video work, only light photo editing and adobe indesign work. The 2015, 15 inch is the best laptop I’ve ever owned. It’s a workhorse and has never let me down. But everytime i’d walk by an Apple store, I’d try the 13 inch models and the size is really attractive. Was thinking of upgrading last year but the butterfly keyboards really made me consider. No matter how many times I try it, it felt in every way inferior to the older keyboards Apple used to make. I know this MacBook Air has some thermal issues, however with my workflow, I don’t think it will be that big of a deal. Once the laptop comes in, I’ll use it for a week or so. If it’s doesn’t run well, I’ll return it and wait for the 2020 13inch mbp.

I’ve spent some time with it.

During setup and installation phase, it went as high as sub 80 Celsius.

My normal usage include simultaneously running a tab of script-active chrome, safari browsing, and several messaging apps. Typical observed temps hover around 60 to 70 tops.
Netflix on safari went up to similar temps too. I believe this is an acceptable range for what this device is designed for.

I believe you would do fine :)

Keyboard wise this felt like a blend of scissors and butterfly switch. I still have my mid 2016 MBP to compare. If anything, the keys on MBA has less wobble and feels somewhat butterfly-like.
Even went to double check if it really is scissors mechanism lol

Last edited:

isuzui

Reaction score

I also want to upgrade to i5 cos of the quad core but is 16gb ram really needed? Cos I come from a window 10 user, so not sure how powerful iOS ram is.
For me base ssd 256gb should be enough as always can do external drive.

Wow ur spec should be near $2k range, can buy mbp anytime.

isuzui

Reaction score
Btw do you guys purchase the $308 AppleCare+?

If yes, why?
If no, why?

yapsf73

Reaction score
I ordered the same configuration as yours. Ordered on 28 Mar, expected delivery 09 - 17 Apr. Item shipped from China on 14 Apr. As of now, no new updates. May I check how long the item will typically be delivered after the item has shipped?

MilgaussSC

Reaction score
I ordered the same configuration as yours. Ordered on 28 Mar, expected delivery 09 - 17 Apr. Item shipped from China on 14 Apr. As of now, no new updates. May I check how long the item will typically be delivered after the item has shipped?

Mine just left the facility in China yesterday. Ordered on April 3rd. Expected delivery date 16th-23rd

Icterine

Reaction score
Intel is still making 14nm chips for their latest 10th gen series. We need 7nm to bring temps down on these newer ultrathin machines, especially when a number of these are 4/6/8 cores these days...

I own a 16" Macbook Pro and it looks like the same thermal issues are happening on the 2020 MacBook Air.

Last edited:

dawntime

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If DHL Express, 3 days for me

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.